myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
So, what's the latest you've ever sailed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
jse wrote:
I make an effort to sail at least one day each month of the year, for no other reason than bragging rights.

RANDY? IS THAT YOU? Wink

He did exactly that, boasting endlessly that he had "sailed the Gorge" for 100 straight months. He kept it up even after we busted him calling a 100-yard freezing midwinter slog "windsurfing" just to fill his square.

I have been criticized for logging non-planable days, but only by people who don't see the advantage (and fun) in sailing in light wind. However I'm much less likely to pull the trigger and go out in light wind to work on my heli-tacks in December than in June. Most of my winter days are windy enough to plane on a 5.0 or less. I also have been criticized for logging days from winter vacations, but hey, if you live in NorCal and want a sailing vacation, probably makes more sense to plan it during the winter months.

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
jse wrote:
I make an effort to sail at least one day each month of the year, for no other reason than bragging rights.

RANDY? IS THAT YOU? Wink

He did exactly that, boasting endlessly that he had "sailed the Gorge" for 100 straight months. He kept it up even after we busted him calling a 100-yard freezing midwinter slog "windsurfing" just to fill his square.

If you want to scratch last December for me, go ahead. Here is my log entry for the one day I sailed in December:

"Another NNE day, warm (70 degrees). Looked good at first, but did not hold up. I sailed out to just upwind of the decrepit pier, and had to make a tack so I did a heli. Next time out same thing. Then I came in and quit.

2 - Port heli-tacks"

Two heli-tacks when I absolutely had to make them (or get tangled up in the ruins of a pier) did provide some satisfaction though.

Steve
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Steve on this one. I used to "count" a day only if I could hook in, get on a plane, and get both feet in the straps - no matter if for two hours or two seconds. Now I count them all. I learn no matter what I'm doing. Light wind skills come from sailing in light wind. Light wind skills means more days in the waves.

Just for fun, I checked my journals. I've sailed at least one day of the month consecutively since 2004. So, that's 106 months to date and counting. I haven't sailed this November...yet! I didn't even know I was going for a record. Most of the days were planing. From 1998 (when I first started recording my days OTW), I missed a few Februarys and Decembers. The Bay Area Rules!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there might be some wind on Wednesday according to some of our local amateur forecasters... I guess the heat wave is ending after Tuesday and we'll go back to an onshore flow. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
NickB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping for a lunch session in Alameda Thursday, even if it's the longboard!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what are you guys using your logged day data for? I only wonder,
because I logged data for sailing days for a long time. It turns out
that within 10 days or so, my year is pretty much the same, I get in about
70 days a year. Anyway, I quit logging days about 8 years ago, because
I don't use that data for anything, it doesn't get me on the water more,
nor does it predict better wind quality, nor anything associated with
my sailing experience moment to moment.

I guess I could relive those days mentally, but I have video if that were
my goal.

So what's the reason you log?

-Craig
victor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only logged one year and it was because i was curious how many days i was getting. it actually made me try harder to increase my numbers.

now that i look at the log i notice the off season days were all on smaller equipemnt. it also tells which sites were the most consistant during which months.

it was a good year. sailed both halloween and thanksgiving.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

Laughing Duh!!! It's a diversion from that borrring job!!

Mostly to see how many days of fun you got this year. It will become more obviously important as you get older.
Also you can log how many miles (sessions) are on your sails/boom etc to see when they are getting near time to replace.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

Because I'm a geek. I have a relational SQL database and application I designed and wrote, so it caters to me exactly. From that I can determine all kinds of things, like rating a site by quality and quantity of sessions, as well as by Month (Tomales is better in the spring than summer for example.) Or what my sailing habits are with respect to launches (I load up on Larkspur in July and August, TI in June through September.) Of course, these are things I already knew so big deal. How about hours ridden on each board or sail. When a board was first ridden, how many sessions on a board or sail, etc...

I also keep track of successful moves (until they become second nature. I.e., I don't keep track of gybes). I log how many of each move, and what tack I was on. This gives me some motivation to succeed and try more.

Then there's subjective stuff, like who I sailed with, things I saw, quality of the water and wind.

All of this stuff I can query out of the database. For example the other day people were asking about traffic during fleet week at Treasure Island. I was able to look back and see what it was like last year.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it only takes a few seconds to add a log entry, the forms are setup to make it easy. The real work is writing and maintaining the application. I have a lot of stuff I want to add, but I don't have time, if I'm programming I prefer being paid, if I'm not being paid to program, I prefer sailing.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

Steve
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm a bit of a geek myself only I use Excel to keep track of days sailed at my regular spots, sail size, wind speed, board, fun factor and also SUP days so I have it on record that the wife and dog are getting equal time at the lake! Also a space for notes. Sometimes I'll insert pictures. It's fun and informative to look back at the end of the year and reminisce and look for trends like most used sail and boards etc. Looking back this year the only trend I see is not enough sailing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: