myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waterproof Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second the Casio, mine's been with me for over 500 days in the water, and 4 years in the van. Still keep time, never fogged. One battery in 11 years.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Wow, a constant reminder that you need to be somewhere else. Not sure
I'd like that, but it would be good for that last day of your trip, when you
need to catch a plane. I might try it.
I often wondered why anyone would carry a cell phone or watch while engaged in a water sport. Thanks for giving me an answer, but I'm not so sure it's a good one. I have a water proof Swiss Army watch good to 5 fathoms or something like that. Over in the Hyannis Mall there's a little booth that sells watches. They have a depth and pressure tester. I seldom used the Swiss Army and the batteries kept running out. Earlier this year I made the mistake of trying to change the battery and gasket myself and screwed it up. The guy at this booth told me that it would be $80 to set it right. Since I have been using my Timex Indiglo which is marked "water resistant" most of the time (pun intended), I haven't got it fixed. I never have taken either watch in the water, though, for any length of time and can't vouch for them except that the Timex lights up at night and served me well in my below zero cacoon sleeping bag. (When trying to survive a white out you do want to know when the sun will set, don't you?) I never did have trouble with it failing me in snow, either. Nevertheless, the date mechanism doesn't work right, but I'm too blind to read it without glasses. So that makes me want to extrapolate further. In the Swedish movie "Hour of the Wolf" the main character played by Max and his wife watch the time because his demons come during the "hour of the wolf" which is that hour from midnight to one A.M. There's a good reason to wear a watch.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if chophop is still interested?

I bought a Timex Ironman Triathlon a few months ago for $45. I used it scuba diving a month ago (7 dives to 60-80') with no problems. Rated water resistant to 100m.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. If must be a full moon.
justall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
Wow, a constant reminder that you need to be somewhere else. Not sure
I'd like that, but it would be good for that last day of your trip, when you
need to catch a plane. I might try it.
I often wondered why anyone would carry a cell phone or watch while engaged in a water sport. Thanks for giving me an answer, but I'm not so sure it's a good one.

My issue is that I'd promise the family something like, "I'll come in at 7 and take everyone to dinner." Then, I'd lose track of time and come into shore a couple times to check if it was getting close to 7. I fretted more without the clock than with it. Now, I just take a quick look at my "mast-watch" and carry on! Much better for me.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of those Blackberry slaves ... so shouldn't be listened to. If I'd lose the watch, I bet I'd be a much better sailor ... and happier)
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found that the life span of WSing watches -- including my G-Shock -- depended more on watchband integrity than on waterproofness. I thus used cheapies, and quit doing even that when two disappeared from my wrist in one day. The G-Shock was simply too bulky anyway. Besides, on a fantastic evening, I'd be more willing to throw away a $20 watch (sorry, Hon; my watch fell off and I lost track of the time*) than a $100 watch.

* "But the sun set 45 minutes ago ... at 9:05, you jerk. We already drove to Mama's and ate; you're on your own."
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Wow. If must be a full moon.
Actually, it's a new moon which demonstrates how far off you are. Justal, there's no need to explain yourself, we understand. Right now I have a watch on the desk which has "MADE IN CHINA" boldly printed in white on the back. On the front it's marked "water resistant" and "100ft". It has a rubber band (watch band, that is). I'm highly skeptical of it's ability to withstand 100 ft depths. In fact I wouldn't wear it in the shower in spite of the great band. The guy I stole it from wouldn't tell me where it was sold and I doubt he even knew. There's no brand marked on it either. I did save some money by putting in the battery myself. Twenty five years ago I went through a lot of Dollar Store watches. They all failed rather quickly to keep accurate time out of the water, and I never did get a chance to put them in the water. However, I found one that was made in Japan. It kept perfect time and lasted for a decade or more. However, it only got wet if I was caught out in the rain and if I skied in falling powder. Which brings us back to comparisons between bump skiing and chop hopping. You can only go so far with such stuff. Waves and chop are dynamic and changing constantly while moguls on ski slopes are static in comparison. Antelope at MRG offers terrific terrain for skiing, but you can find some rather nasty conditions there. It's a great place to test your watch, though. Once I took another watch of mine to a Chinese guy in an Arlington, Ma. store to have it fixed. (I'm going into the bedroom and pick it out of the chest of drawers now.) It is a wind up watch and unfortunately stops often. He didn't want to do the work (I think all it needs is a new spring and a good cleaning.) and told me that I could find plenty of them for cheap in N.Y. However, it's rather unique having a clear face and backing allowing one to see the moving parts. I should have told him that N.Y. was 200 miles away and China was even further, that I wanted to use this watch to keep time and he had better shut up and get to work. A New Yorker would have done that.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst readily admitting to not quite having the interesting life of Speedy and his watch fetish, I heartily agree that being able to accurately tell the time is an essential element in demonstrating our human superiority. I'd be mortified if an inquisitive dolphin was to pop his head up to ask, and I was unable to tell him!

In wind up watch days a cheap water resistant Timex liberally coated with melted candle grease was surf resitant; for a while before misting over inside the glass, but those days have gone.

When proper quartz battery watches with faces and pointers came out, Swatch (Swiss-watches) were first to market and advertise a cheap truly water sport watch with a seperate screw capped battery compartment, to avoid splitting any seals. I saw one in a glass of water in the window of a local shop. They worked just fine in surf. The weak point was the strap pins, which could pop out - goodby watch.

Now, it seems, almost any cheap water resistant to 50 metres watch works just fine in average surf. (Present one a 4 year old cheap Lorus.) The weak point is still the strap pins. (Caught mine on sleeve of wetsuit getting changed, and out one popped.)

My gripe isn't with watches, but with Garmins. Waterproof they aint! (Ruined one which kept telling me I was doing 60 m.p.h. one second, and 5 m.p.h. the next.) Fed up of having to use a flimsy plastic arm strapped pouch for new one. Doesn't any company make a wrist fixing waterproof case to put the Garmin in? (Minus Garmin staps, that is.) Put me right on that Speedy, and I'll boom your expertise to the world! Wink
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
. . . . . which demonstrates how far off you are.

Brucie, when it comes to "far off," you take first prize.

Anyway, big guy, you ready for Christmas? I do wish you'd post more pictures of you in your Santa hat. With a white beard, you'd look just like the jolly ol' guy.

What's up with the watch stories?
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a Nike Watch (Oregon series), but after two, I gave up.

As Isobars stated, for me as well, the issue is the band and not the waterproofness of the watch.

Nike uses an unique integrated band, and it can only be replaced by an authorized service center (not worth the expense). So, once the band goes, so goes the watch.

Currently, I am using a Rip Curl stainless analog watch I got on sale at Zappos. I am very happy with it. Pretty tough so far and it looks good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: