myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to Get Windsurfing Gear – East Central FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CFLPaul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Where to Get Windsurfing Gear – East Central FL Reply with quote

My 13yo son just picked up a very used beginner board. He and I have dreams of being out together, but long story short I need to investigate some gear for him now….due to budget will have to be used.

I still have my old slalom board and we were able to put a rig together for him to use for a bit this past Sunday, but my stuff is starting to deteriorate and even my little sail proved to be too big for him.

What local shops (Merritt Island / Orlando vicinity) are useful? I know about the one at Kelly Park, but was hoping to hear there are others too.

Thanks

Last edited by CFLPaul on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your young son's beginners rig look on Craigslist for a used Windglider or Aquaglider. The sail rig, which is around a 3.2, includes a very light aluminum boom & mast. It is light enough for almost anyone to handle. Sometimes the whole setup including the inflatable board is under $200.

I've successfully used the Windglider sail rig as a teaching tool on a Starboard Start. I've also used it myself on a land sailor in high wind.

When you are ready to spend enough for better new or used equipment I'd try Sandy Point Progressive Sports in Daytona.

Another way which might be better is to buy some excellent instruction from Calema Windsurfing in Merritt Island. Your son may progress fast enough from a professional lesson to avoid buying one level of development gear. And, unless you are much better at teaching than most of us, hooking your son on windsurfing is more likely to happen if his instructor is not his Dad.

Good luck.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.progressivesports.com/windsurfing.php
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Get Windsurfing Gear – East Central FL Reply with quote

CFLPaul wrote:
due to budget will have to be used.

Budget, smudget. It makes no sense to buy new gear for a beginner of any size or age simply because s/he will outgrow it and/or change his/her preferences and priorities several times each year. Let the sucker who DID buy new beginner gear take the hit. Even if you could afford new stuff, it makes no sense, and anyone of normal means won't stay that way for long if he buys new gear every time another advertisement or spiel or fad catches his eye. Put your WSing money where the payoff is real, far more important, and unavailable used: professional lessons.

Mike \m/
CFLPaul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input fellas......I've got a lot better idea what and where to look now.

Funny you mention Calema.....that's where he had the camp that got him interested and actually where I got some of my gear many many moons ago.

Also funny iso....I don't think I would have bought new anyway, but now it is not even and option. The very valuable professional lessons will come if he shows the drive like I anticipate he will and keeps up with all of his other responsibilities (and mom lands a job).

I wonder how much better I would have gotten if I had lessons.
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Check out craigslist. Reply with quote

http://orlando.craigslist.org/spo/3394965993.html
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to Get Windsurfing Gear – East Central FL Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Let the sucker who DID buy new beginner gear take the hit. Even if you could afford new stuff, it makes no sense, and anyone of normal means won't stay that way for long if he buys new gear every time another advertisement or spiel or fad catches his eye. Put your WSing money where the payoff is real, far more important, and unavailable used: professional lessons.

Mike \m/
That is just so cynical that it defies comment.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Where to Get Windsurfing Gear – East Central FL Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
isobars wrote:
Let the sucker who DID buy new beginner gear take the hit. Even if you could afford new stuff, it makes no sense, and anyone of normal means won't stay that way for long if he buys new gear every time another advertisement or spiel or fad catches his eye. Put your WSing money where the payoff is real, far more important, and unavailable used: professional lessons.

Mike \m/

That is just so cynical that it defies comment.

Brucie, you and Mikey were BFF. What happened?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: