myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Ecstasy and the Agony
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
FWIW, I've also cut way back on stretching based on highly credible books which insist it is VERY often overdone, that virtually its only valid purpose outside gymnastics or ballet is correcting specific medical problems such as medical rehab or medically impaired ROM.

I think that was the point of this thread.......how to mitigate pain/ discomfort largely caused by the pursuit of difficult, dangerous and strenuous activities. This isn't stretching to take on Usain Bolt. It's stretching to enable a reasonably normal range of motion despite the abuse we have piled onto our limbs and joints over the years. Everyone is different, but for me, and for all those I know of a similar vintage, a stretching regimen makes a big difference.
braden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion.

At age 69, I now experience muscle soreness for TWO days after sailing, not just one. You can read about delayed onset muscle soreness, and its relation to "eccentric" muscle movement in wikipedia etc. I definitely get more muscle soreness from windsurfing than from other exercise. (Except helping my daughter assemble IKEA furniture last weekend: that was a killer!)

I take NSAIDs for arthritis and heel spurs; I have never found them to be any help for muscle soreness no matter when I take them.

A good night's sleep before and after sailing helps a lot.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you Braden, if I experience muscle soreness after windsurfing, it lasts for two days, with the sorest day always being the second day. By the third day, everything begins to improve quite quickly. Like I pointed out earlier, I don't take analgesics for muscle soreness. I have to say that I kind of enjoy the soreness, because it reminds me how effective windsurfing is as exercise.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braden wrote:
At age 69, I now experience muscle soreness for TWO days after sailing, not just one. You can read about delayed onset muscle soreness, and its relation to "eccentric" muscle movement in wikipedia etc. I definitely get more muscle soreness from windsurfing than from other exercise.

The DOMS you describe is due not to WSing, per se, but to overworking muscles you have not used in a long time. Its peak on the second day is a dead giveaway of that's being the cause. I know of two ways to prevent or minimize them: Use 'em regularly, or get 'em a little sore with a little bit of exercise. For that very reason, my first day in the gym after the sailing season ends* covers every base I can think of, but lightly. That gets muscles I wasn't using on the water a little sore, which beats getting REALLY sore.

*I don't do gym during the sailing season. We need rest then, not more aggravation. My first exception to that guideline was this season, the lamest I can ever remember. I think I actually worked out at home twice this summer and even went to the gym a couple of times in Oct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: