myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Frosty Friday !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant comment on your blog about "fin lesson". i also cant draw the vector diagram, but imagine that the flat wave sail has insufficient draft to give any mast base pressure to counterbalance your back foot pressure hence the spinout. happens even with race sails if pulled out too flat when overpowered
and too lazy to rerig. did you look at west dennis in the southeast, or just go for the speed ditch?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulf. wrote:
the flat wave sail has insufficient draft to give any mast base pressure to counterbalance your back foot pressure hence the spinout

Nicely put. I was thinking along similar lines after seeing how flat the sail was in the video, but could not quite put it in words. I think it's not just counterbalance - more draft and therefore mast foot pressure makes more weight in the harness and less pressure on the feet a lot easier.

Another trim issue I noticed when watching the video is that my back foot is extremely far outside, hanging half off the board. I guess I forgot to make the straps larger when switching to the thick booties. Heels on the rail is fine, but heels a few inches out really does not help.

Quote:
did you look at west dennis in the southeast, or just go for the speed ditch

I did not look at West Dennis. I like WD for speed at low tide, but the forecast called for extreme winds then (around noon). The winds did not go quite as crazy as predicted, but the heavy rain came in before 11. Anyway, when in speed mode, the flatter the better Smile.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr Actually, it's too cold for me at 62. When I was in my lower 40's it wasn't. I suspected that the camera location exaggerated the board tail movement, but wasn't sure about the boom. I don't use flat wave sails very often and don't experience spin-out much. If you are going to sail flat water like that, you should pick up a cambered sail in that size. You vids do give a great perspective on the techniques of windsurfing. Merry Christmas All.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoinebo:
Next time i'll give a double nod....prefer to jaw-online rather than while rigging in the lot.
You will always get a laugh from Josh, so rig whatever feels right. He can hold a meter more than most.

The senior leadership at Team Abide has anticipated a horde of angst-driven sailors, and actually had one semi-serious discussion about membership criteria.

It boils down to the ability to answer three basic questions instantaneously and without research:

1.) "I can get you a toe by _______?"
2.) "Do I look like I am _______?"
3.) "Where's the money ________?"

If you are not prepared to answer those questions..watch "The Movie" about 50 more times....If you don't know which movie then forget it.

BTW, Crazyfingers has just batched up a whole bunch of killer black T-shirts for the aspiring....i have plenty as does JE, and CF....sold at nominal cost for the love of it all....gotten some + feedback while wearing the colors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: