myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui ultra fins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
OK, bad sailor.
Need more fin for the wind conditions. Need bigger sail. Need straps bigger so foot goes in farther. Need booms lower and track back so the sail lifts the windward rail more.
Need lots.

Got it , bigger sail. Ill try it again in the next east wind
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason IMO to have a 3fin is have it firmly planted, and the upwind advantage of the extra fin area.

To perform in comparison to a single fin the tri fin area needs to be 1.33-1.5% MORE than:: the area on a single fin that works most of the time.

This board is 78L and the fin if single should be something like 22-24cm in length
with an area of something like 200--221cm2 depending on whos fin, those I considered were MFC, MUF True Ames and Black Project Fins, the average was/is 209cm2.

average of 1.33 & 1.5 X 209cm2 = 295cm2

the 2.5"/ 6.5cm fins are extremely small , a educated guess of the area being 45cm2, the smallest I have are 9cm.

the side fins together = 90cm2 leaving 205cm2 using this formula for the center fin, when added together .

The TA Enduro in size 18--20cm , the MFC either k1 or AR in 21cm, the Black Project Wave fin in 22cm,
and the MUFs, Wave 22cm, X-Wave 20cm, Style in 22cm, No Spin26cm, all would work using this formula.

Since this WAS about Maui Ultra Fin, the X-Wave would be my consideration if control were a prime consideration, and the Style, Wave,No Spin all having their plus, and better upwind would be just one.

The OO must have a very efficient bottom shape, especially speed, the cut out center fins must be used to slow things down , anything with 3 fins is going to have more drag than a single. The cant on the glass on sides must work, but in my fin experiments it creates more drag at the expense of earlier planing, but better more snappy turns and stuck like a train.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. Ive been wondering about the center fin size. The OOs have pretty easy planing even with the extra fins. The little one I have is relatively easy to get on a plane for its size. The guy I got this one from said it was pretty fast even with the slotted fin. My goal is to be able to go as fast as possible in crazy conditions over big swell and chop.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
My goal is to be able to go as fast as possible in crazy conditions over big swell and chop.

Then you should buy a board designed for that purpose. One example: A lawn-mower bud with your same criterion hoards Clams for that purpose, and found a mint one at Goodwill for ~$20. He usually has to pay more like $50 for pristine Clams.

First, however, ask yourself whether maneuverability, which affects fun and jumping, and ride comfort, which affects everything, matter. Both will strongly affect your board choices.

Either way, you'll find many good options at swap meets. I also demand comfort and handling, but even then I have many options ... and a wall full of very fast, highly maneuverable, smooth-riding boards. I gave an extremely fast board to the CGWA -- a local speed purist said it was the fastest board he has ever ridden -- because it rode roughly in chop when WFO. It had at least two more gears than any OO I've ever seen, and I sail every day with several of them.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im planning on getting faster boards, but this one should let me sail as fast as I can go...with control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: