myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ideal Boards to Have on Oahu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easier to learn to ride the board with the 36 cm fin first. It'll give you more power to get planing and stay upwind, and will make the board feel a little more like the 160 liter board you're used to.

Once you've got the hang of that, a 25-30 cm would probably be good for the wave fin. Maui Ultra Fins makes a 26 cm wave fin that would be a safe bet. Or the 30 cm nospin fin if you want one that's more in between the feel of a big fin and a wave fin.

So jealous that you get to sail in Oahu! Smile

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you just find a 36 cm curved fin, it will allow the board to not feel so highly strung, esp when on the wave face. oahu front side days are probably quite like florida's. maybe the waves can be pitchier, but the wind about the same. haven't done it, but i've heard tell of its conditions from many.

it's all a matter of degrees. lots of folks might pass up days that would be ideal for the 282 that's on hand. balancing the rig size to those conditions may require a larger sail. on thanksgiving day here in florida, the waves were 15 foot, wind was side to side off at about 12-24 then it picked up a bit toward mid afternoon. i felt great on my trusty Exo-Wave 105 and 6.5 wave sail. anyone who went out with smaller gear at that spot got creamed. gotta have power to play in lighter wind spots.

lastly, make sure you put your mast foot pretty far forward to keep the fin from lifting too much on the wave. only move it back if the board feels too wet-ed going down the wave front side. again tricktionary will allow you a bunch of on tap learning curve....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride 282 is a friendly freeride board, nice turning and soft riding, not at all like the slalom oriented little brother, the 277. It's more like the 272, 268, and 260's.
Yes, that would work fine.
LONG walk down to DH from the parking lot. Maybe 1/4 mile with all your gear, about 20 minutes down and half an hour up. It's also more advanced than Kahala, but the channel is obvious and the reef more friendly. Kahala has sharp rocks, very unfriendly reefs.
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. F2 Ride 282 it is then and if i wreck it then so be it; it only cost me $150.

Now a question regarding sails: I have NP Atlas 5.4, Aerotech Phantom 5.7 that are more or less "wave sails". I also have the Ezzy Freeride V 6.5 (2011 incarnation of the Cheetah), a "flat water/chop" sail.

What will happen if I rig a non-wave sail like the Freeride V 6.5 in any kind of wavy conditions? I only have a SDM mast in the 460 cm length that this sail calls for.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the cheetah have tube battens? if so, do not use it in the surf. they break way to easily if they get tumbled in the wash. 5.7 phantom can be tuned with an RDM to true tractor pull settings with very little tension. that app. does not work that well on an SDM. dunno squat about the NP.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6.5 cheetah would be a good sail for flatwater for the F2, and you could probably use it in the surf, too.

It has rod battens, not tube battens, so it ought to be decently durable. The standard diameter mast might be the weak link.

The only thing that might make it less than ideal is the cut of the foot. On a wavesail, the sail cut is more or less a straight line from the mast base to the clew end of the boom, like / On a freeride sail, there's more "foot" of the sail that sticks down from the boom to the mast base, like _/ On the ezzy cheetah there are even two battens below the boom to help form the _/ With the way you need to move the sail when you're oversheeting and making sharp banked turns on the wave, the _/ will sometimes get in the way, dragging in the water or pushing against your legs and feet.

bstaib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While people are on the topic of Oahu. I recently moved here and need to pick up a rig. It seems very difficult to find anything used. Any suggestions?

CraigsList has a few things pop-up but very little. A water-sports-swap-meet would be a great thing on the island. Anyone know of any water sports related swap meets that I am someone missing? Do I just need to fly to Maui and transport it back to Oahu?

My wish list includes a 90-100 liter wave board (92l JP Freestyle Wave would be perfect), 5.0 and 5.8 wave sails and assorted gear. Left all mine in CA; wishing I'd brought them with me. Almost worth a plane ticket back to SF to pick everything up.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m starting a collection of stuff in PuertoRico now, or next week.
Too bad you didn't contact me 6 years ago. I had stored over 12 windsurf boards, 20 sails, 7 masts, and 10 booms on Oahu, 4 houses to the right of the river at Kahala, right where the Intercontinental used to be.
It was in the apartment complex (4 apartments) directly behind the 2 gold lions, with the sunken grass tennis courts my neighbor.
I used to launch right there, at the sandy part of the inlet sound, and watched JackLord walk by for 5 years.
I think the stuff is gone now, as I haven't been back and Billie, the Makapuu lifeguard next door, also moved out. He used to windsurf within side of Molokai....from there.
nodak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bstaib wrote:
While people are on the topic of Oahu. I recently moved here and need to pick up a rig. It seems very difficult to find anything used. Any suggestions?

Let me know if you're interested in my 115L? Something tells me it'll be a handfull for me. I sent you a PM too.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not likely. the 9'6" length and 57.2cm width may be more ideal than you think. lots of differing opinions out here in forum land. what may be considered blasphemy in one part of the world is very nice in another. you've got not much sunk into the 282. go use it. the only thing i'd do different to it is get a swept fin for it: 30-36 cm. worry about the rest after you've sailed it a bunch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: