myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
This is a first
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
I also tried those sonic repellents for mice. It seems to have worked. Had a big infestation in my garage then one in my barbecue grill. Both went away after installing those noisemakers.

Steve

Did nothing for me.
Snake oil IMHO
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, my sister lives on the North Shore of Kauai out by Tunnels, and I know that she's been troubled by rats over time. One night we were talking on the phone and suddenly she was overcome by rats in her house, and we had to end the call. Frankly, I like the idea of having cats. They are totally awesome animals, and they just love hunting rodents. You know that they are on the job 24/7, and you have got a great friend too.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably know who she is or would recognize her, I live in Princeville.
In my experience cats are not effective unless they are basically wild and you never or rarely feed them. They'll take the easy free meals and lay around all day in a sunny spot in your house instead of hunt.
When my parents got real old I discovered rats had moved into their house, they were living under the refrigerator and the dishwasher, the cat just looked at them.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a snake that is native to New England called a Corn or Rat snake. They don't look big enough to swallow a rat, but I do know they are highly effective against the smaller creatures like mice, chipmunks and moles. They seem to move into their tunnels and live there from time to time. The local cats come around to my yard and catch mice or invade bird's nests. When we had trouble with musk rats and ground hogs, the fair sized dog kept them out when our rifle skills failed us. I tried poisoning one ground hog with anti-freeze. It's sweet so they suck it down quickly. He disappeared for a while, obviously sick and in one of his tunnels, and then reappeared with this rather nasty, hateful look towards me. Around here we have a lot of annoying bird lovers who would definitely defend the posts regarding poison. However, I really don't think a lost Owl or two would be tough to take in my neighborhood. (By the way I saw a Peregrine Falcon yesterday.) Whatever, after reading this thread, I took all my sails off the floor and laid them down on top of my boards. You are supposed to store them flat and not put anything on top of them. As to Squirrels, if you are a good shot, they do make for good eating.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all regional, most places in California the only snakes you will encounter will be rattlers and even the tree huggers will be looking for a big stick to whack away.
Some friends of ours live above Fremont in the South San Francisco Bay area, in those grassy hills with the occasional oak there are so many rattlers they had to install a snake fence!!?? Their little dog was once bitten and saved by a miracle, now they are concerned there may be a snake that was "grandfathered " in the perimeter.
By all means if you live amongst an owl sanctuary or corn snakes sun themselves in your yard poison is probably not a good idea but.... for everyone else, I believe it's the best choice.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre using traps, be careful what you use for bait..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6tCtM8UEQv8

feuser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
There's a snake that is native to New England called a Corn or Rat snake. They don't look big enough to swallow a rat, but I do know they are highly effective against the smaller creatures like mice, chipmunks and moles. They seem to move into their tunnels and live there from time to time. The local cats come around to my yard and catch mice or invade bird's nests. When we had trouble with musk rats and ground hogs, the fair sized dog kept them out when our rifle skills failed us. I tried poisoning one ground hog with anti-freeze. It's sweet so they suck it down quickly. He disappeared for a while, obviously sick and in one of his tunnels, and then reappeared with this rather nasty, hateful look towards me. Around here we have a lot of annoying bird lovers who would definitely defend the posts regarding poison. However, I really don't think a lost Owl or two would be tough to take in my neighborhood. (By the way I saw a Peregrine Falcon yesterday.) Whatever, after reading this thread, I took all my sails off the floor and laid them down on top of my boards. You are supposed to store them flat and not put anything on top of them. As to Squirrels, if you are a good shot, they do make for good eating.

<shudder>

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy, not all cats are that focused on rodents. However, some breeds are cunning and ruthless when it comes to rodents. I had a Maine Coon, and although he was very well fed, he liked to kill rodents just for the sport of it. Usually he didn't even bother to eat them once he killed them. There was one time though, when he brought in a big mole into my bedroom at 3:00AM. In having some fun with it, he woke me up. However, once I got up, he suddenly lost all interest in it. I have to think that it was a present for me. Fortunately I was able to trap it and throw it outside to live another day.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with cats running free is they decimate the songbird population and they crap everywhere which spreads the toxoplasmosis they carry.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
I tried poisoning one ground hog with anti-freeze. It's sweet so they suck it down quickly. He disappeared for a while, obviously sick and in one of his tunnels, and then reappeared with this rather nasty, hateful look towards me.

Musta been a pretty smart groundhog to have casue-and-effect cognition, Brucie -- certainly smarter than some people I know.

seedysailor wrote:
I really don't think a lost Owl or two would be tough to take in my neighborhood.

It's more likely that the owl would catch the cat. That's one less cat to take a dump on your front porch.

seedysailor wrote:
As to Squirrels, if you are a good shot, they do make for good eating.

A squirrel is just a furry tree rat, big guy.

You like eating rats?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: