myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fun factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW I unnertstan. However, thousands of us very deliberately turn down that niche because, for them, WSing is about the terrain, not just planing, much like dirt bike riders get bored in about 10 minutes on the Bonneville Salt Flats.
alap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me buying SB Formula about 5 years ago was definetely a good choice. (or rather it was not a pure race Formula, something labeled IQ.. but full one meter wide)

It had increased my time on the water, and not only in obvious way in lighter wind, but also implicitly, justifiing driving out in marginal forecast, having it as insurance against complete skunk (and 70% of the time wsrfng regular sails and boards).

Yes it is different, and requires adjustment, and very physical (my wind is never steady) and may be very scary... but for me worth every penny.

I dont live in the Gorge and value every hour of my sailing and wsrfng to me is equivalent in going fast, planing, in harness and in straps, jibing and doing it again and again... Of course I love 4.2 conditions on 75 liter board, enjoying the third dimension, but I like my FW too.

Up to this year I was sailing it with 10 Retro. This sail is a bit too much for me - mainly to carry it to the water and out, especially over the rocks.... very difficult to carry with the board, and if you separate from the board it is very scary because you don't know what the wind will do and what if the gust will pick it up... Of course as long it is 12-15 knots, you are balanced and planing in straps, the sail is weightless, but everything (pumping, shlogging, waiting, carrying, being overpowered) in your timeline before and after this heavinly moment wears me down twice as fast as 3.9 on 75 liters.

Is it worth extra dollars, time and effort is a perconalised choice. I guess if you are a Gorge rat, there is no need for this. My season is very short (~15 days wsrfng, ~30 days surfing (with paddle) and about ~25 days skiing), and for me as I said it worth every penny.

This year I tried it with my new 8.5 Retro. Very good combination, for my conditions, I can carry it, I am not that afraid if wind really pick up, and low end of my 8.5 is very close to my 10.0 (10 is probably 5-6 years old, while 8.5 is new). Tried this FW board with 7.0 too, but its a bit too little.

So for me it is not a question - its good thing I bought it!

I have a question though, and I am not sure if it belongs to this thread, and that is if freeride board ~150 liters, ~80 cm shoulda be my next board? Intended use - this 8.5 m Retro and may be also 7.0 (say I rig 7.0+103 liters, it dies a bit, I change just the board)

For the record I have all the sails from 7.0 to 3.9 and boards from 100 liters down to 75 liters. I also have 10 year old Bic Techno 123 liters, I haven't used it last 5 years or so, but I tried it with this 8.5 and the feeling I have I would notice a lot of improvement if I buy this new freeride instead of this Techno. Riding this 8.5 on Techno was pretty much like regular windsurfing... but for example riding my last year 7.0 Retro on Exocet 103 liters is much more lively.

Also this freeride ~145 liters with 8.5 will certainly have a practical advantage over current Techno, that if it dies, Ill be able to uphaul and shlog back much easily...

BTW, there was a lot of discussion about shlogging, if shlog good or bad... and comparison of shlog and glide (to me those are synonyms). my take is simple... shlogging is evil in itself, but it is your saving grace because it just a mechanism of coming back vertically, instead of swimming.... its a toggle, a bit, yes/no. No quality to it.

So my question, is it worth the dollars and hiding it from the wifey, this freeride upgrade (instead of Techno)?

any opinion of people who sailed both FW and this freeride will be appreciated. Thank you.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
I dont live in the Gorge and value every hour of my sailing ... if you are a Gorge rat, there is no need for this... there was a lot of discussion about shlogging, if shlog good or bad... and comparison of shlog and glide (to me those are synonyms). my take is simple... shlogging is evil in itself, but it is your saving grace because it just a mechanism of coming back vertically, instead of swimming...

MANY people apparently enjoy it, as they slog back and forth for extended periods while going absolutely nowhere. I've even heard some ADMIT they enjoy it, even on sinkers. And realize that Just Say "No" to 5.0 "Gorge rats" would easily triple their WSing time if they sailed bigger gear. This place ain't magic; it just gets many windy days, if you're in the right place at the right time, scattered among many more slalom and Formula days.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking this question, you might be married to the wrong person.
Either way, in the end, hiding stuff from your SO is going to cost more than
the joy you get.

but... I think you'd like the upgrade. ;*)

-Craig

alap wrote:
So my question, is it worth the dollars and hiding it from the wifey, this freeride upgrade (instead of Techno)?

any opinion of people who sailed both FW and this freeride will be appreciated. Thank you.
alap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Very Happy not sure why I even asking? Very Happy
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alap. As you say, your SB non race formula with the smaller 8.5 (fully agree) is a very handy combo for light wind time on the water, and the 8.5 will have adequate handling in reserve should the wind freshen a bit. You also take your 100 litre stuff to cover, should the forecast be out, and it is windier, so you have it well covered.

The idea of splitting the difference with a 145 litre set up is seductive, but you may then run into a problem. Namely, what to take. If, like me, you live a fair way from the sea and have to rely on wind forecasts, you wouldn't be sure which would be best.

145 litre boards used to be quite popular (fashion) at our beach, a few years back, but most found that they fell between two stools. They weren't big and fast enough for really light winds (my 160 litre and 8.0 m Techno combo was faster) and if the wind picked up they were too big and clumsy. Most gave up on them, and switched to 130 litre'ish fast slalom boards instead.

Perhaps that might be a better choice for you, if you like frightening yourself. Wink You certainly wouldn't lack thrills then, and you'd always have the formula stuff for back up, in lighter conditions.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap,

Every one's situation is different, so this may not work for you. I have a starboard formula 160 and use it with an 11.0 and 9.2 for free sailing in 8-15+ knots. If the wind picks up to 12-18 knots, then I jump down to a Starboard iSonic 111 slalom board (108 liters) with an 8.4, or 7.6 or 6.6 (7.6 is the sweet spot). With more wind, I go to a 105 liter bump and jump board with a 4.5, 5.2 or 6.0. I have an 80 liter board if it really blows.

I have considered filling the gap between the formula and iSonic, but I really don't need one with the winds I typically get, and my opportunities to get on the water (90 days last year). In another location, a larger freeride or slalom board could be a benefit.

I weigh 165 lbs.
NickB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
BTW, there was a lot of discussion about shlogging, if shlog good or bad... and comparison of shlog and glide (to me those are synonyms).

alap, I don't believe they're really synonyms. Boards designed for "gliding+planing" (e.g. longer race board) offer more fun and performance in that sub-planning range than boards that are not (e.g. FW, freeride, etc.). You don't have that binary feel, the transition from gliding to planing (and from planing to gliding) is much less of a contrast on these boards than the transition from shlogging to planing on shorter boards.

But then again, I understand why some would not like gliding either, personal preferences. Personally, I'll take gliding over shlogging anytime. And if I know I'm gonna glide and not plane for 2 hours, I'll still go (with my long board). But if I know I'll shlog and not plane for two hours on my short board, then I don't consider it worth my time to go out, that's the worst kind of TOW I can think about Smile

However I'll admit I'd be frustrated to be gliding on my longboard and see a Formula sailor zooming by planing, I think we can all agree that planing is *the* drug Very Happy
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Almost a formula ?? Reply with quote

Wintering in Florida and with many days of light wind sailing bought a Isonic/145/88/224 .Not to good to slog on and with an Infinity 9.5 it planes quite early. Very weedy so weed fin a must which is another reason I stayed away from full formula.I had a 145 Shark,slow to plane and accelerate.On 8-13 days I sail a bic 293od . Removed the center board and closed up the hole with plexiglass.Amazing how early this board will plane and able to slog back to the beach with minimal wind.A Few days back had 3 days of 20-30 winds. Sailed a Shark130 and Rocket 115 with a 4.4 and 4.8. It's soo great to get out and sail and at 64 I'm hoping to someday figure gybing.(One of the regulars is 87 and sails regularly)Oh yea, Went from 183 to160 lbs and really helped in early planing.(Pumping is still a mystery to me) GOOD SAILING TO ALL, Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: