myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wave sailing location showdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you sail NW? I used to live in Avila Beach and sailed in the bay near the port on the road to the nuke plant.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Where do you sail NW? I used to live in Avila Beach and sailed in the bay near the port on the road to the nuke plant.

Arroyo Laguna, I live 10 minutes away.

It's not like I'm worried about it getting crowded anymore, like it used to be. It's actually better now, if you don't mind kites, but they've reduced in numbers also.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever go sail at the lake? I hear it had more water finally a while ago.
Sailing in a drying up lake can leave standing up to knees in mud.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lopez Lake.
That's where I learned in the early 80s, when I lived in the Pismo area. The arm of the lake where you windsurf on, went dry sometime around 87-88, I think it was. We went hiking around the bottom mud flat pulling out all kinds of fins, spredder bars, battons, broken masts, and stuff off of boats that flipped. One of my good buddies, Steve, even recovered his entire rig that detatched from his board in the middle of the lake and sank. It was about 4 years in the mud, on the bottom, but the recovery was featured in "California Boardsailor" a newsprint magazine that was around at the time.
I haven't sailed the lake in about 10-12 years, don't even have the right kind of equipment if I went, unless it was reeeeally windy.
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a vote for PSC

( Labor Day swell , photo by FrenchyPhoto!)

Carlos7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.21 KB
 Viewed:  14223 Time(s)

Carlos7.jpg

streetsailing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Fort Point is not considered a wave sailing spot but we do get some great action during the regular season there.
These photos were taken a few years ago by Daniel Won. One of our long time locals in SF. Maybe one of you kiters can date it based on the kite in the photo. Aside from some epic mast high+ Fort Point sessions, my favorite spots have been Tubamancha and Pistol River for coastal waves.
Sail On!

fortpoint3a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.19 KB
 Viewed:  14177 Time(s)

fortpoint3a.jpg

fortpoint2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.23 KB
 Viewed:  14177 Time(s)

fortpoint2.jpg

flynbri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to PSC about 20 times usually chasing a spring swell hitting the bowl perfect. I have sailed up and down the coast and Maui but PSC has a special place in my heart that is second to none. At the most epic maybe 20 foot faces on Bombora, heart stopping waves and sickening no wind behind the face jumps. At worse, thigh high but still alot of fun. I have not gone down the last few years due to local aggression but I have the itch to go this year. All my sailing buddies have been going to Maui instead of Mexico but I'm sure they miss that mile long ride on the same wave that happens no where else! Wink
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree on PSC. I've been there when it was well over mast high. Also been there when it was perfect desert air and 78 degree water. (rare) Mostly as cold as Waddel. You can get a 10 day advance warning on the swell which makes it easy to plan.

I have to say I was impressed with Davenport on a large swell. Wow, I'm gonna do that again someday.

Maui is a 2 hit wonder, except on a rare day at Hookipa or one of the reefs. But, there is nothing like the combination of the Hawaiian trade winds, and water. I've gotten a few days at Lowers on mast high conditions that were seared in my mind as the best WS times of my life.

So....it's not where your body is, it's where your mind is.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree on PSC. I've been there when it was well over mast high. Also been there when it was perfect desert air and 78 degree water. (rare) Mostly as cold as Waddel. You can get a 10 day advance warning on the swell which makes it easy to plan.

I have to say I was impressed with Davenport on a large swell. Wow, I'm gonna do that again someday.

Maui is a 2 hit wonder, except on a rare day at Hookipa or one of the reefs. But, there is nothing like the combination of the Hawaiian trade winds, and water. I've gotten a few days at Lowers on mast high conditions that were seared in my mind as the best WS times of my life.

So....it's not where your body is, it's where your mind is.
poussin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You guys are all psyching me out. I'm hella jonesin' to go to PSC!
Matt Pritchard (I KNOW you're checking this out), has camps down there
at Solo Sports which would be a blast to attend.
Just gotta work on the wife agreeing part, (which is a good subject for interesting discussion on another thread).

Thanks to all for your input on this subject. Our "Best Coast" season is just around the corner.......
Hope to see you all at all of those wave sailing venues.....but especially...
you guessed it....PSC!

Greg

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: