myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Windsurfing Speed World Record Set in Luderitz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next they'll have separate categories for left- vs right-handed sailors, BFF vs FFF sailors, board shorts on top vs board shorts underneath, helmets vs no helmets, liberals vs conservatives ... what's the speed record for left-handed oriental gay BFFer libertarian Tilley-hatted Muslim oenophiles on starboard?

Just picking the right sail and board when it's blowing 21 gusting to 41 is tough enough for me. Does anybody really need MORE complications in this sport or their lives?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some official speed record association said kites aren't sail craft, yes.
Possibly that weird spray is caused by Antoine's shift of direction towards upwind, to find a better route thru the incoming gust.
All speed trials runs are constant changes of directions AND shifts in sail sheeting angles, and weight shifts. The moment in time this pic was taken, Antoine just happens to be climbing slightly higher to get a different angle to bear off.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the pic again.
Looks like Antoine's windward rail is down, meaning he's heading upwind slightly more than he was.
Also, his sail is sheeted in too far for max speed on a low broad reach, so his direction at this moment in time is NOT going for speed, but going for better position in order to maximise the gust he's running into.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really matter? Kites are fast on the water, currently they
are faster than sailboards, if you categorize them differently, that doesn't
make them any less fast.

In the Gorge, I'm always faster than the kites in a drag race, and I'm not
that fast, but I carry no illusions about windsurfing versus kiting in general.

-Craig

Ugly_Bird wrote:
rigitrite wrote:
Yet don't kiters still hold the record for ALL sail powered craft at like....55+ knots?

Is kite a sail? Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
In the Gorge, I'm always faster than the kites in a drag race

Recreational kites/kiters -- even the ones who are at ease 40 feet over my head when I'm hammered on a 3.2 -- are just plain slow compared to recreational windsurfers anywhere a beam reach. They're just obstacles, easy to cruise past on a waveboard with a slotted wave fin. There's just no comparison until you get to serious kite racers on a point of sail favorable to them. In ordinary hands, they're about altitude, hang time, and dragging one bored arm behind them.

Observation X 1,000, not criticism.
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the 50 KNOT barrier has been broken!!

News from the Luderitz Speed Challenge:

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  382.19 KB
 Viewed:  11021 Time(s)

1.png

KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnnn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hF9flM1zfs
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing! finally!
I'm truly amazed by the lack of helmet, at these speed in a shallow and narrow tranch in the middle of nowhere, Namibia Shocked
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
I'm truly amazed by the lack of helmet

Maybe.. but A2 displays more control at 50 knots than your average windsurfer at 20 knots. In slalom races, he reaches speeds in the high 30s, with many more "obstacles" around to hit and no helmet. Also, helmets increase the swing weight of your head in catapults and can make crashes worse - that is, if you don't hit your equipment.

Helmets can be life savers when you hit your gear in an uncontrolled crash (or a triple loop attempt). I'll certainly wear a helmet if the wind is that strong. But if A2 would crash in the middle of the speed strip there, his gear would probably stop dead, and he'd keep going, skipping a few times along the surface before finally going down Smile.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
NickB wrote:
I'm truly amazed by the lack of helmet

Maybe.. but A2 displays more control at 50 knots than your average windsurfer at 20 knots. In slalom races, he reaches speeds in the high 30s, with many more "obstacles" around to hit and no helmet. Also, helmets increase the swing weight of your head in catapults and can make crashes worse - that is, if you don't hit your equipment.

Helmets can be life savers when you hit your gear in an uncontrolled crash (or a triple loop attempt). I'll certainly wear a helmet if the wind is that strong. But if A2 would crash in the middle of the speed strip there, his gear would probably stop dead, and he'd keep going, skipping a few times along the surface before finally going down Smile.

Ill always wear a helmet when I go over 20:D I'd rather have the helmet absorb some of the boom than the skull absorbing all of it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: