myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Folks need to deal with realities & logic, not emotions."

Based on what you've said so far techno900, you've basically implied that there's really nothing that can be done. If someone wants to kill, there's always a way to get it done. So taking that reasoning a little farther, let's do nothing and continue to let things go undeterred. Sorry guy, I can't accept that.

Would you be making the same arguments about the "War on Drugs" and the ever increasing war on drinking and driving? Maybe we should be setting up police gauntlets on the roads with gun sniffing dogs. If you're found with an assault weapon, high capacity magazine, an unregistered weapon or an unlicensed concealed handgun, it's off to jail. This would be following with permanent confiscation all weapons and huge fines. And for those repeat offenders that just don't get it, they become felons and they are sentenced to spend some real time in prison.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
Techno--shouldn't we limit gun reselling and require background checks?

Nice idea, but the scope of the problem is too big and the legislation required will not fly for obvious reasons.

What you are suggesting is that anyone with a gun that wants to sell it will have to go through a dealer, regulated by the government. No person to person selling (good luck with that).

Background checks will show that some buyers are not eligible to buy a weapon because of mental health issues or a criminal record. Fine, but of those buying from a system that requires the checks, what percentage will be flagged? Very, very few because they know that they will be flagged. So where do they go to buy or get a weapon? That's the issue.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a person to person sale of a handgun (to pay for a new windsurfing board) and was required by law to go thru a gun dealer and have the dealer fill out the paper work to be submitted for back ground investigation of the new owner. Again, this is in CA. Not sure how it works in other states but it seems to me that this should be the only way to sell a firearm.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
NW wrings his hands and argues that if we can't stop all of the killing there's no point in trying at all.

Mac once again you have shown how full of shit, and yourself, you are.
You claim to know all about me and where I stand on whatever your pet issue is, this time "Gun nuts".
I'm not a member of the NRA, and I don't even own a firearm, but I know feel good legislation when I see it, and how it will just give our benevolent politicans cover for not doing something that may really work, like focusing on mental health, and ultra-violent video games, and the family structure. But that's harder, it won't give you, or our politicians, that instant gratification that is all they are really looking for.
My focus is on the family, not the government.

I never went for that liberal "it takes a village" crap, or the "nanny state".

Good families are built on the personal sacrifice of responsible parents, not the self fulfillment of parents outside the family. Strong, committed families exist even after divorce, they exist in non-traditional families… families are the people who raise their children.
The place where children need to get their strength, direction and values from is the family. A solid loving and supportive base, creates well adjusted kids that are better equipped to handle daily challenges and stress.
The only really meaningful thing that any one person can do in life, is raise good children. Period.
Your job is irrelevant, your wealth is irrelevant, your successes are irrelevant… if you fail to raise good children.

I wouldn't call that 'wringing my hands' and turning my back on the issue.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last person to get any guns from me simply kicked down my front door and took them. (Now that we're both retired and home most of the time ... good luck wid dat.) But hundreds of thousands of guns are stolen every year and thus placed directly into the hands of criminals. No delay, no background check, no registration, no traceability; just weapons.

Look, the function of the police is to come running after a shooting. The only person who will be there in time to prevent that shooting is the victim, and the only way he's going to prevent it in cases anything like what we're talking about is to shoot first the instant the threat is unmistakable.

"Gun nuts", my ass. Sure, they're out there -- I wouldn't go anywhere near the Idaho panhandle if my skin were any darker or I wore a turban -- but the other couple hundred million U.S. gun owners simply want to have the right, the capacity, and the opportunity to keep themselves and their families safer. Armed, sane citizenries have been shown in countless studies and nations to achieve that goal. (I'm not so sure about another guy in Albuquerque who wore only two items as he strolled the streets every day: Jockey shorts and a sidearm. But he had no criminal record, and all the law could do was make sure he didn't jaywalk.)

As with alcohol, tobacco, Twinkies, and now pot, public safety would have probably benefited if guns had been banned several centuries ago. That $#!+'s all out of the tube now, so the only way to level out the playing field is to drink, smoke, eat, toke, and pack.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
If someone wants to kill, there's always a way to get it done. So taking that reasoning a little farther, let's do nothing and continue to let things go undeterred.

I think that small thermonuclear devices should be issued to every taxpayer, one per person.

Since everybody will have one, everybody's safe. No licensing or training required. Let's just give 'em away. Nothing will happen, nothing at all, because every person will understand the risks and act accordingly, particularly those who've grown up with a heavy diet of TV and video game violence. After all, once people have died, you only need to restart the game and everybody's alive again. No harm, no foul.

<wink>
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
A solid loving and supportive base, creates well adjusted kids that are better equipped to handle daily challenges and stress.
The only really meaningful thing that any one person can do in life, is raise good children. Period. Your job is irrelevant, your wealth is irrelevant, your successes are irrelevant… if you fail to raise good children.

A recent Dear Abby question was what right a single mother's extended family had to complain when she put her three-year-old in day care every day from before work in the morning until late in the evening after her triathlon training. Complain, hell: that's grounds, IMO, for legally and physically removing that child from that mother permanently. It's not a doorstop, fool.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now ISO is an expert on how to raise a child...Ive seen everything.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueno we don't need nukes, we could just issue bazookas, large conventional bombs and assault weapons to everyone to make us all safe.
Like in Somalia.Look how safe they are.
Oh you don't like puenos idea?
That's because you want to take away my hunting rifle and destroy the constitution.

Last edited by keycocker on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno did you read about the guy in China who attacked a school recently?
No guns available in china so he used a knife on twenty kids. They all lived.
The jerks in my teenage years had no guns, though it wasn't impossible to get one. They also threatened each other with knives.
I think it should be possible but not simple to buy guns and esp bullets by well trained people. This will still allow gun violence but not sponsor it, and let the US lose it's number one status in the First World for gun deaths of all kinds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 4 of 331

Jump to: