myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wavesailing, avoiding foot/ankle injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to say you were INexperienced, just you showed questionable judgement at the moment in time.
WilliamRiedel and ChrisChang were friends of mine 20-28 years ago.
They applied bad judgement by going for big jumps with flatter than normal rockered wave boards. I still have the utmost respect for both.
Imagine what would have happenned if you were riding a pure wave board of around 78 liters, about right for your size. Probably would have made a magazine front page, and stick the tail first landing.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here and we'll do the rest

The blue bus is calling us
The blue bus is calling us
Driver, where you taking us? "

;*)

-Craig

jingebritsen wrote:
east coast vs west coast gangsta throw down!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaller board in coastal florida, dream on. i've been there, and wasted enough opportunities. don't let the west coast and gorge folks lead you astray. go big, or sit on the beach with the rest of the wind snobs.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
tingram

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries - I love surfing and if it is too light to wavesail, I am more than happy to paddle out. I'm not giving up the bigger board but don't plan big jumps on it or using it in heavy conditions. Speaking of which, Florida is now the big wave ctr of the universe! Check out Dasher's Pump House video on youtube.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tingram, while I'm not taking a shot at LeeD on this, I will admit to riding all of my Mike's Lab slalom boards in the surf over the years, to include using them with my Tectonics Goldwing, Spitfire and Mirage fins. I will say that I launch in surf conditions much of the time, and while I'm not centering on the waves most of the time, there's nothing like taking advantage of a choice wave coming in on the inside. Of course, while on the wave, I'm not hitting a thick lip going off-the-top. Nonetheless, it's surprising how well these boards can do in very average surf conditions, even on some reasonable jumps in the mix. As a bit of a qualifier though, I was a dedicated surfer for well over 20 years before starting windsurfing many years ago.

I think that your accident was a bad stroke of luck. Like you said after 25 years, you haven't experienced such a injury. Glad to know that you're good to go again.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you take a shot?
We know every good sailor in the waves everywhere in the surfsailing world can ride whatever boards they want.
BUT, when going for safety, always a wave board, full rocker, small fin, narrow tail. WHY, you ask? For control from going too big on jumps.
Consider...the acceleration of a freeride board, the speed of a freeride compared to pure wave, and the corner of the wave coming IN at you at almost wave speed (talking onshore winds here), equals much higher heights than the human body can handle on the landings.
Most wave boards are easily capable of 17' high jumps, at the fin. So a freeride should easily clear 25', or more. Landing from those heights is a control problem with outboard straps, blade fins, and hard rails.
That's my point.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Landing from [any significant, IMO] heights is a control problem with outboard straps, blade fins, and hard rails.

Amen. Each of those ramps up the odds of unexpected torques onto the rider's feet; all together is asking for trouble.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to second the notion, that jumping a board that is longer
(and wider), with the straps outboard, and a large verticle fin, and
sharp rails, is risky on the landing. I find even my freeride RRD to have
a bit of risk, because of it's length, width, and skeg.

On the other hand, all those slalomy things do translate into increased
take off speed, which translates into higher, longer jumps, just ask Dale
or Bruce. They appear to be willing to run the risk, for the adrenaline jollies.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:
Landing from [any significant, IMO] heights is a control problem with outboard straps, blade fins, and hard rails.

Amen. Each of those ramps up the odds of unexpected torques onto the rider's feet; all together is asking for trouble.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put things into perspective. I did say reasonable jumps. In a pretty good blow, just the windswell alone can set up some fairly decent ramps. However, when we're talking about real waves, especially from a big ground swell, it's a whole different story. Even with my small more wavy type boards, as an old guy I usually try to avoid getting too much air. But, like Craig said, there are those guys with a big pair that are up for practically anything. Remember that video where Robby Naish really launched a 12 1/2 foot raceboard and pulled off a forward. Now, that took a lot of nerve and talent.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

165 lbs. 5.5 sail. onshore wind condition in head high surf.
Winds averaging 20.
That is not overpowered, that is nicely powered freeride conditions, except to the surf.
And OP bit off a little more than prudence would advise, going for it.
Something we'd call a MISTAKE, an unintended error.
Couple the freeride board. Twas TWENTY, probably mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: