myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Old Longboards for stand up paddle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb, I have a kayak paddle that snaps together. I supose I could tie it to my pfd, but would feel safer with the paddle tied to the board, between the nose and mast. Have you ever tried to paddle with half a mast? I suppose if that is all one has to work with it would be worth a try. Glad you mentioned it, as I would have never thought of trying this.

Thanks
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A greenland paddle IS basically half a mast! It's the best touring paddle ever designed.
Top of the mast is 8' long, just about the same length. Top is lighter in weight, slightly smaller. You are NOT a trained paddler, so smaller is better.
Foolish to break down your rig, then try to lay atop and paddle with arms that aren't surfing trained. Much easier to sit astride the board, use the top of the mast like a greenland paddle, and happily paddle whereever you want to go....in flat water and little wind.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a little fella it will work pretty well but for big fella's a SUP needs to be 30" wide minimum.
inarchetype

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No expert, but all I can add is that I've been (flat water) SUP'ing my Windsurfer Once Design periodically when there's no wind and I need to get out on the water for a couple of years now. IMO it works great, but I've never SUP'd an actual SUP, so YMMV. It's probably a bit tippier and lower volume than most SUP's but perfectly workable and comfortable for anyone with any background in board sports.

Before I picked up the WOD, though, I'd started SUP'ing on my old LB, a '86 Vinta 340- haven't gotten wet yet SUPing the wally- definitely can't say the same for the Vinta. That was a fun and interesting challenge- with the advantage of making the WOD feel like a battleship when I switched.

I'd originally planned to use the WOD interim to getting a real SUP, but, for flat water, at this point don't see the point unless I want to take a rider or a cooler or something out with me.

-----
also, I'm about 70kg, so might not work as easily for bigger guys.

Last edited by inarchetype on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Kinetic 296 x 69 was by far the nicest SUP ever.
Flat deck, thick boxy rails, thin overall for a low center of gravity, and 16 lbs. 145 liters.
But CalAdventures threw it away early this year.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to pick up my Mistral Maui today to use for both windsurfing and stand up paddle, got it loaded in the truck when the seller says to me " I have another windsurf board here If you'd like to take a look". So I say ok, turns out to be an early 90's F2 strato in the light carbon construction, hardly used, new footstraps never used and 10 pounds lighter than the Mistral Maui. It's 66cm. wide as opposed to 70 for the Maui, but I went for the F2 mainly because of the weight advantage and the fact that is looked nearly new. Specs are 360 x 66x 218L . I can't figure out how the mast track is supposed to work, and think it may be broken, but other than that I think it will work well for me. Is the mast track supposed to be adjustable while sailing this board? I can't seem to get the track to move, and the board belonged to the sellers son, who lives elsewhwere, and has no interset in the thing. Anyone here familliar with this board? It's white with purple and orange stripes on one side and says epoxy carbon lite.14 kilos. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a black or red depressible buttom at the back of the track to step on while sailing to move the track forwards for upwind, and back for planing downwind at speed.
Track is probably jammed with dirt, or the line's inside broken. You'd need a F2 snap in pin with two grooves to enter the track, then a level lock to hold it in place.
Or, can drill two holes, one on either side of the mastrack thru the aluminum, and bolt on a two bolt foot for your normal Chinook base, non moveable now.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks zirtaeb, I managed to remove the track,it was held in place with 5 screws. Lots of fine grit and dirt. The pedal was stuck in the fully depressed position, and was jammed all the way back towards the tail. Works fine now, quite smooth also. Now i'm all set to paddle and sail, just need a sunny, not too cold day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: