myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best boards for light wind + small waves?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: best boards for light wind + small waves? Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm looking for a good board for windsurfing in light wind (5-15 MPH) and small waves (1-3'). I'm in Santa Barbara, CA and weight 160 lbs.
I already have a 9'6" SUP board for when there is no wind, and if it's windy I'm all set with windsurf wave gear. My gap is when it is a bit too windy for SUP, but not enough to get planing on my shortboard.

Exocet Curve 11'6", 10'6", or 9'6" looks like a possibility, also

AHD Sealion Classic or Sealion 8'3" - looks interesting, but this is quite different than Exocet

Any others I should consider?
Any advice based on real-world experience would be helpful.

thanks,
BobG
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windSUP 11'8" is the best board for me when the wind is well below 10 mph. the 11'5" curve is a bit more technical to catch waves by compare. the smaller curves need a bit more wind each time you go down in size. the 9'5" is a mystery to me, unless one weighs below 100 lbs????

11'8" windSUP is stupid easy

11'5" curve is easy, but needs a long board non planing jibe, has toi be put into a more ideal point on the waves to get a ride.

10'5" is good, but needs a long board non planing jibe, and about 5 knots more wind.

10'x32" windSUP is as about as technical to catch waves as the 11'5", but turns less technically as the curves.

i have tried and not liked the sea lion at juno beach, fl. it requires side off winds in a very narrow wind range, and a mushy not steep wave for me to enjoy it. another words a very specific set of conditions that i cannot appreciate as much as someone in a place like either maui or hatteras. in too much wind or wave, it becomes very squirrely witout changing the sail sizes rapidly to adjust to each few mph changes in wind.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the 11 5, by far the most used board ive got.. if there is any sign of waves, and too windy for sup, im on it, and, it can still be fun once the wind picks up. yesterday i was sailing 100l board, with 5.7,when wind started to get a bit holey, put the sail on the kona, and got some really nice longboard wave sailing in..small waves, waist to chest, and still easy to sail when fully powered on the 5.7. but most typically, im using a 7.2m on it.
im about 205lbs though, so maybe the 10 5 would be better for you...?

not sure what jingebritsen means by a non-planing longboard jibe though?
defo does not jibe like my megacat/equipe at all.. it jibes very easy/smooth by comparison.

windward1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bobgatpdx1,

At 160 # any of the above mentioned boards would work for you.

I have not had a chance to try the Exocets, but the videos and pics in this forum show that they can be real fun.

I have the Sea Lion and if you want a board that turns on a dime and acts as a short board, which at 7'-6", it does, it can be a lot of fun. At 190 # +, I am a little large for it.

One other board that I have and have been having fun with, albeit newly, as I just recently acquired it, is an Angulo 10'-10". It paddles well as well as sails well.

Both the Sea Lion and the Angulo do not have footstraps.

Windward1
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 10.5 size Kona (which is now the Exocet Curve) and I'm at 160 lbs. This size is perfect for me in 10-15 knot side on-shore winds. I use it with a 6.7 HS Superfreak rigged really full to help early planing which I can usually do when the gusts are hitting 15 knots. Can't say enough good about these boards and how fun they are. Also, the 10.5 is still really fun and managable when the wind starts averaging in the upper teens and they carve turns on the wave face or jibes really well - both wide and suprisingly tight arcs. In subplaning conditions, the board glides comfortably upwind. You do have to do the old school longboard style jibe (or tack) in subplaning winds - but you can easily step on the tail to swing the board around pretty quickly to jibe onto an approaching wave.

Rob
eghoffman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta look at the Starboards, too. I have an 8'10" WidePoint that's great in light winds & waves with a 5.8 SuperFreak, but they have lots of other models with mast inserts. It never really planes, but it doesn't really need to. Go talk to WarDog over at Surfing Sports - he's in Santa Barbara and was one of the first guys to start designing SUPs around sailing. I haven't sailed the Exocets, but I've tried the RRD and the SeaLion. I liked the 8'5" Wassup sailing but not as much surfing. The SeaLion kept on pearling on me when I was underpowered, dropping into waves, so it wasn't really to my liking, but it seems like people rip on them. I've seen a couple Fanatics that look nice, too.
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming your 9'6" SUP doesn't have a mast base insert, why not add one or trade it for a SUP that does. no need to carry a third board.
Some SUPs have too much rocker for flatwater planing, but still work great for sailing in small waves.
You should be able to put your largest wave sail on your SUP for non-planing conditions, then switch to your short board (with straps) once you are consistently powered (without having to re-rig).

Last edited by hilton08 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great replies - very helpful.

I'll talk to Wardog at Surfing Sports. I've bought a couple SUPs from him already. I'm a bit learly of SUPs that claim to be sailable, seems like you could end up with a bad compromise. What I'm really looking for is a windsurf board for non-planing conditions that will let me catch small waves. Sounds like the 11'5 Curve or the 10' windSUP would fit this bill pretty well.

Unfortunately, my 9'6" Wardog Stoke SUP doesn't have a mast insert - it probably has too much rocker as well.

You guys have given me a lot of food for thought - and the inspiration to fill this gap in my sailing/SUP quiver.

thanks!
BobG
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11'5" when not planing, has to have outboard rail pressure to jibe. this can be done with only tilting the CE of the sail, but it and all other boards snap around in a pivot when one applies outside rail pressure. it is most obvious when one falls off a plane when carving a planing jibe. a continued inside rail pressure will make the 11'5 balk and go straight down wind. an easy thing to overcome when one expects this. my best defense in marginal planing conditions, duck jibe allows one to maintain more speed throughout.

having a planing hull available in your lightest wind board helps tons here in florida and other spots that have sudden wind changes more common than trade wind places. quite often, i'll get an hour or 2 of planing winds with a long board sesh that may last as long as my carcass will allow, 4 hours or more. the planing aspect adds boatloads more fun with no hassle of switching gear, or getting stuck in a tricky spot with smaller/more specific stuff. that's how i honed backside aerials, from sailing my 11'5 in surprise squalls.

hats off to those that are finding their own way of getting the most out of wave sailing. i still haven't had an inclination to paddle, nor kite.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a WindSUP 10 largely due to posts like this one. It buckled the second time I took it out in small waves. Others are having problems with WindSUPs, too. Anyone thinking about buying one should read the company owner's response to warranty claims on this thread first.

It appears that while Exocet is promoting the WindSUP for use in waves, "a even small jump" can create "some stress on the board" that can cause major damage. Patrice, the owner of Exocet, suggests that such damage "can be easily repaired in any shop". Does not seem to be so easy for buckles - I have been waiting for almost a month to get my board back (estimated repair cost: $280).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: