myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best sails for nolimitz original rdm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that the issue of Fiberspar's SDM Tidal Wave has come into the discussion, at least relative to David Ezzy's choice for a standard. It was in the late 90s that I started using Fiberspars SDMs (100% carbon 460 Race, 75% 430 Reflex Wave, and 30% 370 and 400 Tidal Waves) in my Windwing sails, and I was very pleased with their performance across the board.

However, when I bought a 2004 Windwing 6.3 Hammer, the 430 Fiberspar was a total "no go". Everything was terribly wrong with the mast below the boom, and the sail wouldn't rotate because of the bottom two battens. That's when I bought my 430 Gulftech 100 carbon RDM. It worked perfectly, and it worked great with my 2003 5.75 Windwing Catalyst Wave, which ironically worked great with the Fiberspar too.

So, what was the story? I ultimately concluded that it was Bill Hansen's change in the luff curve of the sail. The introduction of a more accentuated luff curve was popular across many different sail brands at that time, and it still is today, but some designers are going back to a straighter luff. A straighter luff curve certainly makes for much easier rigging, and it usually requires less downhaul pressure. Additionally, at least according to my experience, a straighter luff curve makes for a less problematic mast fit. Of course, luff curve is only one feature in a sail's design, but I think that it's the primary determiner concerning whether more standard CC masts are compatible. Just for clarification, I view "more standard CC masts" as those manufactured by mast manufacturers like Powerex, No Limitz, Gulftech and Fiberspar as opposed to specific sail brand mast designs.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

from your entries you have a lot of knowledge in this area, but I don't see an answer to the original question[/quote]

Well U2:

Most of my knowledge comes from a lot of failure (buy then have to sell), and of course, OCD. In 2008, I could not even buy a Severne Redline from Trident. They were a PWX distributor and were pushing the wrong masts. This led to a lot research and grief. Fortunately this has changed. The Severne Redline RDM 400 I have is prefect for my S1s. I love it.

Dave's original question? The NL original is an excellent RDM mast. It will work well in most sails, as U2 mentioned, and I would have Dave look at the unifiber chart U2 posted-- the CC range. Ideally, I would try the sail of choice out with the recommended mast as well as my NL. If there was little to no difference, bingo.

KevinDo's question? I have only the first hand experience I provided. Severne Gators that call for 370 RDM, I bet will be very good with the Ezzy 370 RDM. 400 RDM up, not so good. Gator greater than 6.5 is SDM. NCX are all built for SDM in all sizes. Again, I did not have any luck with a 460 Ezzy RDM in a 2006 Severne Gator 7.5 designed for a 460 SDM. I think you just have to try it, but my guess is not so great.
Windsurf83

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy moly, must be no wind out there because everyone is on the forum!!

Just got back from Maui and had some great wind, decent waves.

At Nolimitz we are always open to help on mast combos to get the most ideal fit for a specific sail bend.

Just nailed the perfect Gaastra bend:

I bent a 100% carbon Gaastra this summer and this is what I got:
68.14 / 74.29
IMCS - 19.67

With the 370 Original Bottom / 430 Sumo top we are right on the money:
68.8 / 74
IMCS - 19.24

always willing to help, cheers

Ryan
ryank@nolimitz.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 to 6 mast bend curve

not sure they have a name for that

5.8 for a Gaastra on the Peterman site for a 400 , would confirm your findings.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NolimitzWind wrote:
Just got back from Maui and had some great wind, decent waves.

If you scored ONE really good day of fairly steady wind between Labor Day and now, you were in the right place. Calmest Gorge fall since Jim Drake was born, I'd guess.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the easterlies are here today!!

KMF
nodak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: best sails for nolimitz original rdm Reply with quote

dgcwind wrote:
i recently bought 2 nolimitz rdm masts because i got a great deal.

Where did you get a good deal? From a private party?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One source is Northwave in Hood River. Their sail quiver deals, peaking right now, include comparable discounts on all their US-made rig components. Another source is swap meets; I have no reservations about buying good used Nolimitz RDMs for non-surf use. I have paid as little as $35 for used or $160 for new ones from dealers at swaps.

Mike \m/
nodak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Northwave sails: Their 6.2 ZX sail calls for a 460 mast. Other comparable sail makers, e.g. Ezzy Tiger 6.3, Sailworks Revolution 6.2 all call for 430 mast. 430 is lighter than 460, so the whole rig is lighter and less cumbersome in the waves too.

Is there any sense in taking a rig with a 460 mast into any kind of wavy conditions?

I'm talking about this guy in 6.2:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: