myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
PROOF: Obama IS the end of the free world
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 407, 408, 409  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Brennan? Now that's funny!
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the key concept is that sellers do not set the price of goods and services and can not raise them when taxes go up.
airline tickets are the cheapest they have been in my lifetime.
airlines are losing money like crazy on tickets ,but can not raise prices because when they do so we cut back on air travel.
Retailers are charging as much as the clients will pay for goods and can not simply say rent went up or taxes went up so you will all now pay me more.
another related myth that makes perfect logic but is not true is the idea that the price of an object is based on its cost.
My uncle sells little clever plastic crap that mostly just costs a few cents to have made in China.
He gets a dollar or two for most things and they retail for 4 to 5 bucks.
if his cost of production were to triple, his clients still are only willing to pay the same.
if he raises prices the stuff wont sell and no one cares that his taxes went up.
Buyers set the price of everything. we charge them as much as the market will bear regardless of our cost of production or taxes.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker,

When retailers experience increased costs or overhead, they will mark up prices if they can do it without reducing their market share. It's competition with other similar retailers where the games begin to be played. Airlines would raise ticket prices if they weren't the only ones doing it, but instead, they try to increase profits through baggage charges, seat premiums, increasing plane capacity, reducing staff, outsourcing maintenance, canceling flights, pay cuts to employees, take away food service, etc. Even with all this, they struggle and lose money hoping that the economy will change, and if it doesn't, some will go belly up and the survivors will have a larger market share.

Other products get repackaged into smaller amounts for the same price, which equates to raising prices. There are lots of ways that businesses try to keep their profits up, but at times when money is tight there may not be away to stay in business if the product doesn't seem to be a necessity.

Yes, there are things that people just won't pay more for, so to cover increased expenses, the seller must cut something or profits will go down.

Your assumption is that prices don't increase, but they do. If it's not the sticker price that goes up, something more subtle is going on to keep profits up and to stay in business.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realize, Techno, that KC said long ago that prices are not increasing. He claimed he was (is?) still paying the same prices he has for years.

Really? The price of gasoline has doubled in the past 4 years. A can of soup or box of cereal costs the same or more despite being smaller than it was four years ago. The REAL Consumer Price Index (not the artificial government one that deliberately no longer contains stuff that now costs more, such as food and energy) is way up ... well more than twice as much as the artificially manipulated one. Restaurant prices have gone up dramatically.

Don't forget that he helped develop a school, and has not merely admitted but boasted of telling his students lies about me by name, so it would come as no surprise if he has also invented a new arithmetic by which a business which provides no profits for its owner is anything more than a charity, and that a business whose owner actually loses money is not feeding off his other assets. That, or he believes as Obama does that one can spend money he doesn't have forever without consequences.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPI does include food and gas, Core CPI does not- because of their transitory nature, so dont USE a deflation price in 2009 for gas prices, use the five year average. The reason restaurant prices are higher is because the market will bare it. The restaurant biz is much different than it used to be, big chains dominate, and profit margins are twice what they used to be. Are you telling me the core price of Tequila is skyrocketing because of inflation-too much money chasing too few goods-I say not. People are happy to pay $12 for a top shelf margie because they choose too. Its the same reason people drive monster trucks inspite of high gas prices...because they can. You guys will know when inflation hits, its unmistakable.....is that a word?
KC, can you explain to an anonymous internet wanker like myslef why your students would care about Mr. Isobars? Enquiring minds want to know.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Really? The price of gasoline has doubled in the past 4 years. SNIP

Perhaps Mikey was buried by disability checks so as not to notice, but current gasoline prices now are just about the same as they were in 2007. Natural gas prices are at historic lows. Of course, each time he posts the price of natural gas drops to zero. I'm off to light up my BBQ.

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Don't forget that he helped develop a school, and has not merely admitted but boasted of telling his students lies about me by name..."

isobars uses another opportunity to whine a bit, but as I recollect, keycocker only shared with his students some comments that isobars had been voicing here. Lies? I think not. isobars was simply revealed for the type of character he is.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I let them access this board online freely on their own, so my apologies go out to Iso and all of you for having readers with no politics or clear agenda except perhaps to finally get laid.
Their take on you guys was positive except of course iso.
Guys like him make themselves look bad to folks from every culture, through the window of their statements here.
Teens can smell character from a great distance at times.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can ANYONE who saw today's confirmation hearings of Chuck Hagel excuse either his existence in the U.S. government or his nomination for SecDef? I didn't know squat about him yesterday, and in just one day he proved himself, apparently even to most Congressmen on both sides, to be one of the most ignorant, bumbling, inept buffoons in Washington, D.C. in decades.

AND YET THE PRESIDENT NOMINATED HIM FOR THE MOST CRITICAL JOB IN THE NATION OTHER THAN THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF.

I'm watching a Dept of Home Security video advising the public to grab some scissors and hide in the event of a mass shooting in your workplace.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:
I didn't know squat about him yesterday, and in just one day he proved himself, apparently even to most Congressmen on both sides, to be one of the most ignorant, bumbling, inept buffoons in Washington, D.C. in decades.

Mikey, I was impressed how he restrained himself from crawling across the table and tearing off the faces of those ignorant GOP dipshit tools McCain, Inhofe, Cruz, etc., for their thoughtless, mindless, meaningless, ignorant, pointless attacks.

You fit right in with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 398 of 409

Jump to: