myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2012 i-To-i Race
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudeskate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: 2012 i-To-i Race Reply with quote

Fort Lauderdale, FL -- Wow! This will be the 10th year of the i-to-i! Time flies. It doesn't seem that long ago we ran the first one. Check out the website to learn the history of the event.

The 10th annual running of the Inlet to Inlet Long Distance Race is scheduled December 1-2, 2012. The i-to-i helps wrap up the US Windsurfing National Race Tour for 2012. More information, notice of race, (NOR), etc. can be found on the official race website:

www.i-to-i.org

Hope to see you there!

Ron Kern
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, for sure!

I remember barely finishing the 2008 race but having a great time. I'll see if I can get over there that weekend.

-James

dudeskate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i-to-i is just a couple days away. Hope you've got your cellphone case, gear checked twice, and are ready for the challenge. If you need to get stuff in preparation for the race, make sure you contact our generous sponsors:

Adventure Sports / Neil Pryde / JP

Liquid Surf & Sail

Sandy Point Progressive Sports / Aerotech / Exocet

iWindsurf.com

(If you would like to be a current or future sponsor, please contact me by email or phone.)

The forecast is looking great for the race.

SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY
EAST NORTHEAST WINDS 14 TO 19 KNOTS ALONG THE COAST TO EAST NORTHEAST 18 TO 23 KNOTS IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS UP TO 8 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

I've heard from a few people planning to race that can make it on Sunday but not on Saturday. If the wind forecast holds and is true, it doesn't appear to matter a whole lot which day we'd run the race, so I'd like to hear from other people if they have a preference. It would be more fun to race on Sunday if the weather cooperates, but the wind comes first. In addition to perhaps better attendance on Sunday, the Hobie Cat fleet 44 is running what is the fleet believes to be the 40th anniversary of the Commodore's Cup race. I think it would be cool to be out when they are.

Let me know if you have a preference to racing Saturday or Sunday.

If we race Sunday is there interest in a tuning day or a pre-race clinic with racing tips, ocean sailing technique, etc. on Saturday afternoon?

More later,

Ron

ron@ronkern.com
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can race either day!

-James

d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know whether the consensus is for Sunday or Saturday. For now I'm assuming it's going to be on Sunday, so I probably won't arrive until late Saturday.

-James

dudeskate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i-to-i Race is on for Sunday 12/2/12.

Thanks again to our sponsors who have come through with piles of prizes and events for the race.

Sandy Point Progressive Sports / Aerotech / Exocet

Liquid Surf & Sail

Adventure Sports / Neil Pryde / JP

The first possible start IF you do not get another email is 11 a.m. Sunday, 12/2/12, skippers meeting at 9:30 a.m. Be prompt, seriously. I don't want to have to rush the skippers meeting or cut into rigging time. First race is targeted at 11 a.m., really. We want to launch minutes after the start of the 40th Commodore's Cup. However, this is not carved in stone and could be changed, (earlier), if it becomes apparent that a mid-day wind sag is not beneficial to getting the race off. If we are targeting an earlier start at 9:00 a.m. with a 7:30 a.m. skipper's meeting, or possibly before on Sunday due to predicted conditions, another email will be sent and the http://i-to-i.org website will be updated. Don't forget your waterproof phone case & start watch!

Here's why Sunday is picked.

1). Better attendance

2). We can race along with the Cat 44 Hobie Fleet running on Sunday, 11 a.m. start.

3). The forecast is great for the next few days so it looks moot as to which day. I don't think we have a huge risk of not having wind for the race on Sunday. Forecasts vary but it looks like a minimum of 12 mph is in our future and mostly likely quite a bit more. NOAA marine forecast below:

SATURDAY
EAST NORTHEAST WINDS 14 TO 19 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS UP TO 6 FEET. DOMINANT PERIOD 5 SECONDS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY
EAST NORTHEAST WINDS 17 TO 22 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET WITH OCCASIONAL SEAS UP TO 8 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

4). I am willing to offer a pre-race clinic 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, 12/1/12. I need to hear from anybody interested so I know to show up. Topics are up to the audience, but can include: shorebreak launch/landing techniques; ocean sailing tips, techniques, tuning, setup; on the water session; etc. When/if you respond let me know what would benefit you.

5). We can take advantage of some great happenings that are going on Saturday.

Dave Kalama SUP clinic - Free! See invitation in link below:

http://ronkern.com/2012%20Kalama%20Clinic.jpg

Wow! Awesome opportunity to learn from Dave Kalama! In case the directions aren't clear above, here's an address and coordinates that should be pretty close: 225 N. Beach Road, Dania Beach, FL 33004 or 26.05825°N 80.11201°W

6). Party, prizes and more at the Adventure Sports Fort Lauderdale Grand Opening 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. See invitation in link below:

http://ronkern.com/2012%20Grand%20Opening.jpg

Did you read open bar, rock/blues band, food, prizes & giveaways, above? Yes, it's all going to be there and more and Neil Pryde himself will be there. I'm planning on bringing my blue coffee table book, Will to Win - The Remarkable Story of Neil Pryde Limited, from last year's i-to-i prize giving to the party and have it autographed. Dave Kalama will be attending as will a number of the Cabrinha team riders.

7). We can hold an after race party at my house on Sunday. Last year many said it was the best party ever.

Let me know if you want to attend the i-to-i clinic on Saturday, otherwise I'll see you later on Saturday for the Kalama clinic, the party and of course Sunday morning at the skippers meeting.

This could be the best i-to-i ever! Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Ron

Ron Kern
(954) 565-4154
dudeskate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-race clinic is ON for 1 p.m. today, 12/01/12 at the event site.

Ron
954-565-4154
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish there was a way to get a live feed on something like this Smile
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conditions were very windy with scary shorebreak, but with the ENE wind direction the people who could point high were able to do the whole course in just three legs. Ron finished in 1:09 with his NP 9.5 and Mike's lab formula board with 64 cm fin. Second place was a hotshot kiter named Zach riding a latest-greatest 70 cm wide course-racing kiteboard. I came in third, way behind the top two, a little under 2 hours. Lots of flying fishes and sea turtles in the monster turquoise swells out at the edge of the Gulf Stream. Pretty amazing! I posted my GPS track. Counting the maneuvers at the start it was 24.5 miles.

itoi2012track.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.73 KB
 Viewed:  15647 Time(s)

itoi2012track.jpg

d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures, video, and write-up on my blog: http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2012/12/inlet-to-inlet-race-report.html

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: