myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
women
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: women Reply with quote

A Rambling praise of Women in the sport

We need to praise all women who get involved here because overwhelmingly, the women I’ve met along the way, in our sport(s), are more grounded and even tempered than the rest of us useless sad sacks.

Last week I mentioned a housewife who got into SUP’g. She got into it from another woman who I got hooked about 2 years ago. Housewife or women #1 got hooked in one session, almost the same day she learned of having stage 4 cancer. Since that day we (she and I) have had some great sessions. One last time last year she was complaining about a wave (small) session were she only got 6 rides. My response was wtf, that was 6 more than ever before. A few weeks ago #1 and I did a clockwise circumnavigation around Nauset inlet. She was so confident in her skills; she did it in street clothes. #1 and #2 are frequently getting together for flat water sessions. JJ or #1 was so bummed out she couldn’t do a down winder 2 weekends ago; she walked her dogs along the shore to catch a glimpse of us passing by. That night she called up and said that the next one needs to be a co-ed session.

Speaking of boards in general, our little home-town surf break is ruled by a women. She’s earned that position, in my mind, as she is better than most and goes out the conditions bigger than most too.

I would have posted my thoughts sooner as Women #2 and I were out last night volunteering for a youth activities group. Then busy at home doing a sink full of dishes as my wife was busy teaching AP Calc to my daughter, who’s a surfer, and her friend.

My wife is not much of a sailor or surfer, but she did impress me last summer, at 50, dropping in on a wave that was solid chest high to her.

RC
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always gotten a kick out of seeing 110# wimmin driving up alone, rigging up as fast as they can, and making 30 knots with gale force gusts and head-high swell look easy. This is a muscle sport only if one wants it to be.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
My g/f just received a new Gaastra7.5GTX and Chinook Carbon Slalom boom by Fed Ex care of MattPritchard.
And her new Starboard Formula is scheduled to arrive a week after we get back from PuertoRico.
SuzieQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always said that behind every goodfemale sailor, there is a supportive male. Altho this may seem anti-feminine, the truth of the matter is that windsurfing equipment can be confusing and too technical to the average woman. Fixing dings on boards, replacing worn out finstraps, repairing rock-scraped fins and all the other technical stuff, can be very intimidating.So for all my friends, my husband, buddies, and fellow sailors who have helped me, thanks! And for those of you who are helping women stay in the sport, carry on! It's a whole lot more exciting to see both sexes out on the water, and on the beach!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heard that before. wonder if it's nature or nurture. the latter, methinks.
http://www.boardlady.com/

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
heard that before. wonder if it's nature or nurture. the latter, methinks.

Agreed. My lovely windsurfing wife often asks for help with computer stuff, simply because she's used to it. There were always plenty of "helpful" guys around when she was in college. But when it comes to windsurfing, she won't let me touch her gear anymore, except maybe to take it out of the van. Perhaps I encouraged her a bit to do her own stuff once she got seriously addicted, or maybe she is just convinced she can do it better. Either way is fine with me Smile
lasrer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there are the wonderful women, like my wife Jean, who although she doesn't sail, supports my habit in full.

She understands the unpredictable timing of it and it patient with all the gear around.

She was glad it wasnt windy when we got married 22 years ago, so my friends would show up.

Iceratz was there!

ed
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife gets up with me at 3:30 AM before all the big Gorge swap meets 150 miles away, fixes a big breakfast, drives me to them while I prepare shopping and For Sale lists, then markets my For Sale stuff while I shop for my Wish List stuff. She didn't bat an eye when I bought five boards at one swap meet (four of them no-brainer winners not even counting their nickels-on-the-dollar prices), and asks me every year or so if it isn't about time for a new quiver of sails. Birthdays, anniversaries, social activities, holidays, leaky roof, flat tire ... none of that matters if it might get windy, even though she gave up windsurfing decades ago.

That's just one of the many reasons we're at 43 years and counting.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, women who windsurf and SUP are seriously awesome. Cool

For men, obsessing about technical toys and individual sports and games, while putting social and work obligations on the back burner, is expected- even encouraged. For women, not so much.

Any time someone seizes the joy of windsurfing it's a victory, but when a woman does it it's an extra badass victory against the expectations.

Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Yeah, women who windsurf and SUP are seriously awesome. Cool

What about women who just sail? Very Happy
My wife started from windsurfing and then gave up after minor injury while learning harness and footstraps. But she didn't give up on sailing finding herself in laser sailing. I love those days when the wind is up and down: she passes me while I slog and I pass her in the gusts. While doing that we tease each other for being slow and having lots of fun. Very Happy

Andrei.

IMG_0419.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  21520 Time(s)

IMG_0419.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: