myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
keycocker wrote:
By the way gold has dropped from $1800 to $1653 since Mike told us that the price was heading frantically upward.
Good thing he is lying about his gold reserves.
Pueno should get a laugh out of that. He seems to like clowns.

The price dropped because Mikey stopped buying.

Now, that is funny! NEWS FLASH! John Paulsen, and Mike Fick, famed investor from the posh Tri-Cities is dumping Gold!!!.....Just days after saying everyone should put ALL their money into the yellow metal.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's buying silver bullets now. Hi yo Silver! Who is that masked man? And why does he want to keep inflating that balloon?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find most revealing and, frankly and sadly, most humorous, about this new law is this: Twitter, the internet, and the media are full of middle and lower income people raising holy hell because their first 2013 paycheck is smaller, by thousands of dollars annually, because of greater withholdings for their government services like SS, unemployment, etc.

Umm ... WTF DID THEY THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?

Doesn't even the dumbest person capable or earning minimum wage OCCASIONALLY turn away from American Idol or boring football games to at least GLANCE at a news program? This shouldn't surprise anyone with two IQ points to rub together.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some idea of how out of touch the big city media are about real world personal finance and how clueless the public are about this joke laughingly called a tax relief act, consider the WSJ's analysis of it. Their weekend story on it assessed its federal tax increases on four hypothetical families:
1. Single parent, 2 kids, income $260,000, fed tax increase $3,356.
2. Retired couple, income $180k, no tax change.
3. Single person earning $230k, tax increase $2,907.
4. Married couple w/2 kids earning $650,000, taxes up $21,608.

Tell me what's BLATANTLY wrong with all those scenarios.

C'mon ... you can do it. Just think about it; what do every one of those scenarios have in common, besides the fact that Obama has been guaranteeing us for 5 years now that only #4 will ever see one dime in tax increases?

Simple: WHO THE HELL EARNS THAT KIND OF MONEY? AFAIK, I've never personally, socially, nor on the job met but one person in my life who earned even that $180k, and he was a very senior USAF general who managed budgets in the tens of billions (as my wife has done for MUCH less money. Only a very senior DuPont executive we met one time, for a short lunch, topped those figures.

Big city people have no clue how ordinary people live. Look at the reaction of the media to Kerry's "elite" sport (uh, WSing), to Bush's low-life mountain biking, etc., but Obama's mainstream celebrity sport, basketball, and his glistening pecs make Pelosi all hot and bothered. Even O'Reilly, who grew up poor, assumed a social worker he was interviewing earned $50-$60k ($20k!). I'll never forget national news anchor Harry Reasoner's outraged tirade against snowmobiles, nor that the environment had nothing to do with it; his sole objection was that it's a mindless, pointless, incomprehensible waste of time ... that only the fine arts qualified as honorable entertainment.

I've never even seen a fine art first hand, and don't care if I ever do. Maybe when I'm too old to golf or kite I'll go look at one.

Then there's the Manhattan AT&T customer support chick who refused to believe that there was no street address of the exact location at which I could not get a cell signal; she could not comprehend that the population of Three Mile Canyon in the Gorge includes FAR more rattlesnakes, ground squirrels, and coyotes than people, nor that there IS no intersection right there. She thought I was trying to be funny, and demanded the name and street number of the nearest building.

She had never been out of New York City ... in her life ... and didn't understand why anyone would want to live anywhere else.

They just don't get it.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
turn away from American Idol

American Idol??? You need to get out more. What part of DOWNTON ABBY do you not get? Do your homework, pal!

windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some fine art for you iso. John Singer Sargent is one of my faves, but there's lots more.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, windoggie. now, who was the Spanish portrait painter who was a contemporary of Sargent?

By the way, the best small museum I've ever been in is the Frick, with at least two Sargent's, and a room of great portraits--and three Vermeer's.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
What I find most revealing and, frankly and sadly, most humorous, about this new law is this: Twitter, the internet, and the media are full of middle and lower income people raising holy hell because their first 2013 paycheck is smaller, by thousands of dollars annually, because of greater withholdings for their government services like SS, unemployment, etc.

Yes, and frankly also sadly, these people have to pony up the cash that is redistributed to others as disability payments.

Heartbreaking and totally unfair, wouldn't you agree?
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the Spanish guy. The Boston museum has a shitload of Sargents. That dude could paint.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
For some idea of how out of touch the big city media are about real world personal finance and how clueless the public are about this joke laughingly called a tax relief act, consider the WSJ's analysis of it. Their weekend story on it assessed its federal tax increases on four hypothetical families:
1. Single parent, 2 kids, income $260,000, fed tax increase $3,356.
2. Retired couple, income $180k, no tax change.
3. Single person earning $230k, tax increase $2,907.
4. Married couple w/2 kids earning $650,000, taxes up $21,608.

Tell me what's BLATANTLY wrong with all those scenarios. .....

Reading from Iso's own source, the WSJ:

The fiscal cliff deal reached by the White House and Senate Republicans wouldn’t extend the payroll-tax holiday. The biggest hit to 2013 growth appears likely to come from this tax break’s expiration on Monday.

A year after that same source scolded the Republican leadership for opposing the payroll tax break:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204791104577110573867064702.html

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: