myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
shipping to Canada
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: shipping to Canada Reply with quote

hey, so just wondering, why so often people are reluctant to ship used equipment over the border?
again today, i wanted to bid on something on ebay, and again the seller refuses to ship out of the USA.. is there some problem with shipping across the border that im not aware of?

tweeky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are customs forms that have to be filled out, and depending on how its being shipped, extra fees involved, so basically it can just be a hassle that the seller isn't wiling to go through to get the item sold.

Be careful though... way back I bought a used windsurfer from the US while I was living in Canada, and the customs guys charged me so much, it essentially doubled the cost of the board. I seriously considered just leaving it at customs, the duty was so high. Smaller items are ok... there are no duties on anything under $20.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya,i think the customs agent was mistaken then,
i imported a new board a couple of years ago, the duty was about 7 or 8% i think..
i pay extra the extra fees on my end.
and this year ive bought 5 new sails from Northwave, no duty as they are made in the states., but yes nafta forms had to be filled as they were new, and manufactured in the states.
so does the nafta forms have to filled even on used stuff too.. and should be duty free anyway.
besides, not much on the nafta form from what ive seen.

tweeky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the current hoop jumping is for used stuff. My board customs issue was quite a long time ago, so maybe things have changed. I recently sent up a box of running shoes (8 pairs) for a friend of mine in Canada, and the paper work was fairly extensive. Businesses probably have a much better system than an individual, at least that's my guess. We used to make trips to the Gorge and load up on gear. Never had a problem at the border, even bringing new boards across.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: shipping to Canada Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
hey, so just wondering, why so often people are reluctant to ship used equipment over the border?
again today, i wanted to bid on something on ebay, and again the seller refuses to ship out of the USA.. is there some problem with shipping across the border that im not aware of?

EBay I ship a lot international, I need to be really careful with shipping estimates, so I don't end up paying for shipping.

FEDEX , I can do to Canada, but its more complicated than USMail which has size restrictions, as well its way more costly to protect yourself, as you need to assure delivery, cause Paypal don't care if you shipped it, they care that it was received.

bottom line for me is it depends on WHAT it is, or more to the point HOW big it is

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their was someone in Miami who would not ship to even a US address, they posted on EBay local pickup only, this for something as easy to ship as a mast base.

so go figure, their is no one answer here

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ship it to Niagara Falls USA, and go pick it up.
Pay duties at the border.
Much cheaper shipping since within US
http://cbiusa.com/
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some info from someone who ships from the states...

''I would recommend shipping it via Priority Mail to reduce the potential for significant GST / Customs fees. In all cases where a buyer has requested shipment via UPS Ground, the buyer is required to pay a noticeable GST / Customs fee upon delivery. This issue is less prevalent with USPS First Class and Priority shipments.''
''The shipping rate for that sail to postal code via Priority Mail is $51.30 and $41.17 via UPS Ground. However, as note above, the GST / Customs fees on the UPS shipment may easily go above the shipping rate difference.''

but he never mentioned any problem with any paperwork on his end at all..
anyway, waiting to have a new used sail shipped up via usps, so i will see about the gst/duty.

btw, anyone can act as their own broker to save on brokerage fees.

w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fathomfathom wrote:
ship it to Niagara Falls USA, and go pick it up.
Pay duties at the border.
Much cheaper shipping since within US
http://cbiusa.com/

hey, thats a great idea too..
unfortunately i think it might cost more for me to drive my old truck that far than to just get it delivered... but if youre closer defo makes sense.
but maybe for larger packages might be worthwhile..

rich1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that with a pinball machine, picked it up in Buffalo and brought it home. Worked out well.

I'll second the NO UPS rule. They fleece you on brokerage. USPS is my preferred from the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: