myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
World speed Record: 50 Knots 500 meters barrier broken
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: World speed Record: 50 Knots 500 meters barrier broken Reply with quote

Anders Bringdal and Antoine Albeau exceeded 50 knots with respectively 50.46 and 50.59 knots on 500 m. Still a long way to recapture the absolute speed record but a big gain from the previous windsurfing record (49 and change).

Antoine makes it look easy, and the perfect lay down at 50 knots gives the size of the skill level of these sailors! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hF9flM1zfs
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: World speed Record: 50 Knots 500 meters barrier broken Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Anders Bringdal and Antoine Albeau exceeded 50 knots with respectively 50.46 and 50.59 knots on 500 m. Still a long way to recapture the absolute speed record but a big gain from the previous windsurfing record (49 and change).

Antoine makes it look easy, and the perfect lay down at 50 knots gives the size of the skill level of these sailors! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hF9flM1zfs

And now it has been pushed up to 51.69!
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "SailRocket 2" has just done 59 knots ( still be be officially verified), and >60 knots at times. That raises the bar pretty high now...
jse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
The "SailRocket 2" has just done 59 knots ( still be be officially verified), and >60 knots at times. That raises the bar pretty high now...

One way to resolve this would be to make them go both directions, then take the average. SailRocket would not be able to compete. Which reminds me of a situation at a party I attended in college, at a friend's house out in the country. He had a horse, and my roommate said "I want to race a horse". They said there was only one horse, so how could he race it? No, I want to race the horse. He bet a certain amount of money he could outrun the horse in a 50 yd. race. After the bets were placed, he laid out the course, 25 out and 25 back. The horse lost at the turn.

Steve
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:

Probably untouchable, but I still think that the most impressive record to date is actually the 50.17 knots over a nautical mile (in open ocean!) by Hydroptere. Something that can probably be only touched by a sailboat ...
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to mention this, but the custom windsurfing speed boards only have
one set of foot straps, and are designed to go (fast) only one direction.

-Craig

jse wrote:
andrewc wrote:

One way to resolve this would be to make them go both directions, then take the average. SailRocket would not be able to compete. Which reminds me of a situation at a party I attended in college, at a friend's house out in the country. He had a horse, and my roommate said "I want to race a horse". They said there was only one horse, so how could he race it? No, I want to race the horse. He bet a certain amount of money he could outrun the horse in a 50 yd. race. After the bets were placed, he laid out the course, 25 out and 25 back. The horse lost at the turn.

Steve
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

Oh well ... Vestas made a 65.45 run with 68.01 top speed ... in 27-30 knots of wind!!!!! It is untouchable by kites or windsurfers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipGWQmerEQ&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by dvCali on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

Oh well ... Vestas made a 65.45 meters run with 68.01 top speed ... in 27-30 knots of wind!!!!! It is untouchable by kites or windsurfers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipGWQmerEQ&feature=youtu.be

I dig that stuff. It looks quite a bit safer than the rear helm position that they started out with, that was freaking dangerous.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us stuck on the American number system; 68 knots=78 MPH, 65 knots=75MPH. 30 knots of wind=35MPH. As we know, one can easily reach 35 or 40 MPH speed in the right conditions in 20 MPH wind.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Cavitation on Fins Reply with quote

Interesting that the Vestas SailRocket was held to 52 knots without them being able to do anything to make her go faster, until they analyzed it to be the foil that counteracts the sail pull was cavitating on one of its sides. The windsurfers are at 52 knots. Their fins are different than SailRockets foil as the board provides a 'ceiling' above the fin, but I wonder if any of the lessons learned on SailRocket can be applied to the For-Speed Windsrfers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: