myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who's Heard of GT Masts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsangeor wrote:
The GT Sails and masts are Isthmus' (Gary Stone's) own brand. Best bet would be to ask them about the details.

Brian

be interesting if they quote anything other than constant curve

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m not in the camp of ...such and such sails need THIS mast...
I was one of the guys using RDM CC's on Windwing and Waddel full cambered slalom sails. 1990 thru '95. Worked better for me.
I was using RDM for wave sailing in all sails from '90 thru '96, including NeilPryde and Gaastra wave sails, North, Hot, Windwing.
In those same sails, I used SDM for flatwater bay speeding and jumping.
I like BOTH draft forward, locked in feeling sails AND draft back, wandering draft sails.....depends on size of the sail for the winds expected.
I've liked both long AND short boom sails.
And nobody sailing next to me can say I'm wrong.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders about the GT RDM mast and its real properties. First, regarding price, the GT mast at $519 isn't really that inexpensive. I had a Hansen 100% RDM that was made in Italy, and it was an absolutely terrific mast. Similarly, I have a 430cm Gulftech that was made in Italy, and it was also perfect for my sails. Both the Hansen and the Gulftech masts are a 64-76% CC bend curve, which is generally pretty good for many different sail brands. If the GT mast was made in the same Italian factory, and it incorporates the same bend curve, it could be a great product. Still though, being a European made mast, you will pay more based on the exchange rate.

One thing to think about when considering a new mast is comparing a foreign made mast with an American made mast like NoLimitz. The NoLimitz is actually less expensive, and it offers a bend curve that is very compatible with many brands, like the Ezzy brand. One thing that I learned recently is that NoLimitz offers the flexibility of combining their "Original" and "Sumo" tops and bottoms to effectively customize mast performance. Just this week I had the opportunity to match an "Original" bottom with a "Sumo" top, and the combination was great for my sails. As a result, I'm going to upgrade my current "Original" mast to include a "Sumo" top component.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect that the GT mast would be compatible with the GT sail.

It may be possible to find what the actual mast bend curve is.

It will suit some sails,no doubt , Gaastra and Hot Sails or Neil Pryde all in exceptional order, nah.

Iam curious what RDM masts were being ridden in 1990 ?

NoLimitz made the first PRODUCTION RDM in 1992

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I would expect that the GT mast would be compatible with the GT sail.

It may be possible to find what the actual mast bend curve is.

It will suit some sails,no doubt , Gaastra and Hot Sails or Neil Pryde all in exceptional order, nah.

Iam curious what RDM masts were being ridden in 1990 ?

NoLimitz made the first PRODUCTION RDM in 1992

U2U2U2, NoLimitz released their Skinny in 1991 despite what their website says. I rode for NoLimitz starting in '91 and had a bunch of Skinny masts, all the same and all production. Protos likely were around the summer before and possibly the first production run was released in late 1990. That's going back a long way.

I know Fiberspar did a bunch of proto testing in the 1980s and eventually produced the Needle in 1992 and also the Breeze. Very different masts but each RDM.

George Greenough used custom RDMs since the early 80's. This is from 1984, I believe:

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes NoLimitz say '92 in production.

I can't say what customs were prior to that.

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oct.'89 AWA tradeshow in FtMasonSanFrancisco, Powerex showed us the RDM's the first time.
I worked at SausalitoSailboards, who didn't carry Powerex masts.
In Jan'93, I started work at Windsports. The owner had been using Powerex RDM's for 2 years, and KennyHartz had been pushing them for 3 years.
Most of you knew Kenny, a great sailor and pushy rep.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a harness in that pic, huh? quite a recessed mast foot too....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan's right about George Greenough. George designed and manufactured the first RDM masts, however, I don't think they were made as early as the early 80s. I think it was more like the very late 80s. Also, they were all one piece masts. He also made the first carbon booms that I ever saw, and they were entirely monocoque single sized (no adjustable extension component), but were still a tie-on design.

Regarding the photo, it was taken at Pismo Beach, but the date of it is more like a 1990-92 timeframe, because George started making his own sails at that time, like the one in the photo. Prior to that he was using Aeroforce sails, many of which were modified by cutting away the clew so that they would fit his carbon booms. In the photo, the only thing George didn't make himself was his wetsuit. I remember him sailing that board too. Notice how the his custom made mast track is sunken below the deck. George was a true innovator that was doing leading edge things way in advance of everyone in the industry. His handmade super high aspect carbon fins were to die for. He also made paddle design weed fins made from stainless steel.

Going back to RDM masts, George is the one that gave NoLimitz the design concept and advised them in their prototype phase of development. The thing that was so unusual is the fact that George simply gave them the concept free.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1985, I went on a surfsailng trip to Jalama. Fogged in, we retreated to LakeLopez and George was king there on his fiberglass spoon 6' board, RDM mast, and Aeroforce sail. One of the guys who drove down on that trip also used Aeroforce's 7 cammed wide sleeve sails, JohnChilds.
George must have shimmed the cams, as that sail was designed for SDM.
We all had wave sailing gear, and most of us pinched upwind to sail with the legend. He didn't seem any faster, or jibed any better, than most other windsurfers there....amongst windsurfers who could jibe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: