myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 393, 394, 395 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwilde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerritt
All these years and you have never riden Cowells on a southerly?

RW
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwilde wrote:
All these years and you have never riden Cowells on a southerly?

Nope. The stairs at indicators rarely show sand. Launching with a windsurfing rig sounds sketchy. Getting back in up the stairs seems impossible. Is there any way to launch/land from the sand down by the Dream Inn?
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Yes you can do it but you have to work your way upwind. Reply with quote

Yes you can do it but you have to work your way upwind.
And the closer you get to the cliffs the less wind there is .
Basically the wind is dead onshore, at the beach it kind of funnels
between the wharf and the cliffs.
The Indicator stairs near the statue is what the locals use, mostly.
Also the Wind is better at Indicators an upper Cowells .
Yesterday about 5 there was a small strip of land showing at the Indicator
stairs I think the tide was about -.5
One gut walked up the stairs with the board and rig over his head the other deg-rigged at the bottom and walked up with the his stuff on the board.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: New Brighton & Bombora Reply with quote

Sailed Bombora and a few breaks under the cliffs of Capitola today. Launched at New Brighton Beach. Angulo 10' 10" and Ezzy Cheetah 7.0. Only four knots of wind to start, but good enough to catch the swell. Had to pump sometimes. Bombora worked, and got some rides on the near shore breaks a few times as well.

Tide was minus about a foot and a quarter. All kinds of little breaks start popping up when that happens.

After an hour the wind was dying. Sailed as long as I could and then ghosted back towards New Brighton on glassy water. Made it most of the way, with some of it paddling the air with the sail. Then beached and carried the kit on top of my head the rest of the way.

It was fun and I was out in a shortie. One that I cannot zip up the back on due to zipper issues. Plenty warm and nice to get on the water and out there before the cold hits tonight.

Looks like Natural Bridges would have worked well as it had a lot more wind. But I was happy with my light session.

Windward1
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool!
Man, you should have been around back in the '80's when we were discovering new windsurfing spots every couple of weeks. You'd have the record for the most spots nobody else has sailed.
A few in your area I've sailed.... SteamerLane 2nd reef, launch at It's, 3rd reef just cresting, but not breaking.
SwiftSt. is no biggie, as Haut sailed there. NB's also.
4 mile, launching right in front of the fast breaking left in front of nudie beach.
We sailed Wads, Davs and Scotts back in the mid '80's.
Just N of Ano, that cattlegate you walk thru, then walk to the lonely pine tree and launch. Gazo's was regularly sailed, but the cut downiwind of PigeonPt., you sail out in a channel thru non breaking swells that line up all the way outside past the Lighthouse.
That fast left, maybe Ken'sBreak (for Bergerson) just N of the PidgeonLighthouse, on WNW. I never sailed the right N of that, but saw 3 windsurfers out and picking off right reef waves.
Pesca, Pomp, and SanGregorio...too much rip for me on S winds.
But YOU take the cake, still exploring new spots in this day and age.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Exploring Reply with quote

Hi Lee D,

Well I have been impressed with all the places you have sailed and also impressed with your vivid recollection of each.

The recollection that you have of the local Santa Cruz coast that inspires me as to how they did it, is the guys sailing from Natural Bridges to Ano Nuevo, landing and sailing back to 'Bridges again.

I have gotten as far as Three Mile and turned around there, without landing.

I would to keep on trying to go further and further overtime and see if I ever get the conditions right to make it at least to Davenport and back.

Not sure I would ever make it to Ano Nuevo.

Windward1
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple odd decades ago, TrevorBayliss and JimJohnstone used to sail from NaturalBridges up to Waddell, and back, mostly on their course long boards, but by the early '90's, on their course slalom 9' boards. They always complained about the inside kelp beds, and often sailed outside, like 1-4 miles offshore.
When I got my Wad sail help, Trevor asked me to go a few times, but by then, I skipped coastal sailing for warm, girl friendly bay sailing.
I've also windsurfed MarinaStateBeach, Asilomar, and SpanishBay in planing conditions. Even had one day at CarmelValleyStateBeach in S.Carmel, sailing right over to MonasteryBeach and it's huge shorepound and back.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Point Lobos & Carmel Reply with quote

Hi Lee D,

I have wanted to sail Point Lobos and Carmel area, but never seem to have any boards with me when the wind is right. I have seen some days with a south wind where it looked like it would be fun to sail out to the point, around it to near China Beach and then go back again. There are some gnarly narrow coves with caves and such near China Beach that I might explore on my SUP.

Windward1
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't sailed anywhere S of CarmelValleyStateBeach.
But, my brother and I did a mapping out of PacificGrove oceanside beaches, and on a S wind, you can surfsail the small closeout shorebreak beaches N of Asilomar pretty easily. Like around 1964.
prevett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I have wanted to sail Point Lobos and Carmel area

I sailed the main Carmel Beach a few years back on an 89L / 5.2m2 in a winter pre-storm south wind. Made east/west reaches, going about as far as Ghost Tree / Pescadero Point and back.

The kelp bed off the Carmel main beach is brutal, and the wind shadow is pretty severe for the first 100ft off the beach. Other than that, it was fun.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 393, 394, 395 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 394 of 427

Jump to: