myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Assault rifles account for less than 2.5% of murders."

That might be true, but when it comes down to mass public shootings like Newtown, Aurora and many others, assault weapons and big magazines are at the forefront of the killing, and a big reason why so many died or were wounded. There is no good reason why guns made for killing humans should be legal and readily available for average Americans. Moreover, normal citizens do not need high volume magazines, and banning them would mean that semi-automatic handguns would be far less lethal if used in public venues.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other parts of the Constitution that you'd like to reject?

My point is that our leaders are blowing smoke and mirrors, attacking only 2.5% of the problem. Like I said a tactical shot gun, sawed off is far more deadly inside a building than an assault rifle. Sadly, they are just BSing the gullible and the evil will just change their methodolgy.

Like I've said, if they ban all weapons the crazed will drive their cars into crowds, or use gasoline. We need to attack the root cause. Lack of morality.

Last edited by MalibuGuru on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
pointster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Are there any other parts of the Constitution that you'd like to reject? Just wondering.

The electoral college comes to mind.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no efforts underway to ban all weapons.
If one single new town shooting can reduce its death rate by half, I would support the law in NewYork just passed which allows folks to keep their assault rifles, but limits the further proliferation of military hardware as toys for psychos.

I find it remarkable hat the NRA position is that restricting assault rifles is useless because most murders are done with pistols.
And we should keep selling pistols like candy bars too.
They treat the public like we are stupid.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am wodering is what has happened to peoples minds? I read yesterday of a man shooting his estranged wife and himself with a pistol at his daughter's 16th birthday party. Can you imagine how this poor girl must feel? What is going on? Some think it's these drugs shrinks are handing out like candy, ssri's. There is a warning that side effects may cause an increased risk of suicde and violent behavior. They have been banned in much of Europe. Despite this the insanity happens there as well.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotional incontinence Slinky, encouraged by years of sloppy liberal thinking that encouraged the VICTIM culture, whereby such people should not be held responsible for their actions. (It's not their fault!)

As a school boy in the early 1950's, and a student in the late 50's, I was fortunate to be guided and influenced by men who had fought in World War Two, and who were under no illusion about the need for self discipline, and accountability.

Such a notion is often ridiculed nowadays, and we reap the consequences!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Emotional incontinence Slinky, encouraged by years of sloppy liberal thinking that encouraged the VICTIM culture, whereby such people should not be held responsible for their actions. (It's not their fault!)

As a school boy in the early 1950's, and a student in the late 50's, I was fortunate to be guided and influenced by men who had fought in World War Two, and who were under no illusion about the need for self discipline, and accountability.

Such a notion is often ridiculed nowadays, and we reap the consequences!

Bingo GT. My father joined the merchant marines at age 14 during the depression. Then fought in Europe during ww2. He was a very old father who pounded home to me how fortunate I was to be living in America. He was convinced at the end of his life that Americas work ethic and morality were declining quickly. Obama thinks its' just fine to covet a neighbors sucess and redistribute their efforts to the needy, while I'd bet we all agree that the needy would be better served spiritually and emotionally by empowering them to create value for society.

Don't parks have signs that read "don't feed the animals, they may become dependant and die during the off season"
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard

It might interest you to know that we spend less than 5% (Center on Budget and Policy Priorities) on the non-working poor. It seems most of our direct aid to citizens (the 47% we heard so much about) is to recipients of Medicare and Social Security. Arguably, entitlements that are earned. Much of the remaining aid is in the form of tax credits, child health care, energy assistance, etc. to folks who DO work.

Farm credits and other corporate welfare programs eat up a similar portion of the budget that is spent on these non-working poor.

Should we reduce this welfare? Probably. But, much of the spending is on children. And, with Nike et al outsourcing most of our child workforce jobs it will be tough for them to find work!
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--you must have gotten laid recently, you seem calmer and more reasoned. But you post an important fact--like assault weapons are only responsible for 2.5% of murders--and then leap to a not entirely rational conclusion.

First of all, weapons like rapid-fire guns were not contemplated in the Bill of Rights (Not the Constitution). It is always helpful to review the actual language:

Quote:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Now I teach writing, I have been involved in dozens of court decisions, and the structure of this phrase is very clear. The right to bear arms modifies the importance of a well-regulated militia. Until the Roberts Court wrote out the clear understanding of the English language, it was not an individual right. That, of course, goes with the nature of the amendment. It was not part of the Constitution, but was part of the naming of rights that was needed to have the states ratify the Constitution. At that time, each state, and some other levels of government, had militias, and the amendment reflected fear of a military associated with a strong central government. The articles of Confederation had established a weak central government. There is a direct historical line from the early states militias to the current National Guards.

Second, since there were no rapid fire weapons--or RPG's--it is impossible to use historical context to make the Second Amendment protect all weapons free of any regulation as to reasonable use.

Now to the conclusion that you leap to. As I understand the proposal to Congress, Obama proposes to extend the registration of guns to all types of weapons, and to the reselling of weapons privately. This does not make it impossible to own a gun, but does allow some accountability of gun, and perhaps ammunition sales. The intent of this is to reduce the unregulated sale of weapons, which at the present time is providing a conduit for cheap weapons to end up in the hands of criminals and, to a lesser extent, the mentally deranged. I support this, I think it is a good idea. It will not stop the flow of weapons, but will slow it down and drive up the cost.

The question of assault weapons, the size of the clips/magazines is a separate question. I would not sneer at even a 2.5% reduction in murders--that's about 260 people alive at the end of the year who would otherwise be dead. But the primary control here is registration. That is not outlawing, not even close. Do you support even the registration of legal weapons to try to make sure that they are sold only to those who have a legal right to obtain them?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you are correct. Things do seem to be unravelling at an allarming rate though. I myself was brought up by conservative parents, who always voted republican. My dad too served in WW II,worked hard and was a good provider, my mom stayed home and cared for us,and we went to a protest congrational church. I myself have worked every year since I was 16 and have never collected one red cent in unemployment compensation. I started my own business 34 years ago. It's taught me alot about self discipline. No one will pay me unemployment if I can't work. I do not get sick pay either. It's as small a business as it gets, just me and my wife. My wife's familly is quite different. Her mom and dad, both bleeding heart liberals, but very religious also. My wife studied at Wheaton college in Ill. her ambition was to become a priest. She is now a teacher of the visually impaired, and went back to school at the age of 40 to change careerers. She is one of the hardest working people I have ever met, as was her father, who worked up to the day he died at age 74. To place this trend of sensless shootings at the feet of the liberal ideology is questionable. I think maybe it has more to do with divorce rates, broken homes, and the fact that both parents are not at home anymore, where were the parents? out working 2 jobs maybe? Incomes for the wealthyiest 5% have steadily been increasing while the rest of the average working class has not. yes i whole heartedly agree about there being lack of discipline, and being irresponsible. Nothing is ever anyones fault anymore it seems. I would be all for ending unemployment compensation. Why should an employer pay someone not to work? If you want unemployment insurance go buy some, lets privatize it. It does seem to give an I don't give a shit attitude among workers as far as I have seen. The people I have known who have collected it have sat on their ass for as long as they could. There has been some reform to welfare, but in general I am against it.

I do however think that the average person bears too much of the tax burden and the wealthy not enough. Things were a lot different when one parent could stay home with the kids. No one can afford this anymore. Why is this? Tax rates were way different back in the 50's and 60's.

In general I am thouroughly disgusted with the republican party especially their insistance on the wealthy refusing to shoulder any more of the tax burden. More tax cuts for the rich! I'n no big fan of the democratic party either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 41 of 331

Jump to: