myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winddoggie--If you think about it, Mike Fick holds a grudge longer than my dear departed Irish mother. And he's wrong on all cases on when he has the legal authority to pull the trigger.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't write this shit...
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/03/16823532-american-sniper-author-chris-kyle-fatally-shot-at-texas-gun-range?lite

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He who lives by the sword dies by the sword
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

1. Gun at wife, Okay BUT as a civilian you have to have NO other choice. Otherwise you will spent time in prison.

2. No lights tapping a car???? Are you nuts, so you are driving down the highway in a vehicle and are going to shoot the driver of the other one? Get ready for prison....

3. Semi running cars off the road???? Again you are nuts to think shooting the driver of a semi will be considered appropriate in any state. Get ready for prison....

4. Glass bottles and two thugs, very possible there. But you have to have NO other oportunities for escape and have to fear for your life. I'll give you odds here, but plan on being arrested till the cops and DA get all the facts...

5. Home burglaries???? Once again nope. You have to retreat till you have no other options and then fear for you life, else you are going to prison for manslaughter. Even cops can't shoot burglars.

Mike if you really think the above scenarios are good ones, you have really wasted your time reading the books and attending classes, cause you are really missing the point....

1. In what state (besides CA; it doesn't count) can a person not take ANY action to defend a family member from a gun being pointed at them?

2. Maybe my brevity obscured some facts. I'm tooling down a remote 2-lane highway after midnight and see something vague in my rear view mirror. A close look reveals a car with no lights, within two feet of my rear bumper. I take my foot off the gas so he can go around, but he doesn't. I speed up (I'm driving one of the world's quickest stock cars), and he pulls up beside me and turns on his lights ... in a Ford Falcon.

It ain't stock.

He wants to race, but I've never done that in 53 years of driving, often in some of the fastest cars on the road. It's just stupid. I back off, he leaves. We're done.

Nope; he repeats his game 3-4 more times over the next hour or so. Now, however, we're entering a mountainous area full of sharp curves, where a bumper tap is now known as a PIT maneuver. Hell, yes, he's threatening my life. That's self defense, and lacking bullets to put through his radiator, I'm out of options.

Fast forward a few seconds to when I last saw his headlights come on ... off in the adjacent forest, dodging trees at close to 100 mph.

3. Tires first, then engine or radiator, THEN driver if necessary. Only California could fail to consider an 80,000 tractor trailer deliberately, repeatedly, and physically knocking cars off a freeway at 70+ a deadly act of aggression. (My brother saw one victim go end over end; I was able -- barely -- to evade two other semis who tried that on me.) I have no idea how many of those rogue drivers' other targets may have died.

4. Lesseee ... getting arrested for defending life or limb vs getting hospitalized or having my throat slit ... I think I'll take Door Number One. About 49 states agree.

5. You spent too much time in La La Land. Most of the sane states have the Castle Doctrine, which extends to our car, RV, tent, or cardboard box in many states. Besides, any criminal stupid and bold enough to break into an occupied home IS on drugs, values neither my life nor his own, and IS thus a severe threat to my self and family. Any sensible homeowner will also presume that perp's partner in crime is still on the loose and armed, and act accordingly.

In those and many other cases, getting arrested beats the hell out of dying or letting other involved victims die. The skills which enabled me to save my ass are not readily available to many people, and cell phones didn't exist back then.

Those who don't have a sword when they need one, die.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so full of shit it's stunning
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso, if the act of knocking (plural) "cars" off the road were happening, you'd still be nuts popping off rounds at a moving truck. WTF? Are we living in a Stallone movie? That monster might go airborne and take out a passenger plane, or Mac as he was walking home from the farmers market with his Latte and croisant in hand....

Hold on, is this a script you are writing or is your life more interesting than the most interesting man in the world? I was 19 when I last thought it was prudent to shoot at another man.

However, all joking aside, a man who is quick at determining an imminent threat from a potential threat is best equiped to be packing a pistol. I have found those men to be few and far between. Our founding fathers were certainly more mature than we are as a whole. They actually had faith that we could bear arms in a responsible way.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
So BHO releases this photo of him skeet shooting, I'm sure you've all seen the photo by now.
"Looky, I got a gun too!"
"The ecomony, pull!!!"

I've never shot skeet, so just wondering ... Isn't that an awfully low-flying skeet? And I thought that only Hickock and Oakley shot skeet with a "rifle" (as CBS and Reuters, at least, called it).

Then there's this: http://tinyurl.com/aocusjg , where Reuters cries "foul".

I cry BS ... again.

Last edited by isobars on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Iso, if the act of knocking (plural) "cars" off the road were happening, you'd still be nuts popping off rounds at a moving truck. WTF? Are we living in a Stallone movie? That monster might go airborne and take out a passenger plane, or Mac as he was walking home from the farmers market with his Latte and croisant in hand....

Hold on, is this a script you are writing or is your life more interesting than the most interesting man in the world? I was 19 when I last thought it was prudent to shoot at another man.

However, all joking aside, a man who is quick at determining an imminent threat from a potential threat is best equiped to be packing a pistol. I have found those men to be few and far between. Our founding fathers were certainly more mature than we are as a whole. They actually had faith that we could bear arms in a responsible way.

Laughing Agree with your summary too.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
1. Iso, if the act of knocking (plural) "cars" off the road were happening, you'd still be nuts popping off rounds at a moving truck.

A man who is quick at determining an imminent threat from a potential threat is best equiped to be packing a pistol.

They actually had faith that we could bear arms in a responsible way.

Can you offer a better solution, given a passenger (only Stallone can shoot and drive), no cell phones, innocent people in crashing cars, rural highways with light traffic, and tires and radiators at face height? (No script; I've encountered that twice, my brother once in the millions of miles we've driven in >40 states.)

Is not risking our own freedom to protect others, if not ourselves, being responsible?

How are those incidents not an imminent and grave threat?

How would a "responsible person" handle them, given seconds to react? I've come up with very few, and mostly far-fetched, other responsible options in the decades since those incidents.

What would said responsible person do when watching from shore as a kiter deliberately and repeatedly dive bombs "person's" windsurfing wife with his kiteboard from 40 feet up, crashing onto or two feet in front of her board when he could, kicking it off at her from 40 feet otherwise? How does slashing his tires, as others suggested, protect said wife from grave injury or death? That sounds like highly justified skeet shooting time to me, with a 12-meter inflated pigeon pretty hard to miss except for the range involved. Barbara Greene survived a comparable, single, accidental such collision only through the actions of medical professionals and others RIGHT THERE that near-fatal day at the Hatchery. (The only hypothetical part of that scenario is that I don't know whether his dive-bombing targets were married.)

Why is it worse to disable or even kill some insane or sociopathological criminal than to passively let him maim or kill an innocent victim, including ourselves? Which is easier to accept over the rest of our lives?

All those and many more questions explain why I'm taking all these courses and reading all these books. So far I've escaped personal harm or death through skill and/or luck, I can't expect that to always work, and I'll never know whether any of the rogue truckers I saw killed or injured anyone after I escaped.

NOT a hypothetical question: What should fellow campers do when a pickup truck is deliberately driving over a tent at Jones Beach long after midnight ... plead with the driver as he continues towards the next tent? Radiator and tires aren't going to help. Fortunately that tent's occupants were in another tent, and the truck left the scene after just the first tent.

Last edited by isobars on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:

I cry BS ... again.

Irony.

Mikey, your BFF Brucie offers you some thoughtful advice HERE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 60 of 331

Jump to: