myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
So, what's the latest you've ever sailed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve...remember that day in Tomales two Decembers ago? 40 degrees, blowing 35-50. I took one run out, came back , and packed it up.
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That counts!
jse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Hey Steve...remember that day in Tomales two Decembers ago? 40 degrees, blowing 35-50. I took one run out, came back , and packed it up.

Yes, here's my (brief) log entry:

"Stopped at Marconi where I saw Boggs rigging. It was way too windy to sail even there, so Grassy was out of the question. I sailed out and back a few times and was spent."

Since I was alive to log it, it got logged. And it counts. Heck, I made the effort didn't I?

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That counts in my book. My only eye-rolling about "Randy's" claim was his deliberately stepping onto his board, putzing out 100 feet and back expressly for bragging rights, then packing it up and going home for another month. IMO, that's no more valid than just watching the ball game and sayin' you went windsurfing in February in the Gorge. I suspect folks who actually DO windsurf Rooster Rock in a blizzard would scoff -- justifiably -- at either ploy. An earnest attempt trumps faking it every time.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That counts in my book. My only eye-rolling about "Randy's" claim was his deliberately stepping onto his board, putzing out 100 feet and back expressly for bragging rights, then packing it up and going home for another month. IMO, that's no more valid than just watching the ball game and sayin' you went windsurfing in February in the Gorge. I suspect folks who actually DO windsurf Rooster Rock in a blizzard would scoff -- justifiably -- at either ploy. An earnest attempt trumps faking it every time.

Yeah, there were a few days I went out just for the sake of being able to say I went. Days where it's gusting to the high 40's, low 50's and you look at the water and decide to go just for the bragging rights. Don't have much fun, probably don't sail very long. Best take-away from those sessions is confidence. And I've had just as many of those during the normal sailing season than during winter storms.

I'm a strong believer in the 100 degree rule: Water temp + air temp must add up to 100 or more. Below that I very seldom go out.

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
there were a few days I went out just for the sake of being able to say I went. Days where it's gusting to the high 40's, low 50's and you look at the water and decide to go just for the bragging rights. Don't have much fun, probably don't sail very long. Best take-away from those sessions is confidence.

Don't sell yourself short; That's a valuable benefit, and it qualifies as windsurfing in my book ... er ... log. What seems lame to me is when the only reason someone dips a toe in and goes home is to deliberately deceive the audience (or himself). Admitting it's too freaking cold or hot or windy or calm or inconvenient or rainy or gusty is much more respectable than fudging just so one can claim to have WSed every month for x years. That's like whiffing a golf ball altogether, looking around to make sure no one saw it, then not counting the stroke.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping your chops up is a responsible thing to do in order to extend you gear, fun, life, etc... Lots of things are unpleasant in windsurfing, but we do them anyway because there will come a time when we have to do it again, under duress. I do these quite often:

- sailing over your skill level
- sailing longer than you are used to
- sailing in inclement weather
- uphauling
- tacking
- sailing fin first (gets you closer to shore when the tide goes out)
- slogging a long time
- swimming with your rig

I wish it were easier to do, but these would also be good skills to practice:

- sailing with a broken mast
- sailing with a broken fin
- sailing towing a load (disabled sailor)
- sailing a long way without a harness (broken harness line)
- sailing in the dark
- sailing injured

Steve
EBaySwell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: latest sesh Reply with quote

last year, December 15th, Ashby beach, blasting N wind.
D-wo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: Today. I was so late that I was early.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've "sailed" in Iowa with a windsurfing rig every month since March 1994. I do count the sessions when I'm on snow or ice with my rig attached to a modified toboggan. I also count the sessions when my rig is attached to a large skateboard or a mountain board and I'm sailing in a big parking lot.

My justification for counting the hard surface sessions: The twitchy steering on the toboggan helped me improve my high wind sailing on water, the skateboard & mountain board parking lot jibing has greatly improved my on water jibing, and my sailing handling skills never get rusty.

I've sailed on soft water on a lake in Iowa in each month of the year, but in most years the lakes are frozen all of January & February.

The parking lot sailing has some publicity benefits because it is easy to stop and talk with interested onlookers. This year I started handing out business cards with a windsurfing image and my email address.

When I'm on a hard surface I wear a motorcycle helmet plus elbow & knee pads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: