myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How high can you jump?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I show such negativity is that I've snapped 6 boards in my first 3 years of windsurfing, have split my face requiring 12 stitches from the boom, know at least 3 guys who broke necks, and many more who've injured knees, hips, and ankles doing high jumps. The jumps were all fine, the landings did the damage.
Something that promotes going for stuff is just a bad idea, but maybe a sign of the times.
I'd hate to see more windsurfer's get hurt, going to the E room, requiring CoastGuard or whatever rescues, and it all draws negative vibes into our sport.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope you're talking about really big stuff, as in >20 feet. I've never felt vulnerable jumping as high as I can, because I can't jump that high. MAYBE once, but when I go for altitude it's nose up, tail down, and on my armored back if I feel threatened.

OTOH, I've rung my skeleton like an I-beam hitting pavement in a few flat landings from barely overhead heights.

Besides flat landings or twisting falls, what's doing the damage ... tricks gone awry or just serious altitude + imperfect landings?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've gleaned, some folks like to go big. One only has to check out what some of the young guys are doing in the PWA contests in the Canary Islands. Waves are less than stellar, so big winds and stout ramps have been a large part of the competition. You just have to be young and wild enough to let everything go.

Needless to say, LeeD and I will pass.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumps in tne Gorge are different than on wave sets.
You can get four feet of air off the first wave and have the bottom drop out in the trough between waves, making the landing a fourteen foot drop.
You know, like jumping off the second floor balcony of your motel into the pool,strapped to your gear.
I hear tourists say"hey no problem we jump this high all the time on lakes in Canada, then wind up like LeeD.
J.r.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a pledge? Is the product the case or the app?
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottoms can drop out as often in waves as in the Gorge. You just have to sail fast over the flatter parts of the wave, go up 4', drop 8'.
I'm sure wave boards land softer than fast bump boards.
Fresh water easier than salt.
In RIP, Naish is going only 12' high, 35' distance, but at speeds well over 26, and that can be dangerous on a slalom board.
Chris and William broke vertabrae by jumping in waves, with wave gear, but going well higher than 15'.
Seems even the pros often bail when they get over 20', on a normal jump, for a reason. Butt landing from that height +, can still fracture a board.
Dale, Bruce, Mike are legends.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to add Bob Dill, having watched him hitting 30 feet virtually every reach at Swell one afternoon.
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that would explain why Dill chose such thick rails, flat rocker, and extreme full V on his boards. Fast, with a somewhat smooth landing.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ... and his willingness to throw it all away at over two masts high whenever his gut told him to.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Dill made some sick boards, but his logo was even better - mutant fish with the catch phrase, "If it swells, ride it."

I met him in the late 80's at swell city on my first trip to the gorge. After watching my flat landings, he asked me to demo (and try to break) one of his boards. Despite being on a 2.9 and a 20-something body, I couldn't do it. Back then, I rarely had a board last more than one season. The older sails definitely jumped better, but I wouldn't go back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: