myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Replacing Old Bare Polardry With New O'Neill Assault Drysuit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ilpescatore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I picked up an O'Neill Assault this spring when my Bare Polar Dry seals went bad. The O'Neill suit is good but it is not as warm as the Bare. I used it the day before Sandy at Duxbury and I was toasty. Its only 3mil in the legs compared to the 5mil of the Bare. It also doesn't have the neoprene tanktop like the Bare. Its a great suit though, and I went from it right to a shorty once the water warmed up a bit this spring.

You can also send your suit back to Bare and they will repair it. I had them replace all the seals and stitch up where the ankle seams were ripped. It cost around $130 or so to get it repaired. Some folks had told me that Bare would make a new Polar Dry for me, but when I spoke with them, they said they didn't have the materials anymore.

I hope this helps......Fish
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the Bare with the Assault after the Bare suit was stolen from my car.

It is a much better suit, warmer, more stretchy neoprene that doesn't have to be as thick as that of the Bare. Much better mobility and ease of entry. Much more comfortable and durable neoprene seals. The x-thermo fleece (not included) is definitely a must have.

While the Bare is probably a little warmer still, and is probably drier due to the latex seals (which I hated), the ONeill does fine down to the mid to low 30s (40 water), when the issue really comes down to gloves/hands.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Frank4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really like the Bare, send it back to them for repair. They do a great job and you will get two more seasons out of it. I have heard from a few people that have had both suits the Assault is NOT as warm.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Assault sent to my home, and when I saw how thin its legs were I sent it back without even trying it on. There's no point in paying for dry suit "dryness" technology when the insulation is too thin for the task and you don't plan to wear insulation under it. Whether it's neoprene or Goretex, I just don't like tight legs in cold water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: