myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cam Vs. No-Cam (Again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
For every one of you out there who loves your jumps and jibes and freestyle, there's another who just wants to maximize their time on a plane, and just enjoy going on long straight runs. Article says they should go camless. I started this thread because I disagree.

For the windsurfer who has just gotten comfortable in the footstraps and harness, there's no doubt that the feel of a locked in cammed sail is nice on a beam reach. I owned cammed sails at that point in my windsurfing. But I have never known anyone who liked having to fall off their board, swim their gear around to the opposite tack, and then waterstart (a heavier sail) as their mode of returning to where they started from.

I know from observation, teaching, and my own experience that those cams are an impediment to learning and becoming proficient at tacks and jibes. If I'm in 80 degree waist deep water in the Caribbean that's no big deal. But if I'm sailing in overhead water, it is.

Last edited by PeconicPuffin on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Michael 100% from my own experiences with them, my conclusions were that they were an impediment to my progress in mastering basic skills such as jibing. Pumping to plane is a moot point. In a 2 hr. session I spend maybe 30 seconds doing this. I have no problem planing through lulls, just bear off a little to keep on a plane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: