myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 bolt quick release vs single twisty type base.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
going from memory but didn't SKYKING fly a twin bonaza ?

the ONLY reason I have, and do use the single bolt,and in particular one board which has a short mast track, the 2 bolt Chinook doesnt fit.

I also have used it on a board that wanted more forward placement than a 2 bolt afforded.

I have had problems with single bolt bases , coming loose.In conversations with the companies involved this is a rare occurrence, in one case the internals during construction were mis threaded, the other was said to be worn out, both replaced without charge BTW. I have several singles and cant explain why some have been troublesome and others not, nor could the reps, most reasonable explanation was the wah wah pads when flipping the sails caused the base to unwind

IF this occurs on the water the base may still remain in the track, but you will notice it sliding for/aft and is difficult to do anything but sail straight along, turns/ waterstarts will suck. If it becomes un attached, you need more than one person to assist to replace. In very extremely unlikely event a 2 bolt comes loose, it would slide, but NOT come out that I have heard of.

yup...the name of the plane was "songbird". However....i am not that old...not even close. way before my time. Got the nickname from a family member.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I have an few singles...fairly new. They have never failed...and never come lose or slid around the track. I do like making minor adjustment on the beach. 1/2 inch fore or aft can make a pretty big difference at least from what i have experienced.

I do like them. Just one of those things i just got so used of the single bolts. SO they are held in with allen bolts. I never really looked at them that close.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:
going from memory but didn't SKYKING fly a twin bonaza ?

the ONLY reason I have, and do use the single bolt,and in particular one board which has a short mast track, the 2 bolt Chinook doesnt fit.

I also have used it on a board that wanted more forward placement than a 2 bolt afforded.

I have had problems with single bolt bases , coming loose.In conversations with the companies involved this is a rare occurrence, in one case the internals during construction were mis threaded, the other was said to be worn out, both replaced without charge BTW. I have several singles and cant explain why some have been troublesome and others not, nor could the reps, most reasonable explanation was the wah wah pads when flipping the sails caused the base to unwind

IF this occurs on the water the base may still remain in the track, but you will notice it sliding for/aft and is difficult to do anything but sail straight along, turns/ waterstarts will suck. If it becomes un attached, you need more than one person to assist to replace. In very extremely unlikely event a 2 bolt comes loose, it would slide, but NOT come out that I have heard of.

yup...the name of the plane was "songbird". However....i am not that old...not even close. way before my time. Got the nickname from a family member.

welllllllllllll Iam

if the single is serving you well , see no reason to change

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, double [chinook] and old ,very old windsurfing hawaii star base. I prefer the single, as it offers greater range of adjustment, and can easilly be switched between boards. Never had a problem with failure as swchandler mentioned, but i rarely sail in big surf. Then again, the stainless steel nut seems to me to be the best option. I have the brass ,or maybe it's bronze, more likely, and it's 22 years old and still going strong. I think the 2 bolt is overkill fot most folks. I have never had the base move while sailing with the single bolt design as some people mentioned.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a single rip out of -- took a big chunk out of -- a Chinook box in the deck of a shiny new HiTech Ian Boyd in the Gorge (i.e., no crashing waves). I've had singles loosen, slide back, and fall out of the board. To prevent that, I tighten them hard ... after which I need some serious tools to remove them. No mas, although if I moved my bases often, which I don't, I may consider the tradeoffs.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Strength wise, I have never heard of a single bolt base failing (I am sure some have).

I have had the nut crack on a single bolt base. Obviously this is quite rare, but you may be sure that I've been on twin bolts ever since. And they are quite easy to adjust.

techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.C.

Stainless or brass? Actually, I had a Neil Pryde single bolt wear out, the threads got stripped so the nut would not stay tight and the base would slip.

29 years of windsurfing and only one single bolt wears out. I am not worried.
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Single bolts probably come lose more often and slide in the track compared to the two bolt.

That's why I switched to two-bolt from single-bolt. I got tired of my single-bolt base coming loose. Then I discovered that the two-bolt base is also faster to rig/derig because I don't have to take the base out of the mast track - just unclip the universal and I'm ready to go.

isobars wrote:
Because I strongly prefer simplicity, reliability, and compatibility, I stick a Chinook two-bolt base on every board and fuhgheddaboutit. It's been a hands-down winner for me in every regard.

Exactly. Complete agreement here.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is an erotic/exotic discussion
euro, stripping, sliding and breaking nuts Very Happy

i have used the single bolt US cup setup for many years
have contemplated both Euro and double bolt

it all comes down to logic and functionality {cost is minimal}
slippage is the easier one to address
my "wah wah plate" or protective plate between mast base and board has a guide - as seen in the photo below
this means the mast base may slip, butt NOT come out !!!
https://fcvdqg.dm1.livefilestore.com/y1pMnoQ4Lh1Eq7FyFu7RvpHR0o1zDa1jD93bD_PqizXXY3ZTapb3BpalF4JKnKqLFhVi8iywQRMiCHcZrqx7K4BZ86CiMklQJKd/JOE_2861.JPG?psid=1

breakage is a tougher one
if the tendon breaks - the safety cord or cloth better do it's job
most people seem to prefer the safety rope
if the bolt or nut break on a single bolt - there is NO safety !!
so, the double bolt sounds "safer"
some say it limits placement in the mast track
this means board builders are assuming single bolt mast bases
should we be asking board manufacturers for slightly longer tracks ??
somewhat inconvenient to change on the fly - this is a minor nuisance
what the double bolt does offer is an easier way to get the US cup off !!

in terms of simplicity and function, i have also started looking at the mechanical mast base, many use it for larger sails on flat water - it can be bent as you leave sail in the water during attachment!!!
i may try a double bolt mechanical US cup in 2013

hope 2013 will be a good year for all with NO mast base breakage !!!

bonne année
Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr
Happy New Year Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windance.com/DaKine-Wai-Wai-Base-Pad-WSWA2627/

the photo Joe you posted above is the base plate :
like the white plastic washer //base to board interface

http://streamlined.us/twist-on-tendon-joint-euro-pin.html

I see the little nub on yours, most don't have this

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: