myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sleeper stretch for RTC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks scorpionfish for your post. After checking out what orthopedic doctors do, I think that your recommendation is spot on. Tomorrow I'm going to schedule an appointment to get the ball rolling. I think any further hesitation on my part would be inviting more problems and complications down the line.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I found helpful for anyone with an "impingement" diagnosis, and something neither the sports doc nor physical therapist mentioned, is that sleeping with your arm extended above your head and your head on your shoulder/arm can contribute to the tightening of the capsule through which the tendon passes, ie the impingement. That leads to overuse injuires and tendon breakdown. So if you're rehab'ing and you are sleeping this way, you are undoing quite a bit of the positive effects of rehab every night. And if you're healthy and sleeping this way and not stretching properly a lot, you might be setting yourself up for some future rehab.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaipal--

What was your sleeper stretch regimen? I have read that some people use 3 reps for 30 seconds each successfully. My PT wanted me to build up to 2 reps for 2 minutes each over a two week period. It seemed like it was making other things go wrong in my shoulder, as well as causing more pain in the tendon itself. So what was your reps/duration? Did increasing it cause more pain in the tendon/motion initially but then the pain would go away? Or did it never really cause the pain to increase in the tendon, just elsewhere. I was told to expect some pain around the outside/back of shoulder and did, but this did not concern me. Just the pain in the tendon itself.

Thanks,
Marty
Jaipal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regime I was/am on is 3x30sec 3/day. Ice after. I always do it at the end of all my other stretching. Never using weights and always to the full extension of my range of motion.

In the beginning it really did hurt and it took a lot of controlled breathing to deal with the pain. Extending the arm downwards on an exhalation. Thankful when 30 seconds was over.

I really do believe that once I regained the range of motion the impingement pain diminished. And rapidly at that. It did take about two weeks to gain probably 45 degrees in the extension forwards.

Since I am much improved now I let some days slide on the sleeper. But not a single day goes by where I don't work on some aspect of the rehab. To me it is like a newfound religion.

Right now I feeling like I am arming myself (no pun intended) for the biggest battle in my life - which is facing the fact that I am aging. All of us must deal with this. I am adamant that the only way to lose is to give up.

FYI. Much of my initial rehab was based on this doc.

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/images/Acrobat/Impingement.pdf

Hang in there!

-J
martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Jaipal. I'm glad the sleeper stretch is working for you. I may try again with the lower duration. I also found a study done that seemed fairly scientific. It showed the sleeper stretch was performed 3 x 30 secs once per day by a bunch of college baseball players. Their range of motion increased by 9 degrees on average over 8 months of doing the stretch. Interestingly, 6 degrees of improvement came after month 6. So it a slow process. They also didn't have any RTC injuries compared to always having a few the prior few years without the stretch. I think I started out pushing down too much.

I am like you...throwing everything at it and determined. I think yours was worse though...good job and thanks for the inspiration.

-Marty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: