myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think isobars must be tired I believe this is a response to another thread. Then again maybe it's me, we both have insomnia. I've pretty much given up on trying to have a rational discussion with the fellow. i suspect he may be the victim of a government mind control experiment gone awry.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
I do not own a gun, nor do I feel I need one. I have family and friends that do however, and they keep their guns in a vault.

A gun in a vault is a hunting or collectors' weapon, not a (useful) home defense weapon. None of us needs a defense weapon ... until we need a defense weapon. Enough people do at some time or another, and enough armed citizens stop enough crimes, that most police forces and states strongly and actively encourage citizens to get trained and carry.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slinky...your definition is not, necessarily, correct. It depends on how the law is written. Assualt weapon could be my 9 MM semi auto pistol (hate the thing) that can utilize a magazine clip capable of holding 20 or more rounds, or it could be the same weapon with an 11 shot clip. Or, it could be an AR-15 that just looks more aggressive.

To me, the description should really be about the number of rounds that a magazine can hold. The Clinton era ban was largely about gun cosmetics.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
1. How did a tax argument end up on a gun control thread?

When are we going to elect a politician with the balls to stand up and say to both the general electorate and the special interest lobbies "all your sacred cows are destroying this country"?

1. I don't know; it was a direct response to Slinky's quoted comment above in this thread.

2. Rep John Linder has been pushing the highly researched Fair Tax for years, beginning with HR2525 in 1999.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
I've pretty much given up on trying to have a rational discussion with the fellow.

Please point out where I have deviated from your attempts.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many semi auto weapons. If they reduce the clip size on rifles, then I believe the crazies will just go to semi auto hand guns, because changing a 10 round clip is easier with a hand gun than a rifle. It would take me 2 to 3 seconds to change a handgun clip.

Also, for instance if they ban semi auto magazines altogether the manufacturers will go to interchangeable cylinders on revolvers.

Registration will not save one human life. However, locking guns in a family setting will. Background checks will. One time Mental health evaluation below age 30 will. And it has been proven over and over in states with easier concealed carry laws, there is less gun violence. Hot heads below age 30 should not be allowed to pack.

The last "assault weapons ban" did nothing to stop the violence. It's time to take a different approach.

PS. Tim Mc Veigh and most of the killer freaks are under 30. In McVeighs case, he was 27, and all the gun laws on the books did squat.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard

Registration would prevent me from selling my 9MM to a street thug. And, if training were required to be a registered user, I suspect that accidental shootings would be less (no proof this would save lives but it makes sense).

How far could you run in the 2 to 3 sec to reload that 9 MM aimed at your ass by a novice shooter? I bet I could run out of effective range!!
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you run away, or towards?
You'd be pretty peed off if he shot at you, used up all his rounds, and needed to reload.
Bullets get to you about the same if your ran away or towards. At least towards, you have a chance to take him out, for the good of mankind or whatever personal reasons.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the loonies would switch to another weapon to get more bullets.
Careful thoughtful planning is not the most identifiable trait among loonies.
I think their dog tells them Moms gun can do this so I think I should do it.
When were kids we fought with our fists because Mom didn't have a AR15 we could grab.
The metal detector at the door of my old high school finds guns on a regular basis these days.
Would that change make a parent feel safer about their kids attending the ol alma mater?
Hey more guns make us all safer, right?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Would you run away, or towards?
You'd be pretty peed off if he shot at you, used all his rounds, and needed to reload.
Bullets get to you about the same if your ran away or towards. At least towards, you have a chance to take him out, for the good of mankind or whatever personal reasons.

I used to hunt a bunch. From personal experience I know that accuracy is highly dependent on distance and speed of target. My point is that these loonies who shoot up a bunch of folks will not be as effective if they must reload every 8 or 9 shots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 46 of 331

Jump to: