myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
help me advance from quick learner to good in high winds
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtbikerdr@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: help me advance from quick learner to good in high winds Reply with quote

about 5 years ago i started windsurfing because I was an avid surfer that moved way inland and i saw this guy down the street with a board on his car and we hooked up. He moved from spain to my area just for windsurfing, the winds howl on our lake in the winter, he used to call it nuclear. long story short I got second hand equipment and went out with him. It was insanely hard at first but I learned to watterstart and at times i loved it, crazy speed and adrenelin , i went from a transition baord to a short board in 10-15 trips. It was alot of work and the best I ever got was one out of five starts or so I would get a killer run in, I would always crash turning and it would wear me out fairly quickly. he moved away and I went out on a nuclear day and about died when i fot hurled into the mast and broke equipment and had to swim and hike for hours !!!
TOMOROW I AM GOING BACK, THIS TIME I WANT TO NEVER STOP, help me
p.s. the experts from hood river told me i was learning incredably fast, i usually do, this sport is different though, any advice is apreciated.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where are you?
2. What kind of EQ you got's.
3. Like surfing, you gotta devote the time and energy.
4. Going to a shortboard, for a surfer, in 2 weeks is very slow learning.
5. How can you call yourself a surfer if you can't ride a 9' long, 90 liter board?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Keith --

I see you're near Bullhead City, AZ, with access to Havasu, Mead, etc. You should have success finding several WSers in your area for local-specific advice and assistance. In the meantime, get all the TOW (time on the water) you can, including on big boards. High wind snobs hold their progress back. One thing Zirtaeb (aka Lee) and I can guarantee you: WSing hurts a HELL of a lot less than dirt biking. Lee was a hard core near-pro mx racer, and I must have turned over most sand grains in existence in central and southern Utah (the best off-road Nirvana in the United States, IMO). Single-track, Schmingle-track; hie thee to the Utah desert. Moab's fine, but go further (from 10 to 100 miles) NW and add the third dimension to that sport; your jaw will drop at tens of thousands of square miles of wide-open world-class dirt biking where YOU, not others' tracks, determine which way you go two seconds from now. After that, single-track riding will feel like surfing in a bath tub. Then when you get smart enough to stop riding murdercycles (if you're an orthopod, that won't take long; I rode and raced dirt bikes >200 days a year for decades before WS came along), you can move to Hood River and reverse your priorities.

Mike \m/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really are near Bullhead/Laughlin, You're right on top of
lake Mohave, which gets good wind in the Winter. On a North
wind you want Cabin Site cover, near Kathrine's landing. On a South
wind you want 6 Mile cove near Searchlight. High pressure over the 4 corners area makes for pretty good 6.5-5.5 conditions. Approaching fronts can be as good as 4.5 at 6 Mile. It's probably sailable 3 days a week from November though March if you have 2 boards (110 ltrs and
80 ltrs) and 5 sails (7.5, 6.5, 5.5, 4.7, 4.2).

But, it sounds like you tried to get into the sport from the performance
aspect 1st. Even though you're a wunderkind (most people who windsurf
are), it might behoove you to start from a little more stable platform, than a sinker short board. You might end up with a lot of really weird
habits starting with a short board. Just say'n your progression might go
faster if you continued with a floater in lighter winds for the next 10 or 15
times.

-Craig
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what a tough life, riding dirt bikes, surfing, windsurfing, snowboarding, and skiing.
I've eaten more dirt from faceplants than most, have broken quite a few bones, separates, disclocates, sprains, and second the motion windsurfing gives the thrills, but doesn't penalized the spills.
Watch that vid, RIP from Naish. His footage of slalom board wound up in open ocean swells is near orgasmic.
dirtbikerdr@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: you guys are awesome.much in comon Reply with quote

I feel like I found some long lost brothers. I live in oahu and moved there for surfing for many years. As far as dirt bike goes I ride 4 days a week out of my backyard. I am a expert at both. I want to get good at windsurfing I realize I am NOT. Last time I windsurf the wind was 100 miles per hour gusts on Christmas tree pass I was the only guy out I broke my equipment it was brutal.i was the only guy out.i came close to death. have only been on the watter mayb y 15 times and have only sailed 5.0 down to 3.0
Will it help if i post my equipment. Its all used and handmedown ki.da stuff except the sails.
If any you guys want to ride dirt or sail that would be awesome.i have alot of singletrack etc.
Does it make sense that starting learnng in these conditions could cause fundemetal problems i. Te hnique?
Or do i need to do like the exerts told me and just keep at it and log in the time.
dirtbikerdr@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ not that it matters but I was on a shortboard on my fifth time or so to the lake. But I was not good at it and I want to be badly and I will be someday sounds like you can help quote="zirtaeb"]1. Where are you?
2. What kind of EQ you got's.
3. Like surfing, you gotta devote the time and energy.
4. Going to a shortboard, for a surfer, in 2 weeks is very slow learning.
5. How can you call yourself a surfer if you can't ride a 9' long, 90 liter board?[/quote]
dirtbikerdr@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quo I love it we have a lot in common I've had friends that I rode with on the weekends that were once world champions I can relate. When I retire I have beachfront property and world class surfing in front of my propert in and Panama and I want to be able to take advantage of it that is my goal help me te="isobars"]Hi, Keith --

I see you're near Bullhead City, AZ, with access to Havasu, Mead, etc. You should have success finding several WSers in your area for local-specific advice and assistance. In the meantime, get all the TOW (time on the water) you can, including on big boards. High wind snobs hold their progress back. One thing Zirtaeb (aka Lee) and I can guarantee you: WSing hurts a HELL of a lot less than dirt biking. Lee was a hard core near-pro mx racer, and I must have turned over most sand grains in existence in central and southern Utah (the best off-road Nirvana in the United States, IMO). Single-track, Schmingle-track; hie thee to the Utah desert. Moab's fine, but go further (from 10 to 100 miles) NW and add the third dimension to that sport; your jaw will drop at tens of thousands of square miles of wide-open world-class dirt biking where YOU, not others' tracks, determine which way you go two seconds from now. After that, single-track riding will feel like surfing in a bath tub. Then when you get smart enough to stop riding murdercycles (if you're an orthopod, that won't take long; I rode and raced dirt bikes >200 days a year for decades before WS came along), you can move to Hood River and reverse your priorities.

Mike \m/[/quote]
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what's your weight?
I taught more than 15 surfers to windsurf. At least 10 were making half their jibes on 95 liter boards by the first month. The other 5 were not good athletes in other sports.
Most of the guys were wave riding within 2 weeks of their beginner lesson. True, they had trouble. They crashed on their initial pushtru the whitewater, they fell on inside jibes and sailed into windholes that an experienced OceanBeachSF guy would avoid. OBSF is the hardest place to windsurf in the world....that is actually windsurfed regularly.
There are NO 100 mph winds. You cannot stand up in that.
Maximum winds windsurfed is around 50, and you can't carry the board to the water by yourself.
Get a wind meter.
Isobars was a desert rider, used to wide open spaces. I was a motocrosser, only on tracks. You're looking for a ISDT rider who windsurfs.
dirtbikerdr@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[q good idea those videos and change your priorities. Nash that guy he rips his foot is on a slalomn wound up in ocean Wells I gotta check that out r.i.p I'm all over it thanks man. I still ride a lot and I love it but boy i have by bank myself up. When I retire surfing in Windsurfing is my priority. Of the 6 guys and I used to ride dirt bikes with 3 of them are in wheelchairs for life I've been lucky so far. uote="zirtaeb"]Yeah, what a tough life, riding dirt bikes, surfing, windsurfing, snowboarding, and skiing.
I've eaten more dirt from faceplants than most, have broken quite a few bones, separates, disclocates, sprains, and second the motion windsurfing gives the thrills, but doesn't penalized the spills.
Watch that vid, RIP from Naish. His footage of slalom board wound up in open ocean swells is near orgasmic.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: