myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
It's that time of year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: It's that time of year. Reply with quote

Here we go again! Cold setting in, (another severe winter for us, the fourth in a row?), a sprinkling of snow on the moors, and the fair weather windsurfers disappearing faster than my few remaining good teeth, I feel like I've been here once too often!

Few days ago, strongish but very gusty offshore squally shower blow, lumpy uninviting sea, and low tide extensive beach to have to plod down, and only two others down, but just sitting in van talking. Spoke to them on arrival (friends) and tried to whip up a little enthusiasm for getting out there, only to be met with the expected hollow laughter, and what enthusiasm type of comments.

Left them to it, and changed and rigged a 5.3 right away. With a selection of mid range boards to choose from, I'd brought the Fanatic Cross 99. Using different boards always adds that extra bit of interest. They are all much of a muchness speed wise (27/29 m.p.h. ish) but feel and gybe differently. Was taken a bit by surprise by how quickly the Fanatic banked on going full tilt into a carve, and accidentally pulled off a near perfect gybe. Marvelled yet again at how addictive windsurfing is when you get it just right. (A pair of oldies, but a pair of goodies! Laughing Laughing )

Problem was, the beach vibe was missing. Whereas once there would have been 30 or more getting to grips with the onset of winter conditions, and cold water fun, I was the only one left. The other two were still just sitting in the van, talking.

Stopped and thought after only half an hour, and felt there wasn't any fun left, especially since a rain squall had just hit. Packed it in, and trudged back up deserted beach to car park. Made a point of derigging and changing without looking at the other pair in the van, just to check their reaction. ZILCH! The windows were steamed up from all tyhgeir hot air, and I doubt they even saw me. Drove off, shopped in town, drove back past car park an hour later, and STILL, they sat there talking in the van!

Thought about things at home and decided for the first time since 1972 (all year round in sea, surfing, kayaking, windsurfing since 81) to take a couple of months break from the sea, and concentrate on biking. I feel it will recharge the batteries, and counter the steady drip drip drip of negative waves from others.

The sea CAN'T be given up, but for those of us who have to make do with somewhat less than perfect conditions most of the time, willpower can sometimes become a little depleted!
winfreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who solos the vast majority of the time, I'm really not missing the beach vibe much right now. In fact, I'm am actively seeking to be alone right now to perfect a new way of windsurfing. I just wish it would blow more!
Very Happy
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you don't have anyone to hold your hand, it makes me sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
This may help with your problem its worth the time to watch, I have found it to be very helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXri8ZCKjc
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camaraderie is an important part of our human experience on the planet.
windsurfing may seem a solitary sport, butt it is NOT
we check others on the water and what people rigged and are rigging
we make signs as we pass one another
we chat and some have beers together
sounds like fun to me
the other solitary side means you are there only for the sailing
this can be fun too, butt conditions are not always ideal
my last session in the cold had more kiters than windsurfers
when i left one kiter asked," You're not leaving already ?"
my feet were a little cold and i had family obligations ...
just to say we can share the camaraderie with anyone on the water
i chat with photographers, boaters, kayakers, etc
for me , it is all part of the FUN and makes the the experience WHOLE and COMPLETE

(when i solo i carry a cell phone in a water proof bag - just in case ...)
btw my fins are made of metal and as sharp as a knife
hope that's hard enuff 4 our mate in the vid Smile
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, if i waited to have someone to sail with all the time, id never sail..
but it is nice when theres a few others out, one day this year there was about 30-40 guys out at one spot i was at..and that was cool, and i was stoked to to see it, but generally its solo sessions...or shared with the kiteboys.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've nailed it Joe-the-windsurfer.

As with many, 90% of my windsurfing is solitary, especially the long board cruising, and it's preferable that way. But shortboarding, surfing, and slalom is different. A group of friends push each other even if not seeming to be together, and we learn faster, as well as having enthusiasm boosted just by knowing others are also having a blast. THAT is what is steadily dwindling away in many locations, as numbers fall below a critical mass.

I've said before how on flat water windy offshore days a group of 30 or more of us on fast slaloms used to blast in close formation a couple of miles along the coast (to a jetty and lighthouse) and back. The rivalry made it exciting. Nobody wanted to be trailing behind.

Mind you, it caused a bit of aggro when a few of us decided to go head on at the group from the opposite direction, at a closing speed of something like 50+ m.p.h. Happy days - we do miss that! Razz

Yes, being alone can be fine, but so can playing silly buggars with a good group of friends. Laughing
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding the two guys in the van on a near empty beach for hours with steamed up windows-I think you need to recalibrate your "gaydar"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: