myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coast to Coast Board Shipping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windnc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Coast to Coast Board Shipping Reply with quote

I need to ship a board (239cm x 59cm) from the East coast to California. Anyone have any recommendations as to shipping methods / freight carriers who can do this without it costing more than the board is worth? Fedex? DHL? Air freight? Conway Trucking? Etc., Etc.?

[/i]
Hurl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Forward Air, Inc. I used the hub out of Norfolk, Va. 757-857-9783 Very reasonable
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using FEDEX the best thing is to make an account for yourself, then receive a discount. They will be more costly , but will handle with more care, and should be convenient.

the railroad will be a possibility depending of depot location for both drop off and pickup.

any overtheroad trucking would be the least desirable from a handling prospective, you can try a broker or individual lines and receive quotes fairly rapidly. Delivering to a business or truck terminal would cut cost some, and pickup at the buyers convenience rather than receive at home in a 4 hour window

I have a friend who routinely ships from Boston area to Hood River using the railroad, its very reasonable, when I looked into this it proved to be a complicated mess both for drop and pick up, not all locations handle freight.

FWIW I would use FEDEX

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
stixx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The used and consignment furniture shops swear by the commercial bus lines - Greyhound, Trailways, etc. The most common reasons noted: the boxes are handled with far greater care than any traditional shipping company, usually under the direct observation of passengers; the boxes are less likely to be damaged because the vehicle is driven more carefully than a truck; and, there are locations near most parts of our country. I haven't tried it myself simply because the handful of things I've bought weren't so shape conducive to the "hold" of the bus. A boxed up board seems like a good candidate. In your case, I admit I haven't seen "The Dawg" on Highway 12, so it might require a trip to Manteo.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use FedEx that account advice is important. Easy to get but not instant approval.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
If you use FedEx that account advice is important. Easy to get but not instant approval.

Unless you already bring a poor record with FedEX, setting up an account is as easy as enrolling online and connecting a credit or debit card. Takes 5 minutes. With the account discount but absent any volume discount, FedEX usually will ship a board across country for $200 or less.

AMTRAK Express ships boards of that size coast to coast for about $75 and insurance is available. Only downside is the first and last miles; not all AMTRAK stations accept freight delivery and not all are AMTRAK Express. Most stations in major cities will work. I shipped many boards this way and never had any damage.

RickCronk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I've had two boards sent from Maui to my home here in NYS. On both occasions some guy with a forklift at Conway put a forklift blade through the box into the board. Two for two, some batting average. I don't know whether it occurred at the origin, or at my local Conway depot, but I won't ever allow a shipment to come via Conway again.

I did get compensation from the seller and made appropriate repairs myself, but hey.......

RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showed up at both a Amtrak and Greyhound terminal before and neither would accept a board in a travel bag due to these restrictions:

Amtrak Express
Small Package Shipments
Weight limit for each item: 50 lbs. (23 kg)
Size limit for each item: 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft
(90 cm by 90 cm by 90 cm)
Weight limit for each shipment: 500 lbs. (227 kg)

Heavy and Commercial Shipments
Many major stations handle pallets and packages.
Individual pallets of up to 500 lbs. (227 kg)
Weight limit for each non-palletized item: 50 lbs. (23 kg)
Size limit for each non-palletized item: 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft (90 cm by 90 cm by 90 cm)
Weight limit for each shipment: 500 lbs. (227 kg)

Greyhound GPX
30" X 47" X 82"
100LBS
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Coast to Coast Board Shipping Reply with quote

Windnc wrote:
I need to ship a board (239cm x 59cm) from the East coast to California. Anyone have any recommendations as to shipping methods / freight carriers who can do this without it costing more than the board is worth? Fedex? DHL? Air freight? Conway Trucking? Etc., Etc.?

[/i]

Hey Windnc, here's what I know from shipping boards for Wind-NC: Laughing

Your dims, if packaged tightly, will be accepted by a regular old fedex truck. As others stated, with an account, it should probably run you about 150-200$$. Chop a few inches off the nose and you get down to about $100 Very Happy Fed ex and most other companies run their pricing by length plus girth measurementx at the lingest measurable points, so keep the boxing to a minimum (with appropriate padding inside) and that'll help keep the cost down. Luckily, regular old fedex ground only handles by hand so risk if damage us relatively low.

Any Freight company will most likely run at higher cost, and much higher probability of forklift damage as rick pointed out...

Hope that helps! Making room in your quiver for something special and approximately 93 liters? Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Cool

http://wind-nc.com
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboardude: Here is the link for the allowance of windsurfing gear. There is no 3x3x3 limitation as surfboards can be checked baggage which then travels as freight.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565020

Maximum 10' in length, 50 lb. mass.

Not all stations accept large cargo, so that may also play into it. I can tell you from experience that Boston, NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Baltimore do accept boards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: