myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jerry Coleman's Dad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doucet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Jerry Coleman's Dad Reply with quote

Boards // News // RIP Justin Coleman

News
RIP Justin Coleman

Amy Carter - Editor November 26th, 2012 No Comments

Some sad news has for Irish windsurfing has come through recently; Boards send our best wishes to the family of Irish windsurfing legend Justin Coleman…

Justin Coleman
“This week the Irish windsurfing world lost a legend and a gentleman.

Justin Coleman was one of the first people in Ireland to have windsurfed in our waters.He took up the sport in it’s early days but when he was already about fifty years old.

Born in Kinsale Justin had salt in his blood.After leaving school he served a 7 year apprenticeship as a shipwright.He also spent many years at sea travelling the world before entering his final career as a distinguished Port Of Cork Harbour pilot, safely piloting large ships into Cork .It was during his time as a Harbour Pilot that Justin, already a small sailing craft expert, discovered the somewhat esoteric joys of early days windsurfing and it’s equipment.

Justin had the physique and courage of Christy Ring and the charisma of John Wayne both combined with a generous spirit. He was also also gifted with his hands and proud of his original boat building skills which he constantly put to use in all manners and ways.

Justin Coleman
Justin sailed totally year round, in all weathers.He was one of the first people in Ireland to own what was then known as a sinker.No day was too cold nor wind too strong.He thought many people to sail and his enthusiasm was only outweighed by his patience.

I can well recall the first visit of the PWA to Brandon Bay.I had been introduced to Robbie Naish and despite being somewhat star struck I spotted Justin nearby.I immediately called him over and introduced him to Robbie as the Grandfather of Irish Windsurfing.Robbie was rightly very pleasant and respectful towards Justin. I can recall Justin telling Robbie they had something in common by informing him “my son was born on the very same day as you!”

Justin continued hardcore sailing well into his seventies until an eye problem forced him to retire.He died this week eighty years young after a few short days of illness.He was buried in Cobh with “Home from the sea” emotionally sung by the large gathering at his graveside.Our sympathy is extended to his lovely wife Bernie his son Gerry now living in Boston and who remains an avid windsurfer with the next generation of Coleman rippers under his wing as well as to his daughters Catherine, Helen and Justine along with his Grandchildren.”

Sail on Justin, we won’t see your likes again.”

Words by Alan Lynch

Justin-Coleman-2-613x415.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.65 KB
 Viewed:  14587 Time(s)

Justin-Coleman-2-613x415.jpg

Justin-Coleman-1-613x435.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.68 KB
 Viewed:  14587 Time(s)

Justin-Coleman-1-613x435.jpg

doucet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Jerry Coleman's Dad Reply with quote

This is Jerry Coleman's dad. All of us who sail on the Cape know Jerry well as a fellow windsurfer and a wonderful friend. We wish you our condolences and hope to see you on the water...carrying on in the tradition of your father.

All the best
Miichael
WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear this news Jerry. I wish I could have met your Dad.
JE
(Thanks for sharing that with us Mike)

outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great Dad, Gerry, I'm sure you will miss him.
SuzieQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,
I see your Dad's spirit in you, out on the water. Very sorry for your loss.
Suzie
ron.c

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in-law would sometimes go with me to enjoy the fresh air.

He and J/Gerry's dad spent one wonderful afternoon bullsh!tting, about who what and where, at Kalmus.

RC
lasrer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

My condolences. You have the same smile as him. After your mourning period, please show it to the world, like I have seen it many times out on Lewis Bay.

ed sinofsky
angulo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel honored to have met and chatted with Justin and learned a bit about his waterman exploits. His Gentleman spirit continues strongly in his son Gerry and grandson, both of whom I'm proud to call friends.

Aloha Mr. Coleman ! See you up there one day.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be an Irishman and a windusrfer, well that just about says it all.
You are not only smart, but you are good looking as well!
RIP.
All the Best,
GLTA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: