myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing lifestyle while in retirement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downed tree can and will wait for you.
The wind will die and not come back for a couple of weeks.
After 30 years of windsurfing, who really needs 50 degree water and air while windsurfing?
So, gas or electric? I used to own a couple of Huquarna's, now using only plug in electric chain saws because to the noise and smell.
duckwind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Lots of good info here. I am 62 and think I will retire this year, although I have left the door open to putting it off a bit. My wife will be working for at least five more years. We live in Portland and have a second home in the Gorge and plan to live there in retirement, except maybe in the winter. Reading these posts is pushing me closer to retiring this year! Thanks again.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, Zirtaeb, that is a pertinent question. I did the job with electric. The cord probably isn't prominent in the pics. I did start out with a small gas saw, but it was stalling out when I pushed the choke in. It started right away given the high air temps. I put Stabil in the gas this fall, but am thinking that ethanol may be the culprit. I bought the electric because I wanted to avoid attracting the nosy neighbors. However, it can serve on well given that two stokes are so fickle. In addition I use hand saws more than the average home owner around here. An axe wasn't necessary today. As to windsurfing in frigid waters and winter mountain camping, I'm not good enough for either. At this time of the year, a mobile home on the Baja looks as attractive as the Hotel California. My girl friend would love that song and dance.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, given that every winter, hundreds of Americans flock down to Baja for a month to a full winter, most driving some big rig, lots owning or renting a house at either LaVentana or LosBarriles, it seems it's almost time for you and the ette to go!
Or at least SPID, where there is free camping and hotels for 50 bucks a night.
Neither spots can guarantee you a good chance of using a 3.7 though. A trip here in the spring, like one month in mid May, maybe you'd get to use a 3.7 about 4 days.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckwind wrote:
I am 62 and think I will retire this year, although I have left the door open to putting it off a bit. ... Reading these posts is pushing me closer to retiring this year!

You might want to keep that door ajar, and refrain from giving the boss the finger on the way out the door. Politics aside, there are a LOT of large nations and self-made billionaires out there betting trillions of dollars that the global economy, including the dollar, will falter dramatically or collapse within 1-4 years. Part of my adaptation to that risk was beginning my SS at 62; there are many reasons I expect that taking it then rather than at 65 will beat the 14-year break-even point to the punch. YMMV.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Gawd, the doomsday is that near? On my drive through D.C. on Pearl Harbor day I saw no sign of the Fiscal Cliff. I was petrified that I was going to go over it in a barrel. Now, here's some more pics of the wind damage last Wednesday here. I cleaned everything up this morning, we're seeing snow flurries this afternoon. One pic shows how thick the wood can be, but it was supposedly a flurry.

BackyardWoods.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  354.54 KB
 Viewed:  13582 Time(s)

BackyardWoods.JPG

SnappedTrunk.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  271.85 KB

SnappedTrunk.JPG

SnappedPine.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  387.96 KB

SnappedPine.JPG

dllee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you want that cut tree alive, but if you do, you might chop it clean across the top at a slight angle, so the rainwater flows off, and it won't rot and mold, killing the trunk from the top.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothin' to do with the fiscal cliff, Speedysailor.

And we're sorry the wind blew the top of your house off. Wink
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing any more work on that tree would be a serious expense in that I can't do it myself. (I'm retired from that kind of thing, would have to hire a tree man, get airstrip committee approval, and all that baloney.) One rotting tree in the woods won't matter, in fact the woodpeckers will attack it and stay away from my house which is a good thing. By the way the top of this house is in great shape. I take very good care of it. I have spent too many nights without a roof over my head to not do just that. As strong as the wind has been it hasn't moved one shingle. Getting back to Baha living. It wouldn't sit very well with me in all honesty because there probably are very few African Americans there. I can't live without them. Then again, I can't live without Jews, Frogs, Wops, and all sorts of marginalized peoples.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
the woodpeckers will attack it and stay away from my house which is a good thing.

As strong as the wind has been it hasn't moved one shingle.

I can't live without Jews, Frogs, Wops, and all sorts of marginalized peoples.

I'll never forget the time I was clicking through the TV channels, paying attention only halfway, and heard this sitcom dude going off. My jaw just dropped out of sight, as I had never heard of Archie Bunker.

I think you missed the roof joke.

As for woodpeckers ... endangered species, my ass. When it comes down to my house or the woodpeckers, guess who wins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: