myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ideal Boards to Have on Oahu
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Ideal Boards to Have on Oahu Reply with quote

I would like to determine which boards are good for sailing on Oahu: Kailua and Diamond Head. It is my observation that wind on Oahu is light to moderate. My skill level is a borderline beginner-intermediate. I'm at 185 lbs.

Currently in my quiver is the 160 L Exocet SCross (2007). I sail the 160L Exocet exclussively in Kailua, but it is not suitable for wavy conditions off Diamond Head. As my skill level advances I've been thinking about replacing the 160L with a freeride board in the 130L range for Kailua, but there's never enough wind there to justify the switch. So maybe I'll just hold on to the 160L for now.

So what board is suitable for wave sailing off Diamond Head considering my skill level? Is it the WindSUP 11'8? Diamond Head gets a bit more wind but I can't imagine marching up and down the Diamond Head slope with an 11'8 board.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiamondHead, Brownies, and Kahala can get 15-24mph quite often in the summer, so something closer to 105 liters, and a 6 meter sail is often the call. You wouldn't want to wave sail in those kinds of waves with a big board, as it's not Florida or SoCal out there.
Backyards, Moks, and Hukilau also have juice and moderately strong winds, so something around 105 you can slog and barely uphaul at your weight.
A FSW115 is also a good idea, but not for 'yards or DHead.
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an epoxy F2 115L probably from 2000 or so but have never used it on account of lack of wind and skill. I was actually going to try the 115L on Diamond Head with my NP 5.4 Atlas on 1/2 way decent day. I figured if I'm to learn wave sailing might as well do it with cheap ($150) crap board like that. Why you say it's not good there?

The object here is to cut down on the number of boards. That's why I mentioned the WindSUP 11'8. What, no room for the WindSUP 11'8 on Oahu?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windSUP 11'8 would make it really easy to grab waves, but may be too slow once you got on something with some push. but it is stupid easy to get out past any beach break, and to get on any wave super early. gotta wonder, if there's a point break and reef there though? if that's the case, then look into tricktionary, study it on how to deal with light side off, etc.

Cross 114 or X-Wave 111 would be pretty darn good. i tend to like bigger sails than most for 15-24 fluky stuff. i'd choose a 6.2 or 6.8 for those types of dayz.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got maybe 14 trips to Oahu, at least 10 for windsurfing, and usually staying in the winter months for over 3 weeks each, up to 2 months.
DiamondHead is just to0 steep and hollow for longer boards, but if the old F2 had some tail rocker and a narrow tail, it would work. Average day with wind, any time of the year, is well over what windsurfer's call logo high. 6' in surfer's terms. Since I had a 265Wave, I can't imagine an F2 that volume that fits the needs.
Brownies is usually sailed at the same size.
Backyards is the break 200 yards to the right of SunsetBeach. The waves are hollow and the bottom is shallow.
Moks can be more forgiving, but since it's a beach break, it catches you inside at the worst moments. Not sure about standup paddle board sized boards getting out, but E winds ARE inconsistent, so it might work.
Days I've sailed DH with Robbie, CraigYester, and TomCastleton were always 5 for Robbie, 5.5 for the 190 lbs'ers on glass 8'3" boards. Planing 20 yards from shore, and wound up once at the break.
There IS a break that suits a bigger board, the one at Kahala, where the Hilton used to reside, then the Intercontinental. You gotta tack 4 times to get upwind to the break, but since winds are consistent, I always rode a 8'6" bump board for that, as my wave boards were usually sub sinkers around 8' and poly glass.
Quite often, when winter E winds don't get into Moks, and it's 12mph on the DH side, a beach called Hukilau can blow 15-25, wind from right to left, and you can sail either almost straight out, or off to the left, sorta paralleling MaleakahanaBeach, side onshore winds. It's great open ocean sailing, when the whole island seems to light in wind to support windsurfing.
The years I was sailing there, '86 thru '93, it was still legal to windsurf Kammieland, Sunset, Velzyland, Chuns, Lanikea, and I got many days of right reef break rides zipping past surfers who braved the 20 knot ENE tradewinds. No more.
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my old F2 115 with a 36cm or so fin. Is it good for Diamond Head? The only reason I'm fixated on Diamond Head is because it's within walking distance.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've ridden the junior brother of that board in waves a bunch. it should be more than adequate for some time. shorter curvier fin should make the board less likely to feel big and balky in the top and bottom turns. also, it should relax the stiff feel you may get when you initially set the toe side edge in the wave. remember to keep your knees supple when riding the wave. crouch and use lots of mast foot pressure through your arms with them out straight.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
shredley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond head and almost all wavesailing spots on oahu are for experts only, with gusty side offshore winds, shallow water, some exposed rocks and crowds of angry surfers sharing the lineup especially at diamond head in the summer. The key to your success at this location is to go out only when the surf is very very small or even flat. This will clear out most of the surfers and limit the damage to your equipment and yourself. Another issue is that the wind can be very squally up and down, potentially leaving you stranded and blowing out to sea. If it is small enough any of the boards mentioned would be fine. On bigger wave days you will find sailors of your size on boards from 80 to 95 liters and sails up to 5.5. The reason is that the side off direction and steep surf will generate a lot of power on the wave making bigger gear very difficult or impossible to control, but you will need expert skills to sail this smaller gear out thru the break in light winds or lulls.

The wind can be quite strong on oahu just not as many days as maui.

Good luck and have a great time sailing in paradise!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 11'8." It's great for mellow waves or rolling swells, but I'd be hesitant to take such a big heavy board out in serious fast waves on a reef break. I'd maybe look at a more high-performance longboard waveboard, like the Exocet Curve 10'5" or 11'5"

That F2 will probably be good for now. Before you take it in waves I'd focus on learning how to balance on it, shlog it, get it planing, uphaul it, etc. It ought to hold a 7.0 or smaller sail pretty comfortably. Is there any spot where you can get good wind without scary waves? When you do take it in waves, a shorter more curved fin will help, like Ingebritsen said.

nodak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
I have the 11'8." It's great for mellow waves or rolling swells, but I'd be hesitant to take such a big heavy board out in serious fast waves on a reef break. I'd maybe look at a more high-performance longboard waveboard, like the Exocet Curve 10'5" or 11'5"

I know I read your post on the 11'8. I agree it's a poor choice for Diamond Head.

About curvier wave fin: any particular size for this board. The rule of thumb is +/- 5cm at the 30cm mark from the board's tail. What do you say, a 25 cm wave fin?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: