myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Goya One vs. Older Goya Wave 90

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morwind4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Goya One vs. Older Goya Wave 90 Reply with quote

I currently have a Goya One 95 that I like, but admittedly it gets big for "most" days here on the great lakes. For those that don't know, the Great Lakes can get huge, but by and large we're mostly 6.0 bump and jump conditions...choppy but good "swell", nice ramps. So the One feels a bit big for the average day...to me.

I have an opportunity to pick up a Goya Custom Wave 90 on a trade. In addition to dropping some volume, it looks like this board is on a serious diet...and is pretty narrow.

Any insight as to how "small" the Goya wave sails? I "really" want it to work for a powered up 6.2 day, but want it to be better for the 5.0 and down days we get too. My main concern is that the Custom Wave will actually be too small for most 6.0 days.

I know, asking a lot. But I'm not interesting in adding a board at this point.

I'm 6', 205, like to jump, good enough jiber, once met Josh Angulo...which adds much in the way of skill.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Goya One 102 and a 6.0 is about the biggest sail I would use on it. The board gets sluggish and rides like I have the brakes on with bigger than 6.0. I'm 195 lbs.

The Goya Wave may be one of the older shapes with a much skinnier mid section/ tail. I would think that at 205, a 90 would be a real stretch with a 6.0 if it is the older shape. The new shapes seem to carry slightly larger sails and plane much faster than the older Goya's. I also have a 78 ltr Goya FW, circa 2009. Since then, the Goya's seem to have widened overall a bit more. I will probably replace the Goya this summer.

The new shapes are so much more fun to ride and more dynamic in all conditions. Designers continue to make great performance leaps. Especially wave killer Keith Taboul! Try before you buy and you will buy!!!

RIP
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old are both these ?

Going down in size should certainly keep things in more control, its also a wave board compared to a FSW

Intend to keep the ONE ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
morwind4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually trade boards...One for the Wave. I think the One is an 09' and the Wave is an 08'. Indeed the wave is a much narrower, more traditional wave shape.

This one: http://www.surfladle.co.uk/products/product-detail.php?PID=1791

I have this Goya One 95: http://goyawindsurfing.com/boards/items/y2009/one/

Thanks for the comments so far. Mulekick, great comments and appreciated. Any insight from U2 is always good.

I think I know where this is going; you can't cover these conditions with one board! Maybe I need to save my energy and put it towards finding a $200 85 liter wave board that I'll use when it gets big, and keep the one for everything else.

But comment on, I like a little debate.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of difference in the width between the two boards, and given the fact that the Custom Wave 90 is a DTL wave board, I seriously doubt that it will be as universal overall as the One. You didn't mention whether you had an even bigger board in your quiver, but if you don't and the One is your only board, I question whether you will be satisfied with the Custom Wave 90 as your only board. In the long run, I think that you're on the right track considering adding a second board in the 85 liter range.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much depends on your wind consistency. 90 feels huge to me at 190-205# if I'm mostly planing on a 6.0 in good terrain, but is highly appreciated if the holes are frequent, the wind shadow hundreds of yards wide, or the penalty harsh if the wind quits. If I'm planing most of the time with 5.2 or smaller and have good terrain to play on, I far prefer 80 to 72 liters and the narrower wave boards you're referring to. My Goya wave boards are older, more like 2002-2005, by choice. They're all fast and comfortable in rough water, but remain extremely maneuverable at high speeds. I've not sailed his newer, wider boards, also by choice based on both the genre and feedback from a talented bud who bought a freestyle Goya and couldn't get rid of it because he was too honest about its bone-jarring ride.

Generally speaking, I want smaller/narrower boards for good wind and rough terrain, larger/wider when the wind is unreliable AND the water smooth, with my volume midpoint somewhere around 85 liters. All of my boards emphasize wave/turning performance, with control and smooth rides at high speeds in rough water simply because that's all I care about. Those objectives favor smaller volumes, narrower widths, and "wavy" designs, very popular until roughly 2008 when so many shapes went wider and shorter.

Mike \m/
morwind4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

I do have a larger board, Naish Supercross 112...which is ironically the same(ish) width as the One, just a less rockered, faster shape.

Anyway, at 6.0, I'd describe it as "swelly" but smooth. 5.2 gets pretty choppy, and down from there is pretty difficult sailing for anywhere (think Hatch on a 3.5 day with no current).

I could easily sail that supercross in light 6.0 conditions, but if I'm powered up I like a smaller turnier board.

Wind consistency: solid 6.0 conditions means it's very filled in and not much in the way of holes, marginal 6.0 is just that....marginal.

Thanks for the help! Confused as ever, which is good I suppose.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the length on these 2 is the same @ 241cm

the width is 56 VS 61

don't think its a reasonable "replacement " for the ONE

think 85L in addition to the 2 you have

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: great lakes board Reply with quote

i,m a great lakes sailor ERIE mostly between erie and buffalo more in buffalo cause it blows more there Exclamation same height and weight as you riding quatro/goya boards many years.keep your 112 for your 6.0 and the goya wave 90 for sails under that Question i had the 81 single wave used 5.7 on it with a 24cm.wave fin then down to 3.3 was great.a 6.0 wouldn,t feel right on that goya 90 for us at 205.my quiver now the last 2 years is a goya 104 quad and a goya78 quad use 5.3 on the 104 then when i,m nicely powered on it can use it on 78.try a 85 ltr.goya or quatro quad you will be very shocked how nice they are for great lakes conditions.guys have the 92 goya wave and use 6.2 to 3.7 and they are our size Exclamation the newer boards are great i had my doubts too the QUADS ARE GREAT GREAT LAKES BOARDS Exclamation YOU CAN PERSNOL MESSAGE ME IF YOU WANT TO CHAT GOYA BEEN ON HIS STUFF SINCE HIS START.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: