myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to get epoxy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a user of the West Epoxy for 35 years I agree that it is a very good product. It seems to have an excellent shelf life if you keep it at a moderate temperature. With the pumps you can accurately mix small amounts and also not make a mess as you would trying to pour it from the containers. With the various fillers it can be used for lightweight fairing and structural bonding. I just purchased a new West kit (1 quart resin and a .44 pint hardener) with pumps for about $80 which for me is fine considering that it will last for quite a few years.

However if I needed any larger quantities or was very budget constrained I would be tempted to try the US Composites products http://www.shopmaninc.com/epoxy.html
This product was mentioned by UrbanFisher above and recommended by rigitrite in a previous discussion. Their product appears to be less than 1/2 the price of the West epoxy and they also sell dispensing pumps.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
mchaco1,

I get the impression that you're not that serious about windsurfing over the long haul. While I realize that you're stoked about the sport and what it has to offer, I can't understand your reluctance to invest in important repair materials so core and vital to keeping your equipment up. A quart of West System epoxy and a pint of hardener comes in under $100. When you think about it, that's quite reasonable for what you're getting, and it will last you for many many years. I should emphasize that epoxy doesn't go bad over time. More recently I finished off some epoxy that was over 15 years old, and it still worked beautifully.

If this month's budget won't cover it, just charge it and pay it off over the next few months. The extra money in interest is minuscule in the bigger picture. Like I said, think of it as an investment in your future.

I dont see how that makes me any less serious about windsurfing... Im sure the majority of windsurfers never even attempt a fix on their boards... I just dont need a big supply. I picked up a pint set for under $20, which should last me a good long time.
damel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not a big repair I highly recommend one of west systems pre-packaged repair kits.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=996926&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50218&subdeptNum=50219&classNum=50220#.UMFNTeQ0V8E

Unless you already have a shop with fiberglass, filler, etc.... The epoxy in the kit comes in packets that hold a few ounces each so if you do 1 repair then nothing for a year the epoxy doesn't go bad. Even if you do your best to keep a container of resin or hardner air tight it goes bad after a year usually.

The kit includes high and low density filler (dry fibers you mix in with the epoxy to make it lighter and easier to sand down) as well as fiber glass cloth, gloves, small brush mixing tools etc....

I worked in a big shop that had molds etc... and from my experience if you need more than what comes in this kit you might as well get it professionally repaired because once you get the fiberglass, filler, gloves etc... separately it gets expensive fast.

gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

West System does have a long shelf life- as long as it doesn't get too hot- but the catalyst will darken over time- it'll still work, but the final resin will be a darker brownish red- not clear/ amber.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No argument that West Systems is an excellent product. However, US Composites epoxy is just as good, lasts just as long, and is 1/2 the price.
US Composites has alot more selection too, including some really exotic materials (those are not cheap). I've been using their stuff for the past 15 years after using West System and Meritex materials for quite a while.

swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1,

My apologies for being a little tough on you in my earlier comments. I guess it baffles me that some folks don't seem to be too serious about doing their own repairs and getting the best materials for the job. While windsurfing is arguably an expensive sport, I think that epoxy, hardeners, fillers and fiberglass materials needed to keep your boards in good shape are really not that expensive or hard to work with.

You appear to want to tackle repairs, and that's a good thing, but I must emphasize that getting the right high quality materials is so important in achieving the best results. There are many types of epoxy out there, but not all are that suitable for marine applications. The 5/1 ratio epoxy is the stuff you need. There are many sources for this type of epoxy, so the West System brand isn't the only source for good product. The good thing about West System products is that they're carried by all West Marine stores, so availability is excellent.

Even if you aren't ready to invest in West System epoxy products, I would highly recommend getting your hands on their free User Manual, Product Guide 002-950. It will tell you everything you need to know. When using epoxy, the one part where I differ from the manual and many here, is that I steer clear of the measuring pumps. What I find better is to mix by volume using marked plastic containers. This approach works exceptionally well when working with very small amounts. Moreover, the containers can be used a number of times for mixing, and they're also very inexpensive. More importantly, I think capping off the cans after use of epoxy and hardeners will ensure a longer life.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigit- I'll give the US Composites a try.. Thanks.
And can you send me a care package of Gates??? I miss KC BBQ
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West systems is a great product, but way too expensive for small repairs. Save your money. As urbanfisher stated , uscomposites has a pint with hardener for $17.00. It works every bit as good a west, but is not crystal clear, being slightly amber. I bought a pint years ago and still have over 1/2 left. You will get about 1/10th that amount of material from marine tex for the same price.
UrbanFisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses US Composites. It actually is a great company to work with and you really can't beat their prices. And I never found their products to be inferior in any way.

Another thing to look at for repairs is expanding foam. When you have big dings or holes, that is a great space filler. The shake can versions you get at a big box store are really not good for repairs. The two part expanding foam is much better. It's rated by lbs. The heavier lbs, the stronger it is. I have seen some of this stuff being beaten with a hammer and the stuff didn't even ding let alone dent! Again, the best place to buy expanding foam would be US Composites.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler

since this thread has pretty well run its course, and options have been given.
I will point out none the less at the risk of being hard, that most of these posters will in 30 years have the experience and knowledge that you now possess.

The bad thing that I see with a product like West Systems, in other than the repair kits is the amount wasted when mixing from the pumps, it makes too much.

so for very small repairs I use MarineTex, Solarez or ding stick, and larger more permanent ones West Systems epoxy ,the associated balloons, and hardeners , Iam sure some other epoxy's may work as well, but its what has served me well

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: