myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ice machine is ON!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past three days I have been skiing out my door on rather good snow here in Falmouth. I'm hoping for some ice kiting, but don't see much hope for the local ice unless we have a good drop in temps. I've been ice skating most of my 60+ years and have yet to fall in. "Wait until you see others out there before venturing yourself" has been my moto. The ice is always thicker in the middle, too. Avoid the edges and know where the springs are. Four years ago I bought a pair of swedish made awls or claws (Lundhags) from Nordic Skater. Just now when I pulled them out of their storage bag, a clip on the holster broke. If I were on the ice with them, it probably would have been a hassle. I really won't feel ill prepared if I go out on the ice without them.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gschuel1 wrote:
Iceratz is doing a great job promoting winter windsurfing, but lack of ice board availability makes it very difficult for newbies to access this sport.

Holding on to an old ice deck you're not using or know someone who is? Why not put it up for sale, rental, or loan so someone new can get out on the ice !

I agree that its difficult to keep this sport growing with lack of equipment available. But most of us build our own decks & blades, its easy to do if you have some simple woodworking abilities.
Here are some of my plans below & a good closeup short video of my rig.
This video is getting overtime 1000's of hits from people in Germany & Poland right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcvQKCxLrXk

Anyone who wants to get more involved should come join our Yahoo Iceboard website!
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Iceboard-Sailing/

Runner18-Rev2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  980.61 KB
 Viewed:  12556 Time(s)

Runner18-Rev2.jpg

Iceotope Layout.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  864.84 KB
 Viewed:  12557 Time(s)

Iceotope Layout.jpg

iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Weekend outlook 1-4-13 Reply with quote

Late night Friday update! (Just how we like it!)

NO WHERE in SE Mass is safe for even scouting at this point. Severel guys checked and confirmed there all a mess, open water leads thin ice!

Here is a list of KNOWN sailable sites, will be sailed all weekend:

Squam lake NH - Mega Black Ice (Site for DN iceboat race)
Lake Wakeuan Merrideth NH - white & black

Quaboag , Brookfield Mass - Rough patchy white and black mix

Lake Massabiesic Manchester NH - Huge turn out of boats all weekend! Whole lake is sailed , smooth white ice and new black ice.
(I'll be there) Cool

Enjoy!
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Massabiesic was SICK!
Awesome black ice for miles and miles, grade 9.
Winds were 10-15 knots but speeds were nearly 50 knots because of such perfect ice!

According to my GPS log, I got 55 miles of sailing and peak speed of 55 mph! Cool

This sheet came in so good I expect to be sailing here a lot this season!

Massabiesic1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.1 KB
 Viewed:  12440 Time(s)

Massabiesic1.jpg

Last edited by iceratz@comcast.net on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of ice like that definitely turn me on!!! It's out of state, though. Then again since we live in a "commonwealth" and N.H. is a state, perhaps we can claim some kind of sovereignty over the ice. I once skated Hammond Pond which is behind the Chestnut Hill mall in Brookline. I was working selling ski equipment at Herman's World of Sport at the time. There was a "keep off the ice" sign, but I couldn't resist skating given what the surface looked like. A security guard came by in his car. He started waving and blowing his version of a whistle, but I stayed out on the ice which is actually in one of those funny political situations at the borders of three towns, Newton, Boston and Brookline. After a while he settled down and then left. Thanks for putting up the info on how to build a sled, Iceratz, however, can I buy the blade trucks somewhere?

Last edited by speedysailor on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word is slowly spreading, MOST of NH lakes from Squam and south to Mass border are all the same clear black ice surface!
Lake Winnipesaukee upper ends are like this , but still open in the broads.

Lake Sunapee is locked up solid and will be explored today.

It's a BLACK ICE WAVE!!!!!!

Incredible start for the 2013 season.

With the weather later this week looking dicey for temperatures for ice production, I would expect to only be able to sail next weekend on one of the lakes being sailed now.
Lakes into Massachusetts are similar clear ice and are most definately UNSAFE and extreemly dangerous terrirory. Once the warm days hits begining Wed, those surfaces in Mass south will turn into what we call "Honeycombed Ice" perhaps the most dangerous eluding conditions we experience. STAY OFF! Shocked

NH lakes with thicker bases and cooler temps should survive this warm spell.
lasrer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoy it Brownie.

You deserve it. I remember you me and Fred going to Squam lake on fresh black ice you could see fish through.

Spooky at first, then epic. Then we had dinner at Hart's turkey farm.

I also have a much grosser reminisce of pumping so hard in a race I puked inside my faced helmets.

good times I will never forget even though I dont icesail anymore.

ed
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one of the more stranger ICE videos I have recently made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pv3Vp0l7nk
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wrote:
gschuel1 wrote:
Iceratz is doing a great job promoting winter windsurfing, but lack of ice board availability makes it very difficult for newbies to access this sport.

Holding on to an old ice deck you're not using or know someone who is? Why not put it up for sale, rental, or loan so someone new can get out on the ice !

I agree that its difficult to keep this sport growing with lack of equipment available. But most of us build our own decks & blades, its easy to do if you have some simple woodworking abilities.
Here are some of my plans below & a good closeup short video of my rig.
This video is getting overtime 1000's of hits from people in Germany & Poland right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcvQKCxLrXk

Anyone who wants to get more involved should come join our Yahoo Iceboard website!
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Iceboard-Sailing/
Actually, you should consider ice kiting. Yesterday I had my single meter Slingshot two line kite up at a beach on Vineyard Sound. It was rather windy out of the SW. I had a lot of fun with it. There's definitely enough power in it to pull a rider on ice skates. I certainly have done it. Skates are readily available and can be used indoors. Olympic sports sold me a brand new pair of Nike for $50 in the spring ten years ago. You don't want to know how much indoor skating I have done with them. I've been informed that you don't even have to be a good skater to enjoy ice kiting. My trainer and strong lines cost me less than $300. I wanted a bigger kite after a while and searched the web. I found one for $100 which was a very forgiving one. I fly it or a more powerful one about 20 times year round on the beach. They are fun and keep you active.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPEEDY SAILOR wrote:
Quote:
Actually, you should consider ice kiting

Actually you probably should NOT! I have seen an ice kiter get dragged to the limits of the lake more than once. Smooth ice will be impossible to stop when you fall, even when the kite is down.
Snow Kiting however is a different story, using skiis, and you can safely stop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: