myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Rest in peace Hadlyn.

Though it's little consolation to you or your grieving family not everyone is blind to human empathy, or unable to see the wood for the trees.

As a parting shot (non destructive) perhaps President Obama may be the right person to help reign in the runaway gun culture, which is taking things to third world levels. Those of us from over here hope so. The world needs a strong but civilised America, not the wild west!

GT...You might find the "wild west", where I live, more civilized than the big cities. That is our real problem here. We do not have so much a gun culture, but a violence culture, particularily amoung the inner city black population.

Speaking of third world. Mexico's murder rate, using other methods besides guns, is still nearly double that of the US. A violent culture becomes efficient at killing, regardless of what methods are readily available. Of course, guns are a very efficient method to kill. But, we should be addressing the root causes of the violence.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

Still, EVERY shooter, legitimate or otherwise, goes to jail or is prosecuted.
Are you ready for that?
It's a decision you have to make for yourself.

That time a driver pointed a Glock at my wife ... you betcha.
That time a guy with no lights tried to tap my bumper 4-5 times over a span of at least an hour at very high speeds late at night ... you betcha.
The times I've seen semis deliberately running cars off the freeway ... you betcha.
The time two rednecks came at me with glass bottles as weapons ... you betcha. (I probably can't run 26 mph any longer.)
Two home burglaries, one with my wife at home ... you betcha.

In every case the police came only long after the incident, if at all. That's why so many law enforcement agencies want good citizens armed.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:

Are you ready for that?

That time a guy with no lights tried to tap my bumper 4-5 times over a span of at least an hour at very high speeds late at night ... you betcha.
The times I've seen semis deliberately running cars off the freeway ... you betcha.
The time two rednecks came at me with glass bottles as weapons ... you betcha. (I probably can't run 26 mph any longer.)

In every case the police came only long after the incident, if at all. That's why so many law enforcement agencies want good citizens armed.
Pretty dangerous where you live. You should move to Berkeley...its quite calm here. Or, it could be you just bring out the anger in perfect strangers. Maybe its your aura.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
You might find the "wild west", where I live, more civilized than the big cities. That is our real problem here. We do not have so much a gun culture, but a violence culture, particularily amoung the inner city black population.

"Might"?
I've slept in my van in the boondocks with the doors and windows wide open a couple of thousand nights over the last 40 years without feeling vulnerable. I finally armed myself after having to chase coyotes away from my camp during a rabies plague. I wouldn't sleep on a big city street inside my RV with everything locked and a gun under my pillow.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coboard.

I hadn't intended contributing any further. We too have 'out of control' inner city problems, mainly, it must be said, with blacks and West Indians in particular. (Imported Yardy drug gangs and such.)

My reference to the wild west was to olden times, not the 21 century. I entirely agree with you about tackling the root causes of violence, and I know it isn't simply a matter of guns, but, however you look at it, Hadlyn was quite simply failed by the forces of law and order in Chcago, and by what has become of modern society in general. This shouldn't be acceptable!

Forgive me if I don't follow up, but I've really had enough of this forum, and the Bullfrog who's saturation covering it at present.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Been there John?
You are right on the money. People who think otherwise have been watching too much TV. They think they are ready to shoot to save a life or themselves but only in movies is the situation clear cut and the danger a sure thing.
You will get shot, maybe with your own gun.
Or you will kill a harmless person and your life will divide in two parts.
The bright days before you killed that guy with the empty gun, and the dark days after for the rest of your life.

No shootings in my history, but I have pointed it a few times, and came close to pulling the trigger once. But I did COUNTLESS hours of MP5 shooting on the SWAT team with a lot of house clearing and shoot/no shoot targets.

But the big part is the mental part. You really, really have to be prepared to pull the trigger and take a life. The military and police train people to do this, not too often does it happen in civilian life....
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:

Are you ready for that?

1. Gun at wife, Okay BUT as a civilian you have to have NO other choice. Otherwise you will spent time in prison.

2. No lights tapping a car???? Are you nuts, so you are driving down the highway in a vehicle and are going to shoot the driver of the other one? Get ready for prison....

3. Semi running cars off the road???? Again you are nuts to think shooting the driver of a semi will be considered appropriate in any state. Get ready for prison....

4. Glass bottles and two thugs, very possible there. But you have to have NO other oportunities for escape and have to fear for your life. I'll give you odds here, but plan on being arrested till the cops and DA get all the facts...

5. Home burglaries???? Once again nope. You have to retreat till you have no other options and then fear for you life, else you are going to prison for manslaughter. Even cops can't shoot burglars.

Mike if you really think the above scenarios are good ones, you have really wasted your time reading the books and attending classes, cause you are really missing the point....
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I've read most of the mid '70's books. Took the 2 week Gunsite class...ok, 10 days. Read most of the gun magazines for 5 years.
Are you ready for that?

Back in the day the gunsite courses (Arizona right?) was one of the best civilian handgun courses "hands down" in the US. I don't know how it stands up anymore. But big thumbs up for taking it!

But advice about combat shooting from people who shoot competition is a bit weak. The competition course have very little to do with real life scenarios. At least the ones I shot when a LEO didn't....
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isopalin wrote:

... you betcha.
... you betcha.
... you betcha.
... you betcha.
... you betcha.

Sarah? Is that you? Wink
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So BHO releases this photo of him skeet shooting, I'm sure you've all seen the photo by now.
"Looky, I got a gun too!"
"The ecomony, pull!!!"

Anyway, it was released with the stern warning that THIS PHOTO IS NOT TO BE PHOTOSHOPPED!

Big mistake, so of course it gets photoshopped to the max, and it's pretty funny stuff, go here so see some of the results.

http://twitchy.com/2013/02/02/hilarity-ensues-as-twitter-users-caption-and-photoshop-obamas-shooting-photo/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 59 of 331

Jump to: