myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Luis Speed Check
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: San Luis Speed Check Reply with quote

I really miss these days at the forebay...I think the time has come for another speed weekend. Maybe a vintage class could be added to remind everyone what getting over powered really meant in the olden days! Slam!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=112503273274

superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay tuned for an announcement here soon, regarding a Speed Week at Lake Isabella in mid-May!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be one heck of a fun event.
Hoping to join you and MikeHelms, Barbara and her hubb there this year around then, if she isn't into Formula Racing.
My van won't make it, but her GTI should carry 4 boards and all the gear.
Maybe even take the 395 down from Tahoe, for the scenic roundabout.
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way cool! we have it pretty much firmed up for May 10 through 19, but are still fiddling with the details at this time. If you - or anyone else! - wants to help shape this event (and most all of you will have more experience at how to set it up than I do!) send me an e-mail: eva at boardlady dot com, and I'll put you in this loop!
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really miss these days at the forebay...I think the time has come for another speed weekend. Maybe a vintage class could be added to remind everyone what getting over powered really meant in the olden days! Slam!

Oh hell ya! Some great times there back then. I would love to see it happen again.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: San Luis Speed Check Reply with quote

Surprisingly little gear carnage.

-Craig

windoggie wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=112503273274
flynbri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to live for these events ripping downwind on my Jimmy Lewis Speed needle! Still have 3 speed boards, the killer speed sails just don't know if I'd be worth a shit beacuse I've been kiting so long! Rolling Eyes
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most radar guns take readings off the rider, so bring your kite stuff.
You never forget how to windsurf, like riding a bicycle.
I hope to make it, but since my g/f bought a new Formula board, she might want to practice at Berkeley with the F crowd.
Speed trials get extremely competitive sometimes, guys needing to make as many runs as possible over a short span of gustier winds, and nobody wanting to be in the water during the lower wind times of the day.
But if you get fewer than 30 total, it's all good and a fun, casual meet.
Tough to beat a slalom board nowadaze, as we won't be seeing much of 30+ and flat water....and the ability to make more runs by sailing back up to the start is one of the keys to fast times.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge difference between 36 mph and 46 or more. A good formula sailor can get a meter wide board up to 35 or so if the water is pretty flat. I believe that Mike Percy hit 36 on his in the last speed trial. Above about 32, water state--and width of board--is everything. I would bet that a good speed needle could hit 40 with modern sails if the water was flat enough.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, MikePercy hit 37 on that 8'10" slab I now own. Flat spot is a little too long for top speeds, but good for acceleration.
So speeds between the two are very similar, as you know from sailing next to the general public on your Formula gear.
At most of the trials in the early '90's, highest speeds were achieved by the widest speed boards, and the sub 17" stuff was just decoration.
But the ONE key was usually the guy with the most runs also had the fastest times, ONCE. Just law of averages. Seldom does the winner have more than 4 times in the overall top 10.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: