myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter suppression, race-baiting and the GOP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac comes by it honestly. His president has fanned the racial flames from the dais, through his selection and support of Holder, and in his actions and policies more than any president I can remember.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some reading for you
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaDean wrote:
one person who works out of his house can change without a single person being able to know that he can move around and change 2.6 million votes and no oversight.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/12256-e-voting-company-could-intercept-and-change-ballots-without-a-trace

e-Voting Company Could Intercept and Change Ballots Without a Trace

Quote:
The Free Press has previously reported, Scytl, a Barcelona based e-voting company will be counting votes in 26 states. They will be doing so through something called the Federal Overseas Voting Program or FVAP. FVAP is a program designed to allow military personnel and other overseas Americans to vote in their home districts seamlessly through electronically delivered absentee ballots.

"It's not the people who vote that matter, it's the people who count the votes that matter"....Josef Stalin.

The right shares your concern Dean.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty doesn't even try to avoid thinly veiled racial slurs. Here's what I found absolutely chilling in Fanny Lou Hamer's account. After trying to register to vote, she and her husband were kicked off the plantation in Mississippi where they had sharecropped for nearly 20 years. Bullets were fired into their house trying to kill her. But the comments of the plantation owner have been revived:

Quote:
"If you don't go down and withdraw your registration, you will have to leave." Said, "Then if you go down and withdraw," said, "you still might have to go because we are not ready for that in Mississippi
."

This from a poll taken by CBS in 2008:

Quote:
Some of the largest differences are by region. Seventy-two percent of those who live in the West say most people they know would vote for a black person for president. Sixty-six percent in the Northeast and 64 percent in the Midwest agree. But the figure is lowest in the South, where just 54 percent say most people they know would vote for an African-American for president. 33 percent there say most people they know would not.

So 33 percent of those who live in the red-state south say most people they know would not vote for a black president. And the comments? "We're just not ready.

Racism in politics is a funny thing. In a tight race, you don't need many bigots to swing an election--but you need them to vote, and stay on your side. So I do think that the vast majority of Republicans are opposed to Obama for policy reasons--and that is fine, as far as it goes. But we have more than a little bit of the "Good German" thing going when those who oppose Obama for policy reasons countenance the bigots, or post racially insensitive videos like the "free phone" example. The Republican strategists know that a swing of 2 to 5% due to racism works in their favor, as to measures to restrict minority turnout. That's something to be proud of, eh, empowering the bigots to return to power?
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Nick's source, kind of seems on point:

Quote:
Racial Attitudes of Democrats, Republicans, and Independents

Consistent with past research (Sniderman & Carmines, 1997; Tesler & Sears, 2010b), explicit racism was more common among Republicans than among Democrats in all years. In 2008, the proportion of people expressing anti‐Black attitudes was 31% among Democrats, 49% among independents, and 71% among Republicans, highly significant differences (p<.001). In 2012, the proportion of people expressing anti‐Black attitudes was 32% among Democrats, 48% among independents, and 79% among Republicans, again highly significant differences (p<.001).

The gap between Democrats and Republicans was significantly greater in
2012 than it was in 2008 (
p=.004), though much of the change may be attributable to differences between people who called themselves Republicans in 2008 and people who called themselves Republicans in 2012. The extent of explicit anti‐Black attitudes was notably larger in the latter of these groups than in the former (71% vs. 79%). In contrast, the extent of explicit anti‐Black attitudes was equivalent among people who called themselves Democrats in 2008 and people who called themselves
Democrats in 2012 (31% vs. 32%).
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, 95% of blacks vote for Obama. Very odd wouldn't you say..then of course if there's a black politician like Mia Love, the racists rants from the left are deafening. Then when the most beautiful black actress (who I'd marry in a minute if I were single) Stacy Dash endorsed Romney, she was called a whore, a slut, the N word, etcetera by the rabid left. Especially her fellow black actors. Just look it up.

This makes me sick. This president and many of his followers have exploited race in the most divisive way.

http://dotsub.com/media/b5ee5ada-5b37-4b0b-9916-e0896337ec4b/embed/eng

This is real prejudice.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve... why dont African AMericans vote for Republicans?
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--there is no question that there is bigotry on both sides of the color line. The difference is that there are so many more whites, and the Republican party is willing to exploit racism. Or in the case of Tancredo and Arpaio, celebrate it.

By the way, do you think that your comment about Stacy Dash and wanting to marry her somehow absolves you from all your insensitive comments? Do you think that only attractive African American women (from your aesthetic sense) are ok?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my bride is a beautiful Latina, I've got all the bases covered, including my kids.. Laughing I wouldn't want an ugly girl no matter what the race!

Boggs, I think the evil overlords providing free govt cheese, phones, food and housing have broken the spirit of many, of all races. It just so happens that the left has done a pretty good job of locking the poor up.

I could easily make anyone of average intelligence who's on welfare today, if he followed my instructions, into a millionaire in 10 years. If he were willing to work 10 hour days for the 1st 5 years and invest wisely the next 5. You could too Boggs. This sounds like a movie huh? The key ingredient is drive, not luck or intelligence, because I have no doubt that so many poor folks are so much smarter than me.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--there are more than a few holes in your theory. First, there are millions of hard-working people who have slipped into poverty over the past 4 years, and over the last twenty. The sector where they worked hard--particularly the construction industry and the automobile industry--have fallen on hard times. It is common for the right to blame union contracts in the auto manufacturing industry for the problems--but that ignores the failure of management of the big American firms to develop reliable small cars. Management, not workers, abandoned an entire sector of the autmotive market.

The auto industry is far more than manufacturing--and sales and service have also been hammered. The downturn in construction severely crippled the remainder of the blue collar industry--despite the steady increase in worker skills that I have seen in builders at all levels. Those builders did nothing to cause the collapse of the housing bubble--and when it did, their skills weren't in demand. So there's more than a bit of blame the innocent in your attitude. While entrepeneurs often do well even in economic downturns, relatively few are gifted entrepeneurs.

The other part of your argument had to do with investment. Did you forget that most of the loss of $18 trillion was in investments? And did you also forget that the financial industry sought--and obtained from both Democrats and Republicans--relief from the Glass-Steagall provisions that had prevented massive financial meltdowns for 80 years? So many investments were "tranches" of high risk sub-prime loans peddled as prime investments due to the deregulation bill written by Phil Gramm and the collusion of bond rating agencies? Were you aware that the report on the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy suggested that it was fraud that resulted in the death of the firm? Were you aware that the provisions of the financial de-regulation bill made some types of misleading peddling of investments legal, and made others almost impossible to prosecute as crimes? Were you aware that the Republicans, unanimously, fought any re-regulation of the financial industry, even the mild provisions of the Volcker Rule? Were you aware that the Democrats who had long been funded by Wall Street were pretty tepid and timid about crossing their funders? It took a major effort by Ted Kaufman, Biden's replacement, to get any teeth into the bill. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-04-16/joe-biden-s-senate-replacement-takes-aim-at-the-financial-industry-excess.html

There is an interesting article on Kaufman and Jeff Connaughton in the November 5 New Yorker that has lots of details about inside Washington politics, and is less than supportive of Obama's temerity in going after Wall Street fraud. We have no indictments after nearly four years, and the author argues that there was no sense of urgency in the Justice Department, or the Congress, to take on the crimes of the banks--or resist their 3,000 lobbyists.

But again, the difference in the party's is significant. The Democrats eventually passed a weak re-regulation bill that will curb some of the worst abuses. The Republicans, and Mitt, have sworn to remove any restrictions and free the financial industry to do it to us all over again. Now I don't know about you, but I lost a few hundred grand in those fraudulent practices, and the pension systems of most governments lost billions. So your story about how investments will deliver wealth without someone protecting investors from fraud doesn't quite ring true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 29 of 41

Jump to: