myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 398, 399, 400 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailtildark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulda bought a kite board! Trust me - I used to be the one getting my fin stuck in the mud shloggin around at low tide, light wind Bodega - easy to learn and way more fun if you want to to actually want to get planing.

Love,

One of the kiteboarders. Laughing
victor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you certainly shouldn't need gear that big for bodega.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bodega, Sun. Feb. 3 Reply with quote

dsgrntlxmply wrote:
So-so on 6.4. OK for my purposes: trying to learn to sail a board a step smaller than my previous one, and trying a shorter fin than the 44 cm monster that came with the board. That fin might be needed for 8.5-9.0, but my largest sail is 7.3. The new 36 cm fin feels more appropriate.

A couple of kiteboarders were out, no other windsurfers.

I have a very old Mike's Lab course slalom (260 x 75 x probably 130L) and an Isonic 111 (both for sale!). The ML can use a 50cm fin and with the 8.0 abd my 155 pounds it feels like it is going with no wind, the Is-111 can use a 44 and lags a bit behind although probably in more capable hands and pumping would do almost as well.

Sail size seems to be limiting factor: 8.0 or 8.5 are actually quite manageable, go for one! new ones are actually about the size of "old" 7.0-7.5, with shortened booms and compact aspect ration. Mine, a hot sails maui GPS, rigs on a 460 and has a boom of "only" 210 cm)

(And forget the kites. They are ok in marginal condition if you use a 12-15 meter kite AND the wind does not drop completely ... than they have a little problem: they do not float! A floaty windsurfer is an incomparably better light wind toy!)
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Tuesday, looked marginal 15 at 1, waited till 3, got there in 1/2 hour, went out on 7.0 and 100liters, 90% planing, but musta been around 20 in the gusts at best till 4:45 drop off. Short sesh, plenty warm.
victor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: berkeley thursday Reply with quote

anybody catch it yesterday?
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Candlestick with Wind-SUP Reply with quote

First time out with the my SUP (Amundson 11') and a 5.2. The sail was almost too big (hei! there are no foot straps) before the wind died out a bit and than I just cruised around having fun (a lot!).

A game changer? There is almost no wind limit: you SUP from zero to when it gets too hard to SUP and than put on any sail and go around merrily: the off season has just disappeared.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges with Wind SUP Reply with quote

Sailed Natural Bridges on Saturday, 2-9-13 with my Angulo 10' 10" and Ezzy 7.0. Wind about 6 to 9 mph on the water. Longs Marine Lab wind sensor indicated about 13 mph but that was on top of a mast on top of a building. Water surface level was much less.

Swell was nice and I got to ride one that was tall as I am. And no, I am not two feet tall. Most swells were smaller, but still swell. I had to pump to catch them most of the time, and sometimes still missed some. Did strain my right upper arm with the pumping, but part of the game.

As the tide went out and the beach and near-shore sand sloping so gradually, I was able to ride some waves in past the break point and jibe and get back out. The tri fin arrangement lets my draft be pretty minimal. And being sand, I took the chance. I was downwind slightly from Sidewalks so I was away from the rocks.

Although I would have liked more wind, getting out sailing, catching swell and playing around on the ocean was just good fun. Can't say I got wet though, as I never fell in.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Nat Bridgs Again Reply with quote

So back out for more on Sunday. 1st hour I had more wind than yesterday and it was easy to ride the swell. 2nd hour was more like yesterday and pumping was needed. Even bigger swell today. And long period. Man, I like that long period swell.
renoscott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Winter sailing Washoe lake Reply with quote

Great sailing in Washoe Valley mid Dec - Feb. Sail sizes 2.8 - 4.2. Sailing in the pic Feb 9 on 3.7 sail on little Washoe lake.

Scott-ice sailing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.22 KB
 Viewed:  12744 Time(s)

Scott-ice sailing.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Lake Wahoe Reply with quote

So that is why they make 2.8 to 3.7 size sails.......

No worries about whether to go gloss or 600 grit wet sanding on the bottom of the board either.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 398, 399, 400 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 399 of 427

Jump to: