myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ANYONE REMEMBER THE KING OF THE CAPE???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavedawg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: ANYONE REMEMBER THE KING OF THE CAPE??? Reply with quote

Follow the link below to my first Vimeo upload, which I produced a few years ago, featuring lots of Cape Cod windsurfing stoke and many familiar faces.

This presentation captures the energy and enthusiasm among competitors and spectators at a windsurfing event held at West Dennis Beach on Cape Cod. Though most of the professional and amateur contestants were from the New England region, some traveled much further, including pro division title winner Josh Stone of Hawaii.

The event producers wanted a short presentation documenting the excitement that they could use as a promotional and sales tool for planning and financing future events.

Our best local events these days happen on short notice, have no official sponsors and everyone wins, followed by celebratory cold beer in the parking lot. No town officials are EVER involved - we just all show up and rip!!

Enjoy, and stay tuned for more . . . .

Click on this link to view:
http://vimeo.com/53440627
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video wavedawg! Funny how as we get older 13 years seems like a few years ago! It certainly would be lots of fun to do something like this again, and I would love to attend,although I really suck at freestyle. Just would be lots of fun getting people together again who love to windsurf.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for posting. Shocked to see Trip Forman mcing the event. Guess it was before he decided to cancel windsurfing...

DC
Number-nine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavedog were you on the film crew for that
Nice work

KOTC was a great event. Marc L and Ann did a great job of pulling it all together.

As a participant and later as a sponsor/co-organizer the KOTC was a lot of fun

Yes it would be great to do an major event here again
These things take a lot of effort and $ to pull off well.
Permits insurance and all that is needed now make it fairly expensive upfront
Also industry has limited budgets for sponsorship
Non industry sponsors are equally hard as with so many demands for $ and the current economy make that a challenge

In the later years of the KOTC it was even difficult to get the participants to agree to entry fees to cover the costs.

What is needed is a leader and a champion to get it started and a few good sponsors.

Any one who craves the comraderie, action and a chance to meet some of the best windsurfs in the world shoud attend and AWT event. The AWT organizers do a great job.

I have not attended but I suspect that the LI windfest that Mike B does Is a good time as well.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the East Coast Windsurfing Festival that Mike organizes in Long Island is a blast. We've been there the last 2 years and are already looking forward to the next one. Very friendly, low-budget, supported by the local shop, tons of fun. It does, however, require a lot of effort by Mike, Crissy, and a few other people.

It would be lovely to have a similar event on Cape Cod.
amphibiousrodent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wavedog,

Nice post! I just was talking with Brian "ireman" Talma a couple of days ago about how cool the king of the cape was.

Somebody has to post this video (at least the trip forman "how great freestyle windsurfing is rant") on all the kiteboard forums... always fun to raise some sh!t.
wavedawg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video was shot by a TV industry friend with a broadcast-quality camera. It was recorded on videotape (no one uses tape anymore, media gets recorded on a memory stick or some other device!) in 4:3.
High-Def 16:9 had just been introduced at the time.
The voice-over was provided by another friend in the TV biz.
I produced, planned and coordinated the coverage, and later edited it.

it is always nice when pro's like Robby Naish, Josh Stone and Brian Talma visit our area. When Brian was here, I got 1-on-1 forward loop instructions and stoke to get me goin' ("De Action!"). I later went out and made a few attempts before deciding that freestyle was not for me.

There is plenty of great sailing to be had here on the Cape, but the erratic weather conditions make it all but impossible to plan a competitive event.

A couple years ago we had an informal wave challenge at Corporation Beach. This was a great venue for all - huge waves generated by the gale force NW blast, and close to the beach where people could watch and actually see all the action.

It would be awesome to do that one again, but it's really all up to Mother Nature to make this possible.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it's not short boarding, Vineyard Haven Yacht Club hosts huge Techno and Kona ONE events every year. Next summer will be the Kona ONE North American Championship one month after the 2013 World Championship at Three Rivers, Quebec, CAN

We at Kona ONE (I'm new member of the Kona Windsurfing Class Assoc. world council and its measurer) love the class because it is easy to sail, easy to race and stupidly easy to have fun. All Kona ONE official events are family oriented which makes a big difference for those of us with family members less inclined to join us on the water.

What's super-cool about Kona racing is that you need only get to the event with your harness and any special lines you wish to add. Every big event in the USA provides a mostly charter board experience, so no need to purchase a Kona before the event, but you might consider buying after because the same gear you sailed can be purchased at a major-league discount from MSRP. That's how we're building the Kona class, and how I got involved in the first place about 6 years ago. Fly, arrive and race. Very special.

feuser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Though it's not short boarding, Vineyard Haven Yacht Club hosts huge Techno and Kona ONE events every year. Next summer will be the Kona ONE North American Championship one month after the 2013 World Championship at Three Rivers, Quebec, CAN

We at Kona ONE (I'm new member of the Kona Windsurfing Class Assoc. world council and its measurer) love the class because it is easy to sail, easy to race and stupidly easy to have fun. All Kona ONE official events are family oriented which makes a big difference for those of us with family members less inclined to join us on the water.

What's super-cool about Kona racing is that you need only get to the event with your harness and any special lines you wish to add. Every big event in the USA provides a mostly charter board experience, so no need to purchase a Kona before the event, but you might consider buying after because the same gear you sailed can be purchased at a major-league discount from MSRP. That's how we're building the Kona class, and how I got involved in the first place about 6 years ago. Fly, arrive and race. Very special.

Oh my God, Dan - has John Ingebritsen poured something into your drink?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I kinda fell into it out of enthusiasm for racing something other than FW gear and without the ability to justify a brand new Raceboard. I signed up for the first Kona event in the US and found the board easy to sail yet somewhat challenging to race well since it refuses to behave like a Raceboard or even a Prodigy. The strict no-pumping rule is probably the most challenging thing , not physically but mentally as I'm now forced to figure out how to accelerate and get VMG without a lot of power from the board.

I hear Ingbritsen can make a mean cup of joe, but his potent brew hasn't touched my precious lips! This Kona love is all me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: