myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WS Life expectancy,,, hea why not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: WS Life expectancy,,, hea why not? Reply with quote

I've been reading all these articles about life expectancy, and how you can spend very little time getting minimal excersize, and how it can add days to your life span. Some of the stuff that I've read says as little as 2 hours per week of just walking, will add a day to your life.
Somebody here has a sig that says something about 'a day spent windsurfing doesn't take a day off of your life span', paraphrased, but I would like to expand on that.
So after reading all this stuff (I'm 62, so give me a break) I've come up with a forumla that I think could be very close to being actual. So here it is.
I've come up with the conclusion/theory that everyday that you can get in a session of windsurfing, even if it's as short as 45 minutes, and you are over 60 years old, it will add one day to your life expectancy.
Somebody prove me wrong.
Until then, this is what I will believe, and I'm sticking with it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see no reason to attempt to" prove" you wrong.

In a controlled environment without outside influence your theory will stand the test of time.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added to days in the last two days, and I intend to add another one today, the ocean had been good lately.
4.2 yesterday at Arroyo Laguna.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only lifestyle factor I'm aware of proven to extend our life span is the Mediterranean diet. The latest research shows that exercise adds only quality, not length, to our lives. That may not sound like much, but compare these two scenarios and pick the winner:

Average Guy abandons exercise (hard play, hard physical labor, or serious working out) in his early 20s and lives on meat'n'potatoes, sliding down a steep hill mentally and physically from 30 forward. He's a lean slug by 40, a fat old man by 50, and subsists the next THIRTY YEARS unable to shovel three inches of powder snow off his driveway without puking. Just getting up from the couch to walk to the dinner table has him grunting like a Russian Olympian clean'n'jerking 560 pounds.

Exercise Guy damned near stops aging at 30 and at 70 can clear his driveway of a foot of wet snow, throwing it 15 feet out of the way like an NFL linebacker wading through high school blockers to get at the ball carrier, all to the pace of Skrillex/Bangarang at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVmu6yttiw , on his way to the gym for 30 minutes of nonstop anaerobic circuit training to warm up for an afternoon on a 4.2 and a wave board. By 80 he may be shoveling to Frank Sinatra, might occasionally let his pulse drop below 140 during his circuit training, and might use a bigger board that afternoon.

Both may die at 80, but Average Guy spent his last 30 years feeling 50 to 80 while Exercise Guy spent his last 50 years feeling better than Average Guy did at 30.

AND THE WINNER IS ...

Hint: Who'd even WANT to live to 80 like Average Guy? Many would argue that it's the area under our lifelong QOL curve, not its ultimate length, that defines the victor. I've already had to make that choice, and I chose the former option with no second thoughts ... yet.

Re walking: a cancer patient bud claims walking added 15 years to his survival, yet when I inquire how fast he walks, he gets all huffy and says it doesn't matter, that the walking advice just says "walk". No; it ALWAYS says, "walk briskly", generally defined as at least 4 mph ... my normal strolling pace. He waddles along at 2 mph. Far more important than exercise time is its intensity, which is just one of many advantages I see in the exercise approaches I've chosen.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you need a dog, a slightly aggro but non-violent dog, the kind of dog that pulls you along while you are taking it for a walk. I've got one of those type of dogs, the little shit, okay he's not a shit, well, he kinda is, but between walking the dog and WSing, I've got it covered.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular exercise will reduce the likelihood of a large number of diseases, so it's inconceivable that it does not also extend life span. So I agree with nw30 that the time spend windsurfing gets added to your life span, with a significant multiplier. But I also agree with isobars that the a higher quality of life factor is more important benefit. That includes the exercise itself, of course.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Regular exercise will reduce the likelihood of a large number of diseases, so it's inconceivable that it does not also extend life span. So I agree with nw30 that the time spend windsurfing gets added to your life span, with a significant multiplier. But I also agree with isobars that the a higher quality of life factor is more important benefit. That includes the exercise itself, of course.

HA! I'm glad you folks like the lil' tag line!

TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Here in Tarpon Srings,Fl and at 64 I'm one of the younger windsurfers. Two or three regulars are in the mid to late 80's. Also many Canadians in the 70's. I'm hoping to sail for many more years. Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: