myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Old Board Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanFisher,

Picking up the Comet kit is an unusually good deal at $75, because it included everything. If you go the route of separately buying the board, mast, boom, sail, mast extension, and universal, you'll be looking a spending far far more, particularly if the gear is newer. It can be argued that spending more will get you better, more suitable gear, and I would have to agree, but if you don't have the money, you won't be able to get into the sport.

I'll be honest with you, windsurfing is an expensive sport, especially if you buy new. Over the 27 years that I've been windsurfing, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on gear. Don't get me wrong, its been worth it and I certainly have no regrets. The important thing to remember is that you must go into it with your eyes open. Just spend some time checking out the pricing of new gear. If you want to get into the sport on the cheap you'll need to make many concessions, and that will often mean dealing with less than ideal equipment. Also, learning the sport will require equipment that you will quickly outgrow, and that's a cold hard fact that few would disagree with. That's why I was promoting buying the Comet and trying to borrow a beginner's board to get you over the hump learning the basic skills you need to ease into the Comet a bit later. It wouldn't take too long if you're a quick learner and fully dedicated to succeed.
mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that the Comet is the later 170 liter version. The earlier 150 liter version had a wing pin tail whereas the one in the poster's picture does not. The sail is also has a center panel constructed from mono film where the earlier ones were dacron.

The following is a good link that shows both versions:

http://hitthewave.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/windsurfing-brochures-ads-80s-90s/

As the others mentioned even 170 liters is marginal but it is better than 150 particularly because it is a bit wider both in the middle and the tail.

I personally don't think you can go wrong for $75. The rig is much better than would come with most of the vintage boards. You can always find a cheap larger board to start with. I had a 190 pound friend who I introduced to windsurfing who successfully used the Comet both as a beginner and a transition board. It was one of the best transition boards in its day.

While I have not tried it I think you could tape a pair of pool noodles one to each side to make the board a bit more stable for the first several times. Just wrap several bands of duct tape around the board to hold them in place. It may look a bit goofy but the extra floatation would make a difference when you are first up hauling. You could also use pipe insulation which could be split open and would better conform to the rails. I think it was Mistral that actually made a cover with some extra foam that attached to the sides of the board for beginners to make the board more stable.
UrbanFisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I really appreciate everyone's advice. I did some serious reading over the last few days and I see exactly what everyone is saying. I guess the sport has changed much more than I had thought!!

But after some serious consideration I think I am going to buy it. I realize it will be harder for me to learn, but I do have good balance. I will use it knowing it will be a challenge. I only plan on using it in flat water to just basiclly get on the water and learn some of the basics. If I do wait to save for better gear, at the prices I saw, that could take a couple of years!!! So I think I will get this one to play around with and then save for a "real" board as I use and learn on this one.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you!
Remove the footstraps at first so they don't get in the way, you won't be needing them for a while and can even start planing without them.
And obviously keep the centerboard down (it increases stability tremendously), at least when up hauling and in the early stages of your re-entry into the sport. You will know when it needs to be brought back up, that's when you feel like you're going to capsize.
And try to find the most adequate mast foot position for your balance. If the tail sinks to much when you up haul, move it forward a little and try again.
Oh, and get some booties with good grip, not only will it help you not slip, but bare feet tend to suffer a lot for beginners.
Have loads of fun! Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanFisher wrote:
If I do wait to save for better gear, at the prices I saw, that could take a couple of years!!!

That right there, presuming you stay encouraged, outweighs everything else we said, IMO.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if you include the condo I bought in HR then it's more in the realm of $100,000 for gear in my case (of course that condo is worth considerably
more now than what I bought it for, unlike my last board).

No regrets here either, and if that Comet is 170 ltrs, it's almost learnable
by an agile 200lb man, maybe. Still voting for something in the 200ltr
range, surely somebody out there has a old O'brian Electric Banana,
and rig they'd give away, or better yet a nice $75 Mistral Equipe
complete with 6.5 long board sail.

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on gear. Don't get me wrong, its been worth it and I certainly have no regrets..
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some gear in Kingsville that may just fit the bill. See Craigslist: http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/spo/3322234345.html

My research seems to say the volume is 192 liters not the 170 the seller mentions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: