myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 Thruster Wave Boards vs Quads & Singles
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windnc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: 2013 Thruster Wave Boards vs Quads & Singles Reply with quote

It seems like there are a lot of triple fin "Thruster" model wave and freewave boards coming out for 2013. So are the thrusters a better choice for all around wavesailing except for DTL side-off conditions where the Quads excel? Can they perform as well as single fin wave boards in side-on winds, mushy waves or choppy high wind bay sailing conditions? Or is their greatest attribute only the ability to provide increased wave performance in the thruster configuration and then give the rider a great high wind B&J board option when sailed with a single fin???????[/u]
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little is clear cut concerning performance differences, because shape, rider preferences, and size of fins can make huge differences.
Tiny trailer's on tris can make the board pivot as quickly as anything, and the added size of larger rail fins hold the turns.
Big tail fins and small side fins on quads or tris can give a single fin effect, except for the added drag.
Singles can turn like twins, tris, or quads by having a wider tail, forward fin placement, and short depths with more swept.
And every custom production company uses a COMPROMISE shape that handles well for Mr.Everyone, or no on in particular.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just the latest bling. for most onshore waves spots, don't bother. i can't stand all this hype coming from side off and windy spots. little tiny fins on little tiny boards stink in a typical side on day. friend of mine has a quad 95 liter. he stank and nearly sank when my single fin 105 sailed right thru the same conditions on thanksgiving day. the day prior, another friend tried to make his twin fin work, and he flailed too.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to answer the OP's last question.... NO...
Bad idea to make a board with options for 1,2,3,or 4 fins...or 5.
The rocker and template is designed to ride ONE way. That is the optimal configuration. Anything more or less in fins will be a compromise in the wrong direction.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
And to answer the OP's last question.... NO...
Bad idea to make a board with options for 1,2,3,or 4 fins...or 5.
The rocker and template is designed to ride ONE way. That is the optimal configuration. Anything more or less in fins will be a compromise in the wrong direction.

I and other Open Ocean riders would have to disagree. There are some that love their boards with the side fins and others that swear by them without.

edit: But I am talking about Bump n Jump and not waves

damel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rocker and volume of a board is probably more important than how many fins you have. I sailed a Goya Quad this summer and found it started planning in the same amount of wind as my quatro single that is the same volume. There are other quads out there that are specific to clean side-off conditions that would not plane as easily such as the Quatro KT quad. The quads don't have the same top end speed/pointing as the single and as a result take a little more work to jump and stay upwind when working through surf a lot. The mistake most people make with quads is that you are supposed to sail a bigger board than you normally would. The most all around kind of fin setup is still a single fin.

That said I just got a JP Single Thruster board that I am planning to use as a single in SF Bay and a tri at waddell. Looking at the board the rocker is definitely a little flatter than both my single fin and quads.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as all the design details and venue differences affect the answer very significantly, so do rider preferences and sailing style. You can put 6-8 Gorge sailors together on the same patch of water at the same time and each one can be demanding VERY different things from his boards and fins. I've got to assume the same applies to most complex venues.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

complicated subject matter , of 3 or 4 fins now adays with some twins still around, and quads that can be ridden as a twin.

the 5 fin convertible being a option by some, board shape will not be optimized to all configurations.

This reminds me of automobiles, all the different ways to have a drivetrain positioned, each variation will have some advantage and some disadvantage
and these can change by the users locations and climate.

the multi fins are going to stay, and fins will progress with sophisticated foils and have various toe in angles, some do already.

the option of a single is not going to go away, its rather like the ball hat with the little tag, " one size fits most"

for a multi fin board I would look at not only if I can sail as a single tri quad twin, but if I have some movement in the boxes to alter fin location fore aft

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Number-nine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now fully committed to quads for my own quiver

My opinion
If you can only have one board for all conditions go for single fin fsw they do every thing well Speed good, turns are ok, b&J great, onshore waves really good side off is work able

Tri fin wave boards shape is a bit more like a single fin wave they are better in waves either side on or side off than a sinlge fin a bit slower for all around
May want to go slightly bigger in w and volume than a single fin for wave riding.

Trifin FSW would be better for turns in waves but would ride as a single fin in b&J or flat water

Quad go 5-10 liter biger in size that you would for single fin, Not fun in any way for B&J or flat water, Can go really big volume for light winds
May not always plan on way out but best wave riding. side on side off does not matter most quads will trun circle around single fins and generally are better going up wind and for control wave riding than 3 fins
Not as fast can make many mortals turn like rock stars with some technique

Twin fin wave boards are not made for Mortal windsurfers at all

Over all I would say most multifin wave boards are made for and are focused on wave riding.
if you want to blast around go single fin
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with Peter.

one point is :: what is wave sailing. Both my quad and tri fined board work really well in Hood River and Rio Vista, meaning some will say those condition are not real waves.

The tri fin goes upwind really well , have not gone back to a single fin even thought on mine its a option.
The quad will turn like it has a mind of its own, making top and bottom turn on the swell.

My twin is now a quad, but its such fun riding as a twin , extremely loose,
but using small side and center fins a tri will get close to that feel

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: